GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Alice 3-D"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/10 at 12:09
Regular
"THFC"
Alice in Wonderland 3-D

Possibly this year’s most anticipated film? Well Tim Burton and Johnny Depp always make for an exciting mix. While in my opinion, the film is good, it is not great.

For anyone who might not know, this is not a remake of the original film. In this adventure, we see Alice at the age of 19, her father has passed away and she is expected to marry the rather annoying Lord Hamish, at a garden party she is attending with her Mother. Alice has always been a bit of a dreamer and even used to tell her father about the dreams she had of going to a place in her sleep called Wonderland, Alice’s father was much of the same mind and had mad ideas that proved profitable for his company. So with her father dead, Alice misses him very much and is trapped in a posh world where she feels she does not belong.

So when she is talking to Hamish’s mum and gets distracted by a white rabbit that is running around the bushes, it is needless to say she takes little encouraging going after it. Doing so results in her falling down a hole next to a tree away from the party, and lands her back to the famous room with the table. Even people who never saw the original (which I do not think I did, I vaguely know the story but it is not something I can fully recall). SO Alice has to go through the same deal as before, drinking strange liquids and eating odd foods, to grow and shrink and finally make her way out of the door and where she meets the Rabbit, Door mouse and the Tweedles. Some big names in this film, with Barbra Windsor being the Door mouse and Matt Lucas playing both Tweedles, in my opinion, Matt Lucas does brilliantly in playing these two and really makes them stand out as characters.

So Alice is back in Wonderland but she can’t remember being here before, everyone else she meets has great expectations that she will be able to free Wonderland from the evil Queen of Hearts and makes it the place it once was. Even when she meets the Mad Hatter she has no recollection of him. But he is sure she is the same girl as before. So that is the story set in a nutshell, there are a couple of twists but nothing major, I just did not want to spoil anything for people who have yet to see it.

The story is ok; I felt it was predictable and somewhat flat in places. I never felt like I had to see what was going to happen next, or what someone was going to do. A lot of people will be looking to Johnny Depp for his usual brilliance and genius role in a film and while he is good, I did not feel he was up to his usual standard. I disliked the way he went Scottish every time he was angry. But he does a good job most the way through and I found it all very watchable and at parts enjoyable. I know this is not what a lot of people will be expecting to hear, but I did feel a little bit let down at the end and like I was not satisfied, I wanted something more. Just my opinion and I am sure you would all have yours.

The next big feature about watching the film in 3-D, is of course the 3-D. Now I did not know, but I was informed it was not intended as a 3-D and as such was all done in post production, well all I can say is that it shows. Looking back I do not think I could recall one moment of 3-D that made me think, wow – that looked good. I would suggest watching it in 2-D and saving yourself a few quid (well actually I would rent it on Blu-Ray when it comes out, but that’s just me!)

I know I do sound negative when talking about this, but I think there was so much hype and I was really looking forward to a big 3-D film to blow me away with all aspects, just to be left a bit disappointed.

I would suggest going to watch it with the kids as I reckon they would like it, and there were references to the original film which I did not get, so this may have hindered my experience with the film. However, it probably is worth seeing in the cinema if you’re a fan of the original and Tim Burton, but my advice would be do not expect to be blown away, it is an average film in my views, with Matt Lucas being a stand out character and Johnny Depp having a couple of good moments. So for all of that, I will give it a;

6.5/10 (maybe a 7 or more if I had seen the original)
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/03/10 at 12:09
Regular
"THFC"
Alice in Wonderland 3-D

Possibly this year’s most anticipated film? Well Tim Burton and Johnny Depp always make for an exciting mix. While in my opinion, the film is good, it is not great.

For anyone who might not know, this is not a remake of the original film. In this adventure, we see Alice at the age of 19, her father has passed away and she is expected to marry the rather annoying Lord Hamish, at a garden party she is attending with her Mother. Alice has always been a bit of a dreamer and even used to tell her father about the dreams she had of going to a place in her sleep called Wonderland, Alice’s father was much of the same mind and had mad ideas that proved profitable for his company. So with her father dead, Alice misses him very much and is trapped in a posh world where she feels she does not belong.

So when she is talking to Hamish’s mum and gets distracted by a white rabbit that is running around the bushes, it is needless to say she takes little encouraging going after it. Doing so results in her falling down a hole next to a tree away from the party, and lands her back to the famous room with the table. Even people who never saw the original (which I do not think I did, I vaguely know the story but it is not something I can fully recall). SO Alice has to go through the same deal as before, drinking strange liquids and eating odd foods, to grow and shrink and finally make her way out of the door and where she meets the Rabbit, Door mouse and the Tweedles. Some big names in this film, with Barbra Windsor being the Door mouse and Matt Lucas playing both Tweedles, in my opinion, Matt Lucas does brilliantly in playing these two and really makes them stand out as characters.

So Alice is back in Wonderland but she can’t remember being here before, everyone else she meets has great expectations that she will be able to free Wonderland from the evil Queen of Hearts and makes it the place it once was. Even when she meets the Mad Hatter she has no recollection of him. But he is sure she is the same girl as before. So that is the story set in a nutshell, there are a couple of twists but nothing major, I just did not want to spoil anything for people who have yet to see it.

The story is ok; I felt it was predictable and somewhat flat in places. I never felt like I had to see what was going to happen next, or what someone was going to do. A lot of people will be looking to Johnny Depp for his usual brilliance and genius role in a film and while he is good, I did not feel he was up to his usual standard. I disliked the way he went Scottish every time he was angry. But he does a good job most the way through and I found it all very watchable and at parts enjoyable. I know this is not what a lot of people will be expecting to hear, but I did feel a little bit let down at the end and like I was not satisfied, I wanted something more. Just my opinion and I am sure you would all have yours.

The next big feature about watching the film in 3-D, is of course the 3-D. Now I did not know, but I was informed it was not intended as a 3-D and as such was all done in post production, well all I can say is that it shows. Looking back I do not think I could recall one moment of 3-D that made me think, wow – that looked good. I would suggest watching it in 2-D and saving yourself a few quid (well actually I would rent it on Blu-Ray when it comes out, but that’s just me!)

I know I do sound negative when talking about this, but I think there was so much hype and I was really looking forward to a big 3-D film to blow me away with all aspects, just to be left a bit disappointed.

I would suggest going to watch it with the kids as I reckon they would like it, and there were references to the original film which I did not get, so this may have hindered my experience with the film. However, it probably is worth seeing in the cinema if you’re a fan of the original and Tim Burton, but my advice would be do not expect to be blown away, it is an average film in my views, with Matt Lucas being a stand out character and Johnny Depp having a couple of good moments. So for all of that, I will give it a;

6.5/10 (maybe a 7 or more if I had seen the original)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.