GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IGN Review True Crime...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'True Crime: Streets of LA'.
Tue 04/11/03 at 18:05
Regular
... well, the PS2 version anyway. But the Xbox version should be the same, gameplay wise, and better looking, right?

Here's what they have to say, anyway:

Closing Comments
True Crime is an enjoyable game if you can clear your mind of Grand Theft Auto expectations. The integration of story and gameplay is very nice, but there's a strong possibility that the majority of people won't get it at first because the tendency will be to play this game as if they already know what they're doing.
The consequences of your actions and nonactions are huge in True Crime and dramatically change your level of recklessness. It's a storyline that unfolds like a criminal investigation in a good cop show but imagine that you can hop into any point in that show and interact with characters to change the outcome. Now imagine that that interacting includes a rich fighting component, a deep shooting mechanic and a full driving game and you determine when and to what extent you do what. That's what we've been given here. It's a lot of fun despite the burden of the camera system and other technical glitches.

It doesn't, nor should it, replace Grand Theft Auto by any means. True Crime has enough good to counter the bad and stand on its own.

out of 10
10.0 Presentation
Tons of well produced cutscenes, great voice actors and damn near every street in LA.

7.5 Graphics
The scope of the game's look is amazing but the characters and technical hitches really hurt. (It's better looking than GTA: VC, but one year later, visual expectations are higher.)

8.0 Sound
Outstanding voice acting because they're pros and the soundtrack is chock full of that West Coast vibe.

9.0 Gameplay
Super deep fighting, shooting and driving all come together to drive the story the way you want.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
It's nice and heavy for a single player game, but there will also be a lot of repetition because of your early incompetence.

9.0 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

- - - -

So, what do you reckon now then?
Tue 04/11/03 at 18:05
Regular
... well, the PS2 version anyway. But the Xbox version should be the same, gameplay wise, and better looking, right?

Here's what they have to say, anyway:

Closing Comments
True Crime is an enjoyable game if you can clear your mind of Grand Theft Auto expectations. The integration of story and gameplay is very nice, but there's a strong possibility that the majority of people won't get it at first because the tendency will be to play this game as if they already know what they're doing.
The consequences of your actions and nonactions are huge in True Crime and dramatically change your level of recklessness. It's a storyline that unfolds like a criminal investigation in a good cop show but imagine that you can hop into any point in that show and interact with characters to change the outcome. Now imagine that that interacting includes a rich fighting component, a deep shooting mechanic and a full driving game and you determine when and to what extent you do what. That's what we've been given here. It's a lot of fun despite the burden of the camera system and other technical glitches.

It doesn't, nor should it, replace Grand Theft Auto by any means. True Crime has enough good to counter the bad and stand on its own.

out of 10
10.0 Presentation
Tons of well produced cutscenes, great voice actors and damn near every street in LA.

7.5 Graphics
The scope of the game's look is amazing but the characters and technical hitches really hurt. (It's better looking than GTA: VC, but one year later, visual expectations are higher.)

8.0 Sound
Outstanding voice acting because they're pros and the soundtrack is chock full of that West Coast vibe.

9.0 Gameplay
Super deep fighting, shooting and driving all come together to drive the story the way you want.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
It's nice and heavy for a single player game, but there will also be a lot of repetition because of your early incompetence.

9.0 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

- - - -

So, what do you reckon now then?
Tue 04/11/03 at 18:14
Regular
Get the GTA double pack thats what I reckon. The demo was awful and that was two complete levels. Also there is an Xbox review out from IGN. Oh and IGN give stupidly high marks out, I will wait for the Gamespot review and then see.
Tue 04/11/03 at 18:33
Regular
"Whatever!"
Still not that convinced at the moment after the terrible demo I played. Will wait for a few more reviews before I decide to rent it or not
Tue 04/11/03 at 20:43
Regular
IGN do rate incredibly highly. I haven't trusted a thing they have said since they gave the appaling Black & White 9.8/10. Once more reviews come out we'll see whether it's worth it or not.
Wed 05/11/03 at 07:51
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm glad it's not a carbon copy of GTA. It sounds "deeper" than I thought it would be. A big, single-player game set on the streets of LA with a good story - I'll be getting it.
Wed 05/11/03 at 14:46
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
im sure i read somewhere that gamespot gave it 7.1 or something.
I for one am looking forward to this and should get my copy 2morrow unless it gets put back at the last minute.
Wed 05/11/03 at 23:37
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
mr sunday night wrote:
> im sure i read somewhere that gamespot gave it 7.1 or something.
> I for one am looking forward to this and should get my copy 2morrow
> unless it gets put back at the last minute.

7.2 for the XBox version. Doubt it will be put back as its released in the US now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.