GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube production restarted..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/11/03 at 17:14
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Taken from IGN.com

November 05, 2003 - Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper reports that Nintendo has, as of October, restarted production on the GameCube hardware. According to the paper, the stock of four million systems held over from the previous financial term have all been sold, prompting the renewal of production.

Nintendo, back in January, revealed that it would be temporarily stopping production of the GameCube due to excess stock.

Some people may have been aware of this news but to others who may have thought the Qube was dying... think again :p
Sun 09/11/03 at 13:33
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Strafex wrote:
> and the best of it is that they play it risk free.

Aside from the huge risks involved in investing millions to develop, publish and release a title that sees hundreds of developers make huge losses and/or go under every year.
Sat 08/11/03 at 15:48
Regular
N64 4 EVA wrote:
> Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Latest UK sales show Xbox outselling the Cube 2 to 1, and that's
> after the dramatic price drops and heavy advertising.
>
> You can hardly call it 'heavy advertising'! I've seen one ad on the
> TV since the price drop and thats about all!

Near enough every newspaper had a few pages in it advertising the price cut from various stores such as woolworths the weekend the price was cut.
Sat 08/11/03 at 15:03
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Aswell as in most cases whenever possible EA tend to design the game for 1 format (IE PS2) and optomize it for that console then just port it out onto other consoles with as few alterations as possible... this inturn also saves them alot of money.

I used to dislike EA but in the last 2 years they have helped the GC alot with some very good releases... i must have around 10 EA games on the GC... im happy with all of them, life without EA supporting all the consoles wouldnt be that good for us... some of us would miss out on many great games... i dont mind playing a PS2 port if the only other options were to either have to go out and buy a PS2 specifically or not play the game at all.
Sat 08/11/03 at 00:53
Regular
and the best of it is that they play it risk free.

So long as atleast ONE of the consoles is successful, so's EA.
What's more, devellopment costs will be low as more often than not, the new game is merely a touched up version of the old one. :-)
Fri 07/11/03 at 22:40
Regular
Because I don't save every article I read over the years, no I don't.

However, when you consider that Electronic Arts actually publish their own games - make their own packaging, and sell games for all consoles - sucessfully, and are the owners of a huge amount of development teams, churn out the majority of each year's games, and so on, surely it doesn't sound too suprising?
Fri 07/11/03 at 21:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Edgy wrote:

> Electronic Arts make more than Sony and Microsoft do when it comes to
> games.
>

Do you have proof of that? Just I find it odd due to the fact that a percentage of every game goes to the company of the console that the game is used on.
Fri 07/11/03 at 21:37
Regular
Dr Gonzo wrote:
To be honest,
> the only reason the thing is still for sale at all is that the
> sucessor isn't ready yet - damage limitation here on in.

You work for Nintendo? That's why you can honestly say that? Or is it an opinion.

Hmmm...Lets take a look at the facts - for many years now, Nintendo have been the most profitable games company in the world.

Electronic Arts make more than Sony and Microsoft do when it comes to games.

You could give me that 'only because the sucessor isn't ready yet' argument about Sony resorting to a price drop AND a new colour console. You could give me the same spiel because the Xbox has another 2 game pack for Christmas. Reality is, in this situation, Nintendo have re-continued production due to demand.
Fri 07/11/03 at 21:34
Regular
Why is everyone going on about the number of sales per system - Nintendo over produced, they stopped, when all was sold out, they re-continued production.

In the shop I work at, I sold atleast 10 GameCubes yesterday.

If every shop in the UK sold that many per day, GameCube's sales would be very high!
Thu 06/11/03 at 22:17
Regular
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> rabid wrote:
> Some people may have been aware of this news but to others who may
> have thought the Qube was dying... think again :p
>
> http://tinyurl.com/txl2
>
> Latest UK sales show Xbox outselling the Cube 2 to 1, and that's
> after the dramatic price drops and heavy advertising. To be honest,
> the only reason the thing is still for sale at all is that the
> sucessor isn't ready yet - damage limitation here on in.

A: May have something to do with the MASSIVE X-box bundle promotions going round nearly every store? Oh wait it is.

B: WAit till Nintendo's bundle arrives.

c: In september it was 3 to 1

D: There are no offical statistics for hardware sales in the Uk.
Thu 06/11/03 at 21:44
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
rabid wrote:
> Hmm different stats from different sites....
>
> Ive seen stats of the GC outselling the PS2 2-1 and the X-box 4-1.
>
> I guess its just a case of who you wanna believe and where/when the
> stats were taken from.

Obviously. Read some dodgy, finger in the air stats based on shipments to one retailer and you'll get the kind of results your seeing. Use the propper means taken on actual sales from a wide spectrun of stores and you'll see the Gamecube struggling.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.