GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce'.
Wed 17/03/10 at 14:50
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce

I am sure most people will have heard of the Dynasty Warrior titles, with plenty of games coming out and the direction of these games changing all the time, for fans of the original it is difficult to see what is coming next.

From my experience with the series, Strikeforce is as much as possible, back to basics. You choose which clan you would like to fight as (Wu, Wei and Shu), then choose a character within these clans. Old favourites that featured in the earlier games are even back, the likes of Gan Ning and Lu Xun. The game revolves around each clan wanting to prove the power and take control of China.

The noticeable changes from earlier games include a village before embarking on quests, where you can level up your weapons, and add party members to make up a team of 4 generals to fight through the various quests and take down the other clans and warriors. Within the village you can purchase orbs, which attach to your hands and feet (up to 4) and add special abilities, such as double jump, faster running and stronger attacks (plus loads more), these appear on your characters in game and are in the shape of stars and other brightly coloured objects, which you might have seen in trailers. You can level up your village to then make better weapons and orbs etc.

That is only a small part of the game, the real meat of it comes through battling the hundreds of fighters that are attacking or defending certain points and taking down the more powerful generals and getting closer to being the strongest clan in China. There are various stages within each level that you will need to pass through in order to complete each mission/quest. You will have a main goal and some sub goals that will give extra items and exp; all these come in handy when increasing the characters abilities and weapons etc. Your chosen character will level up steadily after missions and the strength, HP and other aspects will all increase, adding a nice RPG element to a classic hack and slash style game.

There is not too much more to the game than this, there are a couple of newer options that add life, such as being able to go online and join 3 other generals in missions. This can be fun if with friends, but when online with random people, I found them running off to be a Hero and dying very quickly. It is still a nice touch to have an online dynasty warriors, I had a lot of fun on the Ps2 playing with friends in the older games. Another nice addition is the ability to collect cards of the various generals in your clan that add bonuses when assigned to stages in the levels before you start a mission. Adding a tactical element to the game also. So there are various dimensions to this once basic game, making for some big improvements to what could seem an out dated game. This of course leads to credit of the developers, keeping an old game fresh and exciting in an ever changing industry.

Graphically the game ticks all the boxes but does not push any limits, the cut scenes looks nice and the games flows smoothly. Better than average, but after seeing some games, it is not quite at the same heights! The controls are basic, run and hit x and o and y...... just bash the buttons to jump and attack. So you do not have to be the best games player in the world to have a go, but it does get tricky and some enemies you face will prove hard! So easy to pick up and play, but a bit harder to actually master and get to the later missions with.

Any fan of the classic games will find something in here to keep them excited for a while. Like any Dynasty Warriors game, it gets repetitive and once you play 4 levels, you have pretty much played them all. So this is always a major downfall and why unless you are a fanatic of these kinds of games, it is a rental not a buy. One of the cooler aspects is the old Musou bar, as you attack it fills up and when it gets to the end, you can transform into a rather cool looking version of yourself to unleash powerful attacks and jump incredibly high. (It gave me the same warm feeling that transforming into a Super Sayian does....)

So there you have it, a cool game that has been revamped and brought to 2010 to keep it alive and fresh, but the nature of this games genre leads to poor replay ability and repetitiveness. Based on all these factors, I think the game scores a respectable;

7.5/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/03/10 at 14:50
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce

I am sure most people will have heard of the Dynasty Warrior titles, with plenty of games coming out and the direction of these games changing all the time, for fans of the original it is difficult to see what is coming next.

From my experience with the series, Strikeforce is as much as possible, back to basics. You choose which clan you would like to fight as (Wu, Wei and Shu), then choose a character within these clans. Old favourites that featured in the earlier games are even back, the likes of Gan Ning and Lu Xun. The game revolves around each clan wanting to prove the power and take control of China.

The noticeable changes from earlier games include a village before embarking on quests, where you can level up your weapons, and add party members to make up a team of 4 generals to fight through the various quests and take down the other clans and warriors. Within the village you can purchase orbs, which attach to your hands and feet (up to 4) and add special abilities, such as double jump, faster running and stronger attacks (plus loads more), these appear on your characters in game and are in the shape of stars and other brightly coloured objects, which you might have seen in trailers. You can level up your village to then make better weapons and orbs etc.

That is only a small part of the game, the real meat of it comes through battling the hundreds of fighters that are attacking or defending certain points and taking down the more powerful generals and getting closer to being the strongest clan in China. There are various stages within each level that you will need to pass through in order to complete each mission/quest. You will have a main goal and some sub goals that will give extra items and exp; all these come in handy when increasing the characters abilities and weapons etc. Your chosen character will level up steadily after missions and the strength, HP and other aspects will all increase, adding a nice RPG element to a classic hack and slash style game.

There is not too much more to the game than this, there are a couple of newer options that add life, such as being able to go online and join 3 other generals in missions. This can be fun if with friends, but when online with random people, I found them running off to be a Hero and dying very quickly. It is still a nice touch to have an online dynasty warriors, I had a lot of fun on the Ps2 playing with friends in the older games. Another nice addition is the ability to collect cards of the various generals in your clan that add bonuses when assigned to stages in the levels before you start a mission. Adding a tactical element to the game also. So there are various dimensions to this once basic game, making for some big improvements to what could seem an out dated game. This of course leads to credit of the developers, keeping an old game fresh and exciting in an ever changing industry.

Graphically the game ticks all the boxes but does not push any limits, the cut scenes looks nice and the games flows smoothly. Better than average, but after seeing some games, it is not quite at the same heights! The controls are basic, run and hit x and o and y...... just bash the buttons to jump and attack. So you do not have to be the best games player in the world to have a go, but it does get tricky and some enemies you face will prove hard! So easy to pick up and play, but a bit harder to actually master and get to the later missions with.

Any fan of the classic games will find something in here to keep them excited for a while. Like any Dynasty Warriors game, it gets repetitive and once you play 4 levels, you have pretty much played them all. So this is always a major downfall and why unless you are a fanatic of these kinds of games, it is a rental not a buy. One of the cooler aspects is the old Musou bar, as you attack it fills up and when it gets to the end, you can transform into a rather cool looking version of yourself to unleash powerful attacks and jump incredibly high. (It gave me the same warm feeling that transforming into a Super Sayian does....)

So there you have it, a cool game that has been revamped and brought to 2010 to keep it alive and fresh, but the nature of this games genre leads to poor replay ability and repetitiveness. Based on all these factors, I think the game scores a respectable;

7.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.