GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Changing page titles"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/03/10 at 21:30
Regular
Sorry to double post but its a slightly different subject from before

Using Instant pro:-

If I choose to change the page name in the "Edit page settings"

but choose NOT to "Update Page Web Address (URL)"

I am changing Only the actual name of the page not the page URL that has been indexed before?

Hope that makes sense

Hugh
Wed 17/03/10 at 12:45
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Sorry 404**
Wed 17/03/10 at 12:25
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> Any old links that become broking due to you changing your page
> titles (and updating the link structure at the same time) will
> simply be 301 redirected back to your homepage.

As I hinted at in the other post, that's not quite what I see ;¬)

If a visitor follows a link that doesn't end in .html then they get redirected to the home page as LukeM says:
http://www.hmmm.myfreeola.com/hmmm

But if they follow a link or search engine result to a correctly formed .html page that doesn't exist then they stay on the site but receive a formatted error:
www.hmmm.myfreeola.com/hmmm.html

EDIT:
FWIW For the malformed page that redirects to the home page a header check shows it to be a 404 not a 301...
Server Response: http://www.hmmm.myfreeola.com/hmmm
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 17/03/10 at 12:11
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I would say "Domestic Pest Control" could be better since it contains more keywords and is a bit more specific.

Any old links that become broking due to you changing your page titles (and updating the link structure at the same time) will simply be 301 redirected back to your homepage.

That means until Google visits your site again, any old links will send people to your homepage so all is not lost.

As for how long it takes for Google to reindex, that depends on how much they "like" your site. Don't take me literally on that, it's just it varies from site to site. I would say a few weeks is the maximum amount of time it would take IMHO.
Wed 17/03/10 at 09:44
Regular
Didnt want to sound dumb by asking the obvious !!Just wanted to check :-)

For the SEO though it would have been better to title the "Domestic" page "Domestic Pest Control" am I correct?

Another question please along the lines of Hmms answer

If I DO change the "Domestic" to "Domestic Pest Control" and do Change the URL,
A. People clicking on a link from google to the now ex"Domestic"
page will just go to a 404 not found page?

b. How long would it take for google to reindex it ?
Tue 16/03/10 at 21:48
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Correct! Only the title of the page gets updated unless the update url option is checked.
Tue 16/03/10 at 21:30
Regular
Sorry to double post but its a slightly different subject from before

Using Instant pro:-

If I choose to change the page name in the "Edit page settings"

but choose NOT to "Update Page Web Address (URL)"

I am changing Only the actual name of the page not the page URL that has been indexed before?

Hope that makes sense

Hugh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.