GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] MAG - Ps3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'MAG'.
Wed 17/03/10 at 11:22
Regular
"THFC"
MAG (Massive Action Game) – Ps3

If there is one thing hat modern consoles are not short of, it has to be FPS games. It seems there is a new one coming out every other week and too many of them fall below the great games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield, and some of them are just very poorly made to try and generate sales in a huge market!

MAG has been one of them FPS’s that a lot of people have been waiting for, allowing 256 players to compete in teams in one map. This is the games big selling point and was the reason everyone was talking about it. It seemed that everything else fell behind the fact there was going to be such huge numbers of players online. I think it was key for the game to establish a unique point to distance itself from a lot of the other competitors, but it is a shame that they did not focus as heavily on the gameplay and all other features this great FPS has to offer. So here is my review of what I can only describe as a Massive Awesome Game(see what I did there!

Graphics
So many people say graphics don’t make a game and that it is shallow to think so, but face it, the graphics do help make a game. MAG is nowhere near as polished as Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2; that is not to say the graphics are bad but I think due to the size of the games and maps, then it was always going to suffer. They are still much better than a lot of games when you play in HD, but I found it all to be a bit dark in places and not as smooth around the edges as other top games. Nothing major, just an aspect that they will undoubtedly work on if a sequel is made.

Gameplay & Game Modes
There is no Campaign mode to this game, you play online, or you don’t play at all! (Except training)

The idea is that you create you avatar character and send him (not sure if you can be a her?) into one of 3 factions; RAVEN, VALOR and SVER. You all battle against each other over various items, but it all boils down to the price of war, trying to gain oil or defend it. So no real story, just pick a side, I went with VALOR as they are part Europe. As I am only using the one avatar, I do not know if there are any major differences between the factions. I know their spawn spots are always the same in each Map and from what I have read, Valor do suffer from having a disadvantage with poor spawn spots, compared to SVER. But this is just things I have read and have no real bearing on how the game plays.

When you first start out at Rank 1, you can only play basic Team Deathmatch, with only about 32 players in a game. Simple stuff, just kill each other and then which team dies the most, loses! As you play through games you gain XP per kill, assist, repairing vehicles or for healing other people. (Later on you also gain XP for completing objectives in missions) So you rank up, unlock skill points, for you to spend on customising your character with new weapons and abilities. Such as being able to resurrect players, repair vehicles quicker, better guns or scopes. There is a wide variety to help you make your player stronger and much more able in battle.

While ranking up will help significantly make you stand a better chance in battle, you will unlock new game modes, and when you reach Rank 8, you can finally enter the 256 player game, that last 30 minutes, unless the attacking team win before then. But it also allows you to become a squad leader (and various other leaders). In the larger games there are squads and platoons. If you are in charge of these then you can issue commands, such as; what target you want your team to attack, call in an airstrike, or a UAV. Nifty little features to boost points and let you score much higher in game. When you issue commands, your squad will gain extra XP if they complete the objectives you set. So this does help keep people together somewhat.

As you can see, there is a lot to this game, and much more than just loads of players. The objective based games really make for fun gaming and give the whole game a lot more purpose; it is more like the old Battlefield games on the PC than anything else. Which is fantastic news for me. It plays well and the controls are pretty standard. Anyone used to MW2 should not have a hard time picking this up. I notice that ranking up really helps with being better in game, the weapons and sights do make a lot of difference in my views and as such, I focused on one type of class and ranked that up as quick as I could. Being a squad leader is daunting at first, but you get used to it, and in the end – find yourself getting frustrated you’re not able to get the role, because too many other people are trying for it as well.

Overview
I think I covered most aspects in the above section, and you can tell by how much I have rambled on for, that there is a lot to discover in this game. There was a lot of hype about the number of players in a game and how they thought the games would suffer. Well I can confirm that on a slow internet connection via cable to my Ps3, I have suffered minimal lag and no disconnects. That is after a lot of games, I am about rank 23 or something and I have been so impressed with the connection and server side of things.

If you enjoy FPS’s then this is worth a look, it is a real gem and once you get passed the first few games and start to uncover the objective based games and new weapons and perks. Things really open up and you will discover a wonderful game that keeps you playing again and again (well I will when I get the internet back at home!) It is a bold statement to say, but MAG is the reason I stopped playing Modern Warfare 2, I was enjoying it that much.

I strongly suggest you have a look at this game! Thanks for reading.
9/10

It failed the 10 due to graphics I would have to say!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/03/10 at 11:22
Regular
"THFC"
MAG (Massive Action Game) – Ps3

If there is one thing hat modern consoles are not short of, it has to be FPS games. It seems there is a new one coming out every other week and too many of them fall below the great games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield, and some of them are just very poorly made to try and generate sales in a huge market!

MAG has been one of them FPS’s that a lot of people have been waiting for, allowing 256 players to compete in teams in one map. This is the games big selling point and was the reason everyone was talking about it. It seemed that everything else fell behind the fact there was going to be such huge numbers of players online. I think it was key for the game to establish a unique point to distance itself from a lot of the other competitors, but it is a shame that they did not focus as heavily on the gameplay and all other features this great FPS has to offer. So here is my review of what I can only describe as a Massive Awesome Game(see what I did there!

Graphics
So many people say graphics don’t make a game and that it is shallow to think so, but face it, the graphics do help make a game. MAG is nowhere near as polished as Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2; that is not to say the graphics are bad but I think due to the size of the games and maps, then it was always going to suffer. They are still much better than a lot of games when you play in HD, but I found it all to be a bit dark in places and not as smooth around the edges as other top games. Nothing major, just an aspect that they will undoubtedly work on if a sequel is made.

Gameplay & Game Modes
There is no Campaign mode to this game, you play online, or you don’t play at all! (Except training)

The idea is that you create you avatar character and send him (not sure if you can be a her?) into one of 3 factions; RAVEN, VALOR and SVER. You all battle against each other over various items, but it all boils down to the price of war, trying to gain oil or defend it. So no real story, just pick a side, I went with VALOR as they are part Europe. As I am only using the one avatar, I do not know if there are any major differences between the factions. I know their spawn spots are always the same in each Map and from what I have read, Valor do suffer from having a disadvantage with poor spawn spots, compared to SVER. But this is just things I have read and have no real bearing on how the game plays.

When you first start out at Rank 1, you can only play basic Team Deathmatch, with only about 32 players in a game. Simple stuff, just kill each other and then which team dies the most, loses! As you play through games you gain XP per kill, assist, repairing vehicles or for healing other people. (Later on you also gain XP for completing objectives in missions) So you rank up, unlock skill points, for you to spend on customising your character with new weapons and abilities. Such as being able to resurrect players, repair vehicles quicker, better guns or scopes. There is a wide variety to help you make your player stronger and much more able in battle.

While ranking up will help significantly make you stand a better chance in battle, you will unlock new game modes, and when you reach Rank 8, you can finally enter the 256 player game, that last 30 minutes, unless the attacking team win before then. But it also allows you to become a squad leader (and various other leaders). In the larger games there are squads and platoons. If you are in charge of these then you can issue commands, such as; what target you want your team to attack, call in an airstrike, or a UAV. Nifty little features to boost points and let you score much higher in game. When you issue commands, your squad will gain extra XP if they complete the objectives you set. So this does help keep people together somewhat.

As you can see, there is a lot to this game, and much more than just loads of players. The objective based games really make for fun gaming and give the whole game a lot more purpose; it is more like the old Battlefield games on the PC than anything else. Which is fantastic news for me. It plays well and the controls are pretty standard. Anyone used to MW2 should not have a hard time picking this up. I notice that ranking up really helps with being better in game, the weapons and sights do make a lot of difference in my views and as such, I focused on one type of class and ranked that up as quick as I could. Being a squad leader is daunting at first, but you get used to it, and in the end – find yourself getting frustrated you’re not able to get the role, because too many other people are trying for it as well.

Overview
I think I covered most aspects in the above section, and you can tell by how much I have rambled on for, that there is a lot to discover in this game. There was a lot of hype about the number of players in a game and how they thought the games would suffer. Well I can confirm that on a slow internet connection via cable to my Ps3, I have suffered minimal lag and no disconnects. That is after a lot of games, I am about rank 23 or something and I have been so impressed with the connection and server side of things.

If you enjoy FPS’s then this is worth a look, it is a real gem and once you get passed the first few games and start to uncover the objective based games and new weapons and perks. Things really open up and you will discover a wonderful game that keeps you playing again and again (well I will when I get the internet back at home!) It is a bold statement to say, but MAG is the reason I stopped playing Modern Warfare 2, I was enjoying it that much.

I strongly suggest you have a look at this game! Thanks for reading.
9/10

It failed the 10 due to graphics I would have to say!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.