GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Wars Trench Run (iPhone/iPod Touch)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Wars Trench Run'.
Mon 22/03/10 at 14:34
"possibly impossible"
I remember smokey old arcades holding the sort of magical charm you just can’t get these days (alongside the throat cancer and goodness knows what else from the chip shop next door) and most of all I remember one arcade cabinet that seemed to sit proudly in the corner, gathering glances from its muffled sampled speech.

The game was Star Wars and it consisted of a few levels of shooting and dodging, that’s all. But it WAS Star Wars, you could use an X-wing to fight Tie Fighers, you got to be Luke Skywalker and take on the Death Star and you got Obi Wan telling you to “Use the Force”.

And so we come to the modern day and the wonder of the iPhone. THQ has created a Star Wars app which aims to recapture that same Arcade feeling but with up-to-date graphics and scenes from the movie.

Starting off with a battle over the surface of the planet shaped death machine you tilt the iPhone to steer your sleek X-wing while pressing the bottom right for weapons and bottom left to use a ‘force power’ which slows down the action (think Bullet Time).

Once all the pesky fighters are destroyed it’s on to the Death Star trenches and weaving in and out of the girders while avoiding or shooting the cannons that aim to stop you (hah, no chance!). Finally a shadow looms behind you and you swerve to avoid the enemy fire from none other than Darth Vader himself before (hopefully) making a final run to launch those torpedoes at the heart of the Death Star and legging it.

It may be short but it’s certainly sweet for Star Wars fans who loved the arcade machine. Arcade mode will let you play the scenes over again with increasing difficulty, trying to raise your score on the leaderboard, while Mission mode will let you play from start to finish.

Completing on Easy mode is, well, easy, but pick Jedi mode and you’ll have your work cut out for you.

Graphically the game looks very slick and now its been updated it moves smoothly on any iPhone or Touch, scenes and sounds from the movie add a professional touch to the game and make it well worth the price, with only the length of the game letting it down slightly.

8/10
Mon 22/03/10 at 14:34
"possibly impossible"
I remember smokey old arcades holding the sort of magical charm you just can’t get these days (alongside the throat cancer and goodness knows what else from the chip shop next door) and most of all I remember one arcade cabinet that seemed to sit proudly in the corner, gathering glances from its muffled sampled speech.

The game was Star Wars and it consisted of a few levels of shooting and dodging, that’s all. But it WAS Star Wars, you could use an X-wing to fight Tie Fighers, you got to be Luke Skywalker and take on the Death Star and you got Obi Wan telling you to “Use the Force”.

And so we come to the modern day and the wonder of the iPhone. THQ has created a Star Wars app which aims to recapture that same Arcade feeling but with up-to-date graphics and scenes from the movie.

Starting off with a battle over the surface of the planet shaped death machine you tilt the iPhone to steer your sleek X-wing while pressing the bottom right for weapons and bottom left to use a ‘force power’ which slows down the action (think Bullet Time).

Once all the pesky fighters are destroyed it’s on to the Death Star trenches and weaving in and out of the girders while avoiding or shooting the cannons that aim to stop you (hah, no chance!). Finally a shadow looms behind you and you swerve to avoid the enemy fire from none other than Darth Vader himself before (hopefully) making a final run to launch those torpedoes at the heart of the Death Star and legging it.

It may be short but it’s certainly sweet for Star Wars fans who loved the arcade machine. Arcade mode will let you play the scenes over again with increasing difficulty, trying to raise your score on the leaderboard, while Mission mode will let you play from start to finish.

Completing on Easy mode is, well, easy, but pick Jedi mode and you’ll have your work cut out for you.

Graphically the game looks very slick and now its been updated it moves smoothly on any iPhone or Touch, scenes and sounds from the movie add a professional touch to the game and make it well worth the price, with only the length of the game letting it down slightly.

8/10
Mon 22/03/10 at 17:11
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm sure we used to play this on the Amiga... I could be wrong. I know it involved travelling that little passage in the deathstar though.
Mon 22/03/10 at 20:25
"possibly impossible"
There have been many versions, especially home versions of the arcade game. This is nearer to the Gamecube classic Rogue Leader (a launch game I proudly still own).

This game, though, looks Like this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.