GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tonight's Semi-Final Rock Contest"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 00:47
Regular
We didn't win.
Surprising really, seeing as these things are always rent-a-crowd. Doesn't matter how you play, get loads of mates down to vote for you and Voila!

A win.

So we roll up at 6pm, unload and set-up, watching another band doing their business all wearing baggy-skate shorts and baseball caps - the requisite nu-metal uniform.
Their drummer sits down and starts to bash out some cheesy rock pattern, double-kick etc and really wants to impress.
We all look at each other and think "Ok, here we go then" and ignore.

We draw 1st on, which means we're the only band to get a soundcheck, just as well seeing as we have a keyboard and a sax to balance, and then sit and talk to those that came to see us.
9pm rolls around and we go up there, start with "Saints & Cynics" and proceed to play right over and through the little 14yr old rock kids standing there drinking hooch and newkie brown.
Finish our set, pack up and sit down to watch Limp Bi..sorry, whatever they were called.
They start, with a bad sign:

Singer has cordless mic
Bass player has cordless bass

So the singer is in the Bermuda Triangle (that strange semi-circle of no-mans land in front of the stage for a requisite 8ft) and the bass player is there as well, spinning about and leaping like a fool.
They do their thing, bass player spins and knocks someone's pint over.

Here's a hint for nu-metal bands: if the music is aggressive, don't clown around, treat rock with respect and rage for your set.
People walked out, leaving just their mates.
Who voted for them and they won, despite being laughably derivative of every jock-rock band you can think of.

Ah well, I got play and that's what matters
Fri 07/09/01 at 00:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
We didn't win.
Surprising really, seeing as these things are always rent-a-crowd. Doesn't matter how you play, get loads of mates down to vote for you and Voila!

A win.

So we roll up at 6pm, unload and set-up, watching another band doing their business all wearing baggy-skate shorts and baseball caps - the requisite nu-metal uniform.
Their drummer sits down and starts to bash out some cheesy rock pattern, double-kick etc and really wants to impress.
We all look at each other and think "Ok, here we go then" and ignore.

We draw 1st on, which means we're the only band to get a soundcheck, just as well seeing as we have a keyboard and a sax to balance, and then sit and talk to those that came to see us.
9pm rolls around and we go up there, start with "Saints & Cynics" and proceed to play right over and through the little 14yr old rock kids standing there drinking hooch and newkie brown.
Finish our set, pack up and sit down to watch Limp Bi..sorry, whatever they were called.
They start, with a bad sign:

Singer has cordless mic
Bass player has cordless bass

So the singer is in the Bermuda Triangle (that strange semi-circle of no-mans land in front of the stage for a requisite 8ft) and the bass player is there as well, spinning about and leaping like a fool.
They do their thing, bass player spins and knocks someone's pint over.

Here's a hint for nu-metal bands: if the music is aggressive, don't clown around, treat rock with respect and rage for your set.
People walked out, leaving just their mates.
Who voted for them and they won, despite being laughably derivative of every jock-rock band you can think of.

Ah well, I got play and that's what matters
Fri 07/09/01 at 00:57
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
the tactics of battle of the bands are mind boggling. In the one's here (the midlands) they have some bizarre rules. They cut the power if you swear for instance. I think that one would have helped you tonight as the Limp Bizkitites were probably 'cussing on the mic tonight'. Speaking of which, had you gone on second, a rendition of Rocking the Suburbs would have given you full marks for irony and you'd have had it in the bag. Also check out this weeks NME for the briefest of snippets on Haven's new single in the single reviews section. They liked it, so maybe they're quite good.
Fri 07/09/01 at 01:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cool, looks like the Haven support might be in the bag for us.

It was really, really funny watching these kids up onstage.
I respect them for doing it, but it was exactly what you imagine a bunch of spotty-teens with nice shiny Marlin gear would sound like, if they had listened to nothing but Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit.

And their mates stood well back and cheered after each song, as did we.
A couple of the crowd threw the rock-sign and shouted "Satan!" a lot in-between songs, they said something back and one of ours said "Nice clothes, you doing paintball after this?"

Audience laughed, they got moody and proceeded to "jump about like you just don't care..muddyfunsters"
I don't know, kids from Essex cussing in da house just doesn't work for me, but hey, they won and good luck to them.

We played, I bust my hand open again and sweated through my shirt.
So all in all, Chinneries in Southend got owned by Parker.
Fri 07/09/01 at 01:08
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
You know defeat is probably good. We don't want you transforming into Lars ulrich overnight upon winning the battle of the bands. It amazes me that a bunch of sweaty Papa Bizkits could get that far. Oh how I would laugh if I saw said bunch of morons get a record contract. Though it sounds dumb every company seems to be jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon..

stay pure- Tool and the Deftones (to a lesser extent) are the only essential metal bands. But they both transcend that pigeon-hole anyway
Fri 07/09/01 at 01:09
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
You know defeat is probably good. We don't want you transforming into Lars ulrich overnight upon winning the battle of the bands. It amazes me that a bunch of sweaty Papa Bizkits could get that far. Oh how I would laugh if I saw said bunch of morons get a record contract. Though it sounds dumb every company seems to be jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon..

stay pure- Tool and the Deftones (to a lesser extent) are the only essential metal bands. But they both transcend that pigeon-hole anyway
Fri 07/09/01 at 01:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
True.

But even for a nu-metal band, they sucked.
Nicked Wes Borland's funky stage-attire, the bass-player was irritating as only a 14yr old "Hey, I play bass! And it has no cord! See me jump about!" can be.
The singer had a cordless mic...that is all that needs to be said.

I like shouty music, still listen to Fudge Tunnel Soulfly, Sepultura, OLD Metallica and the like..but someone ripping off nu-metal?
Seems a tad pointless.

Still, power to them for getting up and having a go, they think they own the planet and let them enjoy that for a while I say.
But it does stick in your throat a bit when you know the only reason they won was because more of their mate voted for them.
Fri 07/09/01 at 10:50
Let's face it, probably a bunch of chimps playing down tuned riffs would have won. Nothing to do with talent, just what's popular.

Try again next year when Limp Bizkit are have had their 15 minutes... :-)
Fri 07/09/01 at 11:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep.

Was funny to watch them though, they were energetic and bouncing around.
But I just kept thinking "thissucksthissucksthissucks"
Fri 07/09/01 at 11:41
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Come on guys! Limp Bizkit arent all that bad. The first album is cool, and just because they went mainstream it doesnt mean they are rubbish, it means that they have developed their songwriting skills so that their style of music is more accessable to a wider audience.
Fri 07/09/01 at 11:52
So you like 'Three Dollar Bill Y'all' but not 'Significant Other'?

I didn't say they were bad, but I can't see them having a lasting career. They *did* define a sound with 'Significant Other', even if it's not really my thing, but it's up to them now to prove they aren't one trick ponies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.