GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet connection hanging"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/03/10 at 11:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
Anyone have an idea what could cause an internet connection to constantly keep hanging ?.It's my Father In Laws machine,it's running on XP (PC itself is running fine).Connection doesn't drop just seems to stop you connecting to anything before working for a bit then stopping again.I have tried new cabling,another modem/router and removed/changed most software I thought could possibly be responsible for the problem (firewall,anti-virus,different browsers) but nothing seems to make any difference.Scanned PC and it seems clean.Tried different BT socket (including obviously the master) and bypassing the ADSL filters but nothing seems to make any difference at all.Could it be an ISP connection issue as opposed to a PC issue ?,has anyone come across this before ?,any help would be gratefully received.Cheers.
Wed 24/03/10 at 22:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice one pete...well done. I also 'dumped' Zone Alarm because of slow running...use AVG Internet Security now....fast as fast can be. Just don't know what's happening to Zone Alarm these days...think they're trying to 'off' load the free edition.
Wed 24/03/10 at 21:24
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just fixed it,woo hoo ! :D

Tried another router,no different so brought PC to my house and hooked it up to my Freeola connection again no different.Decided problem must be software related so embarked on a mass investigation.Problem turned out to be Zone Alarm.I had tried disabling it and running Comodo but that made no difference.So as a last ditch attempt I tried uninstalling it and that seems to have nailed the problem.Thanks ever so much for all your kind help guys,it was really appreciated.Thought I would mention this incase anyone else comes across a similar problem in the future.
Tue 23/03/10 at 19:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
> Yeah,that's what I took DL to mean as well.Cheers for clarifying
> that though.Will let you guys know how I get on.

Sorry both....old age I think....but yes, I meant the networking drivers in your PC :-)
Tue 23/03/10 at 12:55
Regular
"I like turtles"
Yeah,that's what I took DL to mean as well.Cheers for clarifying that though.Will let you guys know how I get on.
Tue 23/03/10 at 11:07
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I'm not sure Pete but Dragonlance could be referring to ethernet (networking) drivers on the actual computer rather than the router.
Mon 22/03/10 at 22:25
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks guys will try both of those suggestions.

I was planning on bringing his PC round to my house and hooking it up to my router (which I know is 100% operational as is my connection).That might give me some idea whether if it's a PC or an connection issue ?.Not sure if there are any new drivers for his router as it's pretty old,but will have a look.

Thanks again for the advice.
Mon 22/03/10 at 19:29
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Evnin pete....

Had this type of problem - hanging and stopping mid-internet session. Turned out to be corrupt ethernet drivers! Updated to newer version and no problems ever since. Just make sure you get the correct drivers :-)
Mon 22/03/10 at 13:21
"Are you sure?"
Have you looked in the router logs to see if anything is being reported?

Also try opening a command prompt (Run, cmd) and pinging a site. 'ping www.google.com' to see if that gets a response when other things appear to be hanging.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 22/03/10 at 11:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
Anyone have an idea what could cause an internet connection to constantly keep hanging ?.It's my Father In Laws machine,it's running on XP (PC itself is running fine).Connection doesn't drop just seems to stop you connecting to anything before working for a bit then stopping again.I have tried new cabling,another modem/router and removed/changed most software I thought could possibly be responsible for the problem (firewall,anti-virus,different browsers) but nothing seems to make any difference.Scanned PC and it seems clean.Tried different BT socket (including obviously the master) and bypassing the ADSL filters but nothing seems to make any difference at all.Could it be an ISP connection issue as opposed to a PC issue ?,has anyone come across this before ?,any help would be gratefully received.Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.