GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sequels"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/09/01 at 19:38
Regular
Ok I’ll be precise and to the point. I’m not a sequels fan. In fact I pretty much hate them. I don’t mind some of them. Terminator 2 was good and the sequels to Star Wars were good. However, none of the sequels that have been made in the last 5 years do I rate as being as good as the original.

Let me take the scream trilogy for example. The first received great reviews and was being hailed as the start of a new genre. The film was amazingly good. Then came the sequels. I got a sense of déjà vu in almost every scene… it was eventually over and although entertaining just didn’t match the quality of the original. The original had well… been original and this clearly wasn’t. The reviewers picked up on this but it was still a great hit with the people that watched it…. So out came another one… again still entertaining but again still unoriginal. The only differences in these sequels were in each one of the films you didn’t know whom the killer was and were excited to find out who.

It seems that we have come to a time where sequels just aren’t at good. Rate films where the sequels have been better than the original please in this post… Terminator, Godfather and endless more will no doubt pop up or ones I disagree with. Well what do we notice about these films?

We can notice they are what seems made 10ish years ago. I’m only guessing here but I think filmmakers can’t make improvements on the original as they:
a) have to keep lightly to the story of the first (or it won’t be a sequel)
BUT
b) the big problem is they can’t make it look better… Terminators special effects were pretty poor. However, the second films were amazing. The liquid metal man made the film! Without the Liquid Metal Man that film would no way have been better than number 1.

I have recently been horrified to see that a Final Destination 2 is in the making. Final Destination was an amazing film that stunned reviewers and did well at the box office. So to cash in on that films success they are going to make another one. However lets look at this logically. To make Final Destination 2 a sequel they will have to either:
a) Use the same characters with the continuous fight against death. (Basically the same story but continuing on from where the last left off)
OR
b) Take a new set of characters and admit them to a similar scenario
I personally can’t think of any other ways they could do a sequel… so sigh this sequel is destined to be unoriginal and yet another rubbish sequel. I may be proved wrong but I highly doubt it.

Games on the other hand their sequels can get better quite easily – just take the original game and add lots of more features. The thing with films is at the moment the film industry is at a dead end – it can’t enhance it’s special effects and sets as they have the best already.

So stick to one film series I say, forget about sequels just give us a similar formula with different characters.
Sun 07/10/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Sequels are never usually as good as first instalments of movies. However, Terminator 2 ëJudgement Dayí really does speak for itself as a sequel, by using incredible special effects with todayís technology.

Terminator 2 throws in superb action and dazzling visual effects. When it hit the charts, it was known as the best movie of the year. It was proven that T2 had the best graphics ever to be witnessed in a film at its time. Now of course, many directors are implementing similar thoughts to make their movies a great success as well. Take Star Wars for instance. Look what George Lucas did with the first three episodes. He took the originals and used todayís technology to clean the film, and add new scenes and special effects. Then he made a brand new episode to add to the series. Episode One The Phantom Menace. This film took visual effects to another level. Cities come alive with the aid of computer technology. This is what sells a film nowadays. The storyline too, was well thought out. The amazing thing about ìThe Phantom Menaceî is that itís not a sequel at all. It takes place 32 years before Star Wars ìA New Hopeî, the first instalment of the series.

As sequels goÖthe Star Wars series has to be the only one that stands out from all the rest. With an immense storyline, accompanied with a superb soundtrackÖitís no wonder why sequels to the Star Wars films ends up top of the charts.

I would say in my own opinion that ìStar Warsî and ìThe Terminatorî are the only two films to make it as sequels.
Tue 11/09/01 at 23:13
Regular
Rush Hour 2 was as good as the mediocre original film
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Rakuga wrote:
> However, none of the
> sequels that have been made in the last 5 years do I rate as being
> as good as the original.

Toy Story 2, no argument about it. Quality original followed by a classic that almost fell into straight to video hell.

I'd take the same stance as I do with video games - so basically, there is nothing wrong with sequels by default. Sometimes they're good, other times they're rubbish, a bit like any film.
Mon 10/09/01 at 11:16
OK, sequal that people should never attempt to make:

-Elephant man 2. The man beastv retrurns oto repay his vendetta to bytes. Pouring concentrated acid across his face and touring Europe with him as the Hippo Man.

-Shawshank Redemption 2-Return to Shawshank. Red and Andy return to Shawshank prison after making millions in their Cruiseship enterprise. They buy out the prison and turn it into a playboy mansion type place for honeys with butch men dressed as hares available to play poker with.

-Tomb Raider 2. LAra Croft seeks the producers and writers of Tomb Raider. She then paints the silver screen with their brains.

-Spice World 2. Return of the Ginger one. Geri reutrns for a 2 hour cat fight with Posh. Movie magic!

- 2010. Why? Why ruin a classic?

Anymore?
Mon 10/09/01 at 10:11
Thanks for pointing that out Rakuga (and for the original topic), and cheers SR!

By the way, it won't be worth starting up a new sequels thread. It will probably rehash the existing posts in a slightly different order, and maybe contain more humour to try and cover this up ;-).
Mon 10/09/01 at 00:43
Regular
only the late 70s 80s and early 90s have been able to reproduce good sequals..

and the best of the lot is the indiana jones trilogy
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Devo I think you need weapons and lots of them. Storm the Special Reserve lobby and get your deserve highlighted yellow text!
Thu 06/09/01 at 23:37
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Rakuga I have an elementary knowledge of the Matrix but here's the way I see it...

Neo is now the master of the Matrix itself but he can do sod all outside it. The next film or the one after will probably involve some joining of the two worlds. I mean that in the sense that Neo will leave the Matrix with his super natural abilities... or we will discover that the real world is in fact another computer generated world. So the Matrix is a world within a world. Once Neo realises this he will be able to use his skills in the real world.

You're right about agents and things like that though. To make it interesting, if they keep it set in the Matrix, they will have to have a new type of agent who is more powerful than Neo, either that or the 'head computer' itself downloads into the Matrix, as the mother of all agents. That could be interesting. I would give the story writers far more credit. They will come up with a spectacular plot for the film.

Personally I thought the Matrix was a good film, but not outstanding. Partially due to the emphasis on action rather than substance. The thirteeneth floor, a sci0fi film released about 2 years ago, is the thinking man's Matrix, and that's probably where the storyline will go. I hope they get some new camera tricks in though. bullet time was incredible.
Thu 06/09/01 at 18:04
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> Surely Austin Powers 2 was real good!?!

It was okay but I felt the original was much better. I know people who like the 2nd more but I disagree. Yes it was funny but it left that sexual related humour and went to toilet humour ('ive got a turtle head poking out').

To me I felt it had done an "Ace Ventura" and tried to sell money to the child audience which were also interested in the original film... again to make more money *sigh*. Personally I felt it was a bit childish at times however alot of it was hilariously funny.

Devo wrote:
> Though there is hope. The new Matrix films should be superb.

Let me first go to say I will be watching the Matrix 2 as soon as it comes out. I won't care about reviews. The makers know that people who loved the first will watch it no matter what. However I must say, I already have low expectations. Where do we go from the first film? I believe the options of the storywriters are to either:

1) create new agents which cannot have their bodies invaded by agents (And then some good storyline) but it will basically be the same as first - lots of shooting, amazing special effects but nothing really new about it.

2) Show Neo jumping into lots of agents and blowing them up or hunting them down.. *yawn*.

The guy can stop bullets now for goodness sake! Where's the challenge going to be? He'll be redoing a lobby type scene stopping all the bullets and then beating everyone up with ease.. yawning. He won't even need to run up walls or evade bullets.

Personally if I was making the Matrix I would have left the bit at the end of Matrix 1 where Neo sees all the code and destroys an agent till the Matrix 3 and then end up saving the world with the skill. As far as I see it the storywriters have dug themselves into a deep hole. However anythings possible, I'm sure they can make some at least valid storyline. And I will watch it and I will love it for it's action scenes.

MY expectations are low. If the sequels rubbish it doesn't matter because I expected it to be. If it's not I will enjoy it even more. For goodness sake I never wanted to see the Matrix - I didn't fancy it and because of this when I did see the film it was one of the best films I had ever watched and I enjoyed it all the more.
Thu 06/09/01 at 12:09
Regular
"not dead"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Meka_Dragon wrote:

I can't
> wait for Friday the 13th
> X.

Do you know if Jason Vs Freddy is getting a release.

They keep saying that it's going to be made, and they have a script, but they haven't got around to filming it yet!

And The Carpenter 2 would rule.

Hauser could return in the modern day, using morern messy power tools.

One scene would involve him sanding off the nose of some guy that didn't respect his woman, and cursed in the woods, qwith a cordless Dremel drill, using the sander attachment.

That would be the best horror movie ever.

Especially if they remade the scene from the first in which Hauser unzips his flies to the sound of a power-drill. Excellent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.