GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wipeout Fusion"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/01 at 15:13
Regular
Just read this on www.bloc****ter.co.uk !

"Wipeout Fusion should have been a first generation PlayStation 2 game and was initially planned for launch. All this time later and the game still looks like it's in a very basic form. It was being co-developed between Psygnosis Leeds and Psygnosis Liverpool. Sony recently closed Psygnosis Leeds.Rumour has it that WipeOut Fusion, in its present incarnation will be canned, the development shifted to another studio or developer. Sony would not comment on this, as you might imagine.Whatever happens, we will keep you updated. "

Worrying eh!
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:13
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Just read this on www.bloc****ter.co.uk !

"Wipeout Fusion should have been a first generation PlayStation 2 game and was initially planned for launch. All this time later and the game still looks like it's in a very basic form. It was being co-developed between Psygnosis Leeds and Psygnosis Liverpool. Sony recently closed Psygnosis Leeds.Rumour has it that WipeOut Fusion, in its present incarnation will be canned, the development shifted to another studio or developer. Sony would not comment on this, as you might imagine.Whatever happens, we will keep you updated. "

Worrying eh!
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:15
"High polygon count"
What date is on that report?

Wipeout Fusion looks far from basic.

And also, it shows what they know - Psygnosis as a company hasn't existed for over a year - they are now Sony Studio Liverpool!

I'd pay it little attention if I were you.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:43
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I wanted to ignore it, but the piece was written this week, have a look at blockbuster.co.uk and follow the link.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:45
"High polygon count"
Can't read it at the moment, because every time I go there it crashes my browser!
Thu 06/09/01 at 16:06
"High polygon count"
Okay, managed to get there now. My viewpoint:

>The first thing we noticed was the lack of detail and low
>polygon count. Apart from the higher resolution afforded
>by the PlayStation 2, the game looked to have little or no
>graphical improvements over its predecessors.

To this, I say: check the available screenshots and (if you buy PSM2 and/or PSW) the video. I think you'll agree that this is clearly not the case.

>When the game was in play, the draw distance was not good

Again, check the videos.

> and many of the polygons were untextured.

And again... the video - and pictures.

>The next thing to raise eyebrows was the slowdown. When
>any complex track design was encountered, the frame-rate
>and game speed dropped massively.

Difficult to judge without a playable demo of our own.

As for the rest of it, can you really see Sony displaying such a substandard pile of poo at their own show?

Has anyone seen similar reports elsewhere? Anywhere else mentioned the 'rumour' of it being canned?

>It turns out that, for some reason, Psygnosis has chosen
>to render the two-player game in a strange way. The left-
>hand screen is a full screen, but centred to the left.
>This is then covered up on the right hand side of the
>screen by a half screen render for player two.

Does any of this make sense? What company would place 'player 2' at such a disadvantage?

>It should have been a first generation PlayStation 2 game
>and was initially planned for launch.

As far as I know, Wipeout Fusion was never to be a launch title. I remember when I bought my PS2, I thought "I *hope* they do a Wipeout for this" - as one hadn't been announced at the time.

> It was being co-developed between Psygnosis Leeds and
> Psygnosis Liverpool.

As I said before, the company hasn't been called Psygnosis for quite some time.

On the whole, the article sounds like a complete crock. If you want to compare, try these - screenshots and all:

http://ps2.ign.com/news/34763.html
http://www.sonyweb.com/previews/ps2/wipeoutfusion.html
Thu 06/09/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I too has seen the movies, looks very good.
I didn't fully believe the story, but you never know !

On playing Extreme G3, the slow down is evident if you get four bikes on screen with some missiles/bullets etc.
Thu 06/09/01 at 18:36
Regular
"Back For Good"
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i refuse to believe it because i saw it running on cybernet and it looked stunning, they said it was 70& complete so i doubt they'll scrap it.
Thu 06/09/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Touched!"
i agree sony will NOT cease production, its basically pointless scrapping the game at this point, it looks stunning even now , that blockbuster site talks a load of crap, most places like that do though lol, also imagine how many disappointed ps2/wipeout fans there would be, it would not make sense to scrap the game

spike
Fri 07/09/01 at 10:31
I'd thought it highly unlikely. It's too far down the road, and would be a definite money spinner for Sony.

News just in. Sony to stop manufacturing PS2.
Fri 07/09/01 at 10:40
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I think I'd trust the BB site for game news, about as much as I'd trust the dixons site. =)
BTW just a reminder, don't buy anything from dixons that's game related. There have been hundreds of posts here (including my fiasco when buying a launch PS2).
Hang on.... It's been a year since launch, but the stats say I have only been here 292 days?? What's up there? I've not changed e-mail, but have changed nicknames a couple of times (Was Baz or Bazza originally).
anyway, don't get nowt gamewise from dixons!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.