GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] The number 23 (some spoilers, separate from main review)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/02/07 at 17:55
Regular
Well went to see this on friday, expecting great things, came away feeling a bit short changed to be honest. The trailer suggested that Carreys character discovered an enigma in the number 23. The number 23 crops up in all sorts of places in life - major disasters occured on the 23rd of a month, or on the third of february (2/3) and many other paranoid variations on this. Murderers names had 23 letters or the number 23 could be derived by adding/multiplying the numbers of letters etc.

So naturally I attended the cinema expecting to get my teeth into a great paranormal horrorfest, but I just didn't get anything like what I expected.

7/10 - Worth watching, but it's been done before, and more stylishly in other films, one of which I mentioned below. Not a bad film, but ultimately I found it disappointing.

----------------------------------
SOME MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

The trailer tries to suggest that there is a profound paranormal and mystical property to the number 23. This is what I was hoping for.

In the end it didn't deliver what was expected. It didn't follow the juicy paranormal path the trailer had enticed me with.

There is a twist near the very end, which, though not expected, wasn't explained in the hard hitting and shocking way it could have been. A good example of the perfect twist is in the film Unbreakable. This just didn't have the same 'umph', and left me feeling disappointed.

Then for some reason the film gets all righteous and even soppy at the very end.

Not a bad film, and worthy of watching if you've some time to kill. Carrey is excellent IMO, but the film just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. A paranormal conspiracy film, or a simple thriller/mystery with a twist.

My advice to you is to go and watch the Machinist, where a similar story was told in a darker but ultimately much more satisfying way. Also the twist was many times more hard hitting and enjoyable.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 25/02/07 at 17:55
Regular
Well went to see this on friday, expecting great things, came away feeling a bit short changed to be honest. The trailer suggested that Carreys character discovered an enigma in the number 23. The number 23 crops up in all sorts of places in life - major disasters occured on the 23rd of a month, or on the third of february (2/3) and many other paranoid variations on this. Murderers names had 23 letters or the number 23 could be derived by adding/multiplying the numbers of letters etc.

So naturally I attended the cinema expecting to get my teeth into a great paranormal horrorfest, but I just didn't get anything like what I expected.

7/10 - Worth watching, but it's been done before, and more stylishly in other films, one of which I mentioned below. Not a bad film, but ultimately I found it disappointing.

SOME MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

The trailer tries to suggest that there is a profound paranormal and mystical property to the number 23. This is what I was hoping for.

In the end it didn't deliver what was expected. It didn't follow the juicy paranormal path the trailer had enticed me with.

There is a twist near the very end, which, though not expected, wasn't explained in the hard hitting and shocking way it could have been. A good example of the perfect twist is in the film Unbreakable. This just didn't have the same 'umph', and left me feeling disappointed.

Then for some reason the film gets all righteous and even soppy at the very end.

Not a bad film, and worthy of watching if you've some time to kill. Carrey is excellent IMO, but the film just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. A paranormal conspiracy film, or a simple thriller/mystery with a twist.

My advice to you is to go and watch the Machinist, where a similar story was told in a darker but ultimately much more satisfying way. Also the twist was many times more hard hitting and enjoyable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.