GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why all this re-branding? ?gnidnarb-er siht lla yhW"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/01 at 00:08
Regular
This is something that is really beginning to annoy me. It is a disease spreading through society. And it is called re-branding.

I am sick of it. Why did Opal Fruits have to become Starburst? Just for the Americans. Why is BT Cellnet going to become o2? I so not really care but I do not like it. Why did Jif have to become Cif?

It annoys me that we here in Britain have to give in and fit in with the rest of the world. It is not fair, Britain is a seperate country that deserves to be different. And the labels for things well they have to be printed certain ways to show things like nutritional information. So why can we not keep our names?

Am I the only person that is annoyed by this? What do you think?
Thu 06/09/01 at 14:02
Are you forgetting the first major casualty of globalized product branding? I am talking about Maraton of cause renamed to Snickers.

Two things that were neveer remaned in the UK were the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the USA) Or the Super Nintedo/Snes (Super Famicom in Japan).
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:58
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> I'm saying nothing...

Makes a change....
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:36
"High polygon count"
I'm saying nothing...
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:32
Yes. I know ;-).
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:31
"High polygon count"
That's 'Merchant banking' or 'Merchant banker'...
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:28
I thought Shanghai Banking was cockernee rhyming slang.
Thu 06/09/01 at 10:09
"High polygon count"
Shirley it should be HKSBC then?
Thu 06/09/01 at 10:08
Regular
Dan2K1 wrote:

HSBC -
> from Midland bank to funny Japanese.

Thats because HSBC stands for Hong-kong Shanghai Banking Corporation, who bought Midland bank.
Thu 06/09/01 at 09:58
"High polygon count"
misterhappy wrote:
> That is up there with X-wings as one of the all time great
> puns.
>
> my ribs are aching.

Thank you... at lest someone appreciated it! :-)
Thu 06/09/01 at 01:43
Erm, Gameboy Color anyone?

Britain is fussy, there is a very good point in re-branding products, and it's called getting the market re-interested in something that hasn't sold as well as hoped. Take Tic-Tacs for example. Used to be 2 hours of freshness in just two calories, advertised by some snotty German woman, now it's a quality cinematic production with a tiny black geezer who has a rare ability of flicking tic-tacs into his mouth. Quality.

Steps: rebranded Abba/Beegees. It'd be an insult to the talented orignal artists to even think about comparing Steps' version to theirs tho'.

Laziness.

Let's take another example - Rover.

Rover somehow manage to get themselves out of trouble, rebranding the 400 and 200 as the 25 and 45, introduce the fantastic 75, become hanging on a thread by BMW, but then decide to rebrand themselves as MG, now we have the stunning new 'high caffeine' etc... ZR, ZT or whatever - the same cars, just tarted up so they clear enough stock, to make enough money to pay for some decent designs.

EA Sports, one of the best at rebranding - here's the formula: 1 official football game with licences, start with 1996, every 12 months, add a 1 to the number, rebrand, get money...

Anyway, Starburst...eww.

HSBC - from Midland bank to funny Japanese.

I'm sleepy.

Rare submission from me, be nice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.