GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Side bar navigation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/03/10 at 09:58
Regular
Hello all :-)

Just a quick question if I may

I have tried changing the nav bar to the side, as when its on top I think perhaps people dont see that it moves to and frow as it were.
When moved to the side the Nav bar has a dirty great big black square above it, is it because of the banner being the wrong size?

Thanks
Hugh
Tue 16/03/10 at 18:00
Regular
Thanks Hmm
will do

Thanks again Hugh
Tue 16/03/10 at 11:13
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dograt,

If you change the actual page names then Google (and the others) will have to re-index the page as it currently has the old name in it's index. So if you are already getting good results I wouldn't recommend doing that.

TIP: Use the Google site: command (site:www.yoursite.com) to see the pages it has indexed.

To see how InstantPro copes if a visitor clicks one of the results for a page you've renamed try typing some junk in the page address:
i.e. www.guardianpestcontrol.co.uk/domesticHmmm.html

Re. the banner image.
The layout of the site is better with the side navigation but your image doesn't look as sharp. I'm guessing you've just resized the last one or over-compressed it, to fit. I would create it from scratch again so that it's as good as your last one.

If you haven't got a large image to use then you could 'cut' the original between the text and wasp and insert/clone some of the background to make the graphic wider.

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Tue 16/03/10 at 10:01
Regular
If I now change the titles of some of the pages eg

Domestic I want to change to Domestic Pest Control

will this make any difference? eg if someone searches and clicks on my page which was Domestic will they still get there? now I have changed the page name?

Hope that makes sense
Tue 16/03/10 at 09:57
Regular
Yes thats worked,

thanks yet again freeola peeps :-)
Mon 15/03/10 at 21:42
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
That block is part of your banner image. What happens if you re-upload the image?
Mon 15/03/10 at 21:19
Regular
Hi Freeola chaps
I have changed the nav bar to the side and the big black block is showing
My site is www.guardianpestcontrol.co.uk

I do like the side nav alot better than on top just like hmmm says it does make it alot easier to navigate as I could open alot of the other pages up from the side.

so over to the tech guys whats the Big black block ! :-)

regards
Hugh
Mon 15/03/10 at 17:36
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I would go along with what Hmmm... says, try it out and link us to your site and we can take a look. It really depends on what style of navigation you choose and your theme also, so we can't really help until you apply the style of navigation you want so we can see what is wrong.
Mon 15/03/10 at 13:46
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dograt,
I see you've gone back to the horizontal navigation at the moment. You might have to change it to 'side' and let the Freeola staffies take a look to see what could be going on within InstantPro.

I'm not a fan of the horizontal navigation either - I guess it's ok if you've only a few links so your visitors don't have to scroll but otherwise, as you say, some people won't see the hidden links.

I've gone for the side navigation on my InstantPro site.
Mon 15/03/10 at 09:58
Regular
Hello all :-)

Just a quick question if I may

I have tried changing the nav bar to the side, as when its on top I think perhaps people dont see that it moves to and frow as it were.
When moved to the side the Nav bar has a dirty great big black square above it, is it because of the banner being the wrong size?

Thanks
Hugh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.