GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"True Crime - A Mini Review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/11/03 at 15:13
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
This is my review of the game, based on my rental of it.

Firstly it suffers from being multiformat, and on the Xbox the graphics are sub PS2 level. The only highlight are the vehicles taking weapons damage though this novelty wears off.

The game is frequently interupted by autosaves, though the graphic draw distance is good - undoubtedly related to the crap graphics though.

Controls are appaling beyond belief. Shooting systek likewise - infinite bullets mean you just spray targets until they die with your default weapon.

Good cop/bad cop system is pointless, from what I can see you have a chance to replay failed missions anyway at the autosave point.

Enemy AI rubbish, criminals generally either run away, or stand and fire, or hijack a passing vehicle. Should they hijack a car you always have time to shoot the car to bits anyway.

Driving whilst shooting is rubbish, to aim precisely the car slows right down, and the controls mean you have to wait for the precise aiming reticule to disappear before you speed up. When you close on a target it is all auto aim, so just squeeze and spray.

The random crime events are okay, until you realise there is a limited number of them just recycled.

Arresting people seems next to impossible.

Plot is cliched and the main character as dull as a door. Think of the worst 80's police film you have ever seen, and you have the plot really.

Music is the expected rap/gangst music which is okay for a while, but repeats, and a lot of it is referring to the game (one song even mentions the main character) which completely wrecks the mood of the game should you have even got into it. Also prolific billboards advertising the game, the CD, and one mission even involves stolen Activision games (!).

And.....CRASHES AND GLITCHES. Enemies die and fall through walls, sections of building and road disappear or turn strange colours, the game has frozen on me 3 times now in less than an hour, each time necessitating a restart of the console and a replay of the section. And I have the Phillips drive which is supposedly problem free... every other game I have is okay and I have never had any problem, I can only assume the fault lies with the game.

All in all do not buy this game, if you even consider it then rent it and you soon will not want it. Don't be taken in by the advertising, or be expecting something along the lines of The Shield meets GTA, because that disrespects both licences.

Crap crap crap crap crap.

Now to return to Rainbow Six.
Fri 14/11/03 at 20:36
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I really am enjoying True Crime a lot more now. I've unlocked the '03 Roadster and gained more moves for hand-to-hand conbat, and the story is getting quite interesting now. I think Truie Crime does get better the more you play it and once you have good weapons/cars, everything picks up pace and is much more fun.
Wed 12/11/03 at 08:34
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Yeah, it isn't too bad. I just don't have any desire to play it. Every element of the gameplay is just "okay". Personally I've reached the point were okay = a waste of time.
Tue 11/11/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I recieved my copy from SR yesterday and I have to say I actually quite like True Crime. It's no-where near as good as GTA, and I never expected it would be. Controls were dodgy at first, but I just customised them to suit me, music is good and it's just basically good for a bit of mad fun. If you don't take it so seriously, and just don't compare it to GTA, then it really isn't too bad.
Mon 10/11/03 at 07:56
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Yeah, having played it some more, I've reverted to my initial opinion: it's got the charisma of a popped balloon. Below average and fragmented rubbish.
Sun 09/11/03 at 22:16
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I am happy to announce that, after just 5.5 hours play, I've finished bad cop mode and have no desire at all to play it again, ever. So 3.75 has allowed me to finish it, and biatch about it from a postion of having played it. It could have been good. It isn't.
Sun 09/11/03 at 17:14
Regular
"Laughingstock"
This game has grown on me.
Once I stopped comparing it to GTA3, accepted that the controls are a bit iffy and just got on with playing the Story Mode - it's quite fun.
It's like a mutant hybrid of GTA3, Max Payne and Shenmue.

Not as bad as I first thought. A "decent" alternative to GTA3/Vice City.
Sun 09/11/03 at 12:50
Regular
"Oops..."
Well then maybe it's a good thing that I haven't recieved my copy yet from SR...
Sun 09/11/03 at 04:13
Regular
"Remember me?"
And HE doesn't love it, I certainly do.
Sun 09/11/03 at 00:36
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
You love it...
Sun 09/11/03 at 00:34
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Help! Police harassment!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.