GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] UP"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/10 at 15:52
Regular
"THFC"
UP

Disney & Pixar are surely the masters of animation, they have some great titles under their belt and this curious little film snuck UP on everyone and surprised us I think. While some people claim it to be the best of the latest animation films, others were not so keen on it.

The story is a rather original one; I think everyone can agree on that. Carl is a shy boy who looks UP to his hero Charles Muntz, who is a great adventurer. From what we see of Carl, he is a lonely child who enjoys his own company, until he meets Ellie, an energetic Tomboy who also enjoy adventure. From the moment they meet, they become great friends and film does a nice montage of how they grow up together, get married and then drops a very heavy bomb early on, that they can’t have kids. I thought this was a bit much and not really needed for a kid’s film, anyway – they grow old together in the same home they played in as children. It had always been Ellie’s dream to travel to Paradise Falls in South Africa, so the couple save their money but constantly have to pay out for other things, until it looks like they can finally afford the trip they have both been looking for.......... then Ellie dies. Two rather tragic moments in the first 15 minutes, but I guess that is life.

Carl, who has become a rather bitter old man and stubborn in his ways, lives on in his house, which we soon discover is in the middle of an industrial building site, this once peaceful house that was set in the country has become the last remaining obstacle in a massive building project. The company building are trying to get him to move but with no luck. Carl has a visitor one day, and it turns out to be a rather chubby Wilderness Explorer, named Russell, who seems to be very enthusiastic to help an old man to gain another badge for his belt. Determined to be left in peace, Carl send Russell off on a wild goose chase, well actually he sends him off to search for a wild bird named a “Snipe” (of course this is a made up bird that is meant to drive Russell away)

When a construction worker tries to enter Carl’s front lawn, he gets into a bit of a scuffle and ends up smacking him with a mailbox, now deemed dangerous and senile; he is to be taken off to Shady Oaks Retirement Village. Carl looks to be set to go but unleashes a plan at the last second, he inflates a lot of balloons and lifts his house UP into the air, determined to move the whole house to Paradise Falls, just like his late wife Ellie would have wanted. Once in the air, he gets a knock on the door, curious to see what it is, the young boy Russell has been taken UP in the air with the house and is keen to get inside. The two finally make it to Paradise Falls, but not content with the spot they land, Carl is on a mission to move it next to a waterfall that his wife would have wanted.

Along the way they encounter a rare species of bird and dogs that can talk with collars, the plot does thicken and a couple of surprises awaits our unlikely heroes, but I would not like to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it, as I did enjoy the twists in what happened along the way and was rather surprised of it all to be honest. So that is the start of the film, there is plenty more that goes on in the next hour or so and most of it is very enjoyable!

An odd plot I know, but it does build a nice picture and all comes together fairly well, I was a bit miffed as to why there needed to be two rather adult situations at the start, but it did not bother me, I just thought it may spark some awkward questions from children! That said, it is not all doom and gloom, once on Paradise Falls, there are some nice moments of comedy and I found these to come when a rather stupid dog with the ability to talk via his collar joins the group. It seemed to become more light hearted with this and less serious, which is what the film needed to be, it is a kid’s film!

I did not see the 3-D version of this, but I did catch the Blu-Ray, it looked beautiful and with so many vibrant colours and exotic locations, it was a real treat to see in HD. I am sure 3-D would have looked good and I could see some obvious moments of where it would have been put in. But I am unable to comment any further on that.

I mentioned at the start of the review that some people were very delighted with this film and others now so much; I would be sitting in the middle. It has some nice moments, and at other points it felt to be dragging on and lacked substance. A bit of a mixed film in my view, not the most fun Disney & Pixar film you will see, but visually it looks lovely and does have a charm that will attract many to it. I do not know how children reacted to it, but as an adult watching, it would have to be a rent in Blu-Ray, I do not think it comes close to some of the great animation films we have been lucky to see over the past few years. So based on all of this, I would have to say UP gets a respectable;

7/10
Thu 18/03/10 at 08:08
Regular
"THFC"
The RealD glasses look like normal glasses, just big thick black ones lol.
Wed 17/03/10 at 22:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> I REALLY want to know why 3D has become such a big factor in most
> recent cinema releases now. I heard that they've changed the way
> they create the 3D, but you still have to wear the same blue and
> red glasses?

Depends on the system used. Avatar, Up etc use RealD, you need glasses but they dont have blue/red tinting on them.
Wed 17/03/10 at 16:55
Regular
"How Ironic"
I REALLY want to know why 3D has become such a big factor in most recent cinema releases now. I heard that they've changed the way they create the 3D, but you still have to wear the same blue and red glasses?
Wed 17/03/10 at 15:52
Regular
"THFC"
UP

Disney & Pixar are surely the masters of animation, they have some great titles under their belt and this curious little film snuck UP on everyone and surprised us I think. While some people claim it to be the best of the latest animation films, others were not so keen on it.

The story is a rather original one; I think everyone can agree on that. Carl is a shy boy who looks UP to his hero Charles Muntz, who is a great adventurer. From what we see of Carl, he is a lonely child who enjoys his own company, until he meets Ellie, an energetic Tomboy who also enjoy adventure. From the moment they meet, they become great friends and film does a nice montage of how they grow up together, get married and then drops a very heavy bomb early on, that they can’t have kids. I thought this was a bit much and not really needed for a kid’s film, anyway – they grow old together in the same home they played in as children. It had always been Ellie’s dream to travel to Paradise Falls in South Africa, so the couple save their money but constantly have to pay out for other things, until it looks like they can finally afford the trip they have both been looking for.......... then Ellie dies. Two rather tragic moments in the first 15 minutes, but I guess that is life.

Carl, who has become a rather bitter old man and stubborn in his ways, lives on in his house, which we soon discover is in the middle of an industrial building site, this once peaceful house that was set in the country has become the last remaining obstacle in a massive building project. The company building are trying to get him to move but with no luck. Carl has a visitor one day, and it turns out to be a rather chubby Wilderness Explorer, named Russell, who seems to be very enthusiastic to help an old man to gain another badge for his belt. Determined to be left in peace, Carl send Russell off on a wild goose chase, well actually he sends him off to search for a wild bird named a “Snipe” (of course this is a made up bird that is meant to drive Russell away)

When a construction worker tries to enter Carl’s front lawn, he gets into a bit of a scuffle and ends up smacking him with a mailbox, now deemed dangerous and senile; he is to be taken off to Shady Oaks Retirement Village. Carl looks to be set to go but unleashes a plan at the last second, he inflates a lot of balloons and lifts his house UP into the air, determined to move the whole house to Paradise Falls, just like his late wife Ellie would have wanted. Once in the air, he gets a knock on the door, curious to see what it is, the young boy Russell has been taken UP in the air with the house and is keen to get inside. The two finally make it to Paradise Falls, but not content with the spot they land, Carl is on a mission to move it next to a waterfall that his wife would have wanted.

Along the way they encounter a rare species of bird and dogs that can talk with collars, the plot does thicken and a couple of surprises awaits our unlikely heroes, but I would not like to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it, as I did enjoy the twists in what happened along the way and was rather surprised of it all to be honest. So that is the start of the film, there is plenty more that goes on in the next hour or so and most of it is very enjoyable!

An odd plot I know, but it does build a nice picture and all comes together fairly well, I was a bit miffed as to why there needed to be two rather adult situations at the start, but it did not bother me, I just thought it may spark some awkward questions from children! That said, it is not all doom and gloom, once on Paradise Falls, there are some nice moments of comedy and I found these to come when a rather stupid dog with the ability to talk via his collar joins the group. It seemed to become more light hearted with this and less serious, which is what the film needed to be, it is a kid’s film!

I did not see the 3-D version of this, but I did catch the Blu-Ray, it looked beautiful and with so many vibrant colours and exotic locations, it was a real treat to see in HD. I am sure 3-D would have looked good and I could see some obvious moments of where it would have been put in. But I am unable to comment any further on that.

I mentioned at the start of the review that some people were very delighted with this film and others now so much; I would be sitting in the middle. It has some nice moments, and at other points it felt to be dragging on and lacked substance. A bit of a mixed film in my view, not the most fun Disney & Pixar film you will see, but visually it looks lovely and does have a charm that will attract many to it. I do not know how children reacted to it, but as an adult watching, it would have to be a rent in Blu-Ray, I do not think it comes close to some of the great animation films we have been lucky to see over the past few years. So based on all of this, I would have to say UP gets a respectable;

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.