GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS3 Anyone?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/03/10 at 12:51
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Not sure if any of you folks enter the realm of CSS much but I sure would like some CSS3 for IE! Well it's coming with IE9, and soon with the funeral of IE6 the day of future web development gets ever closer.

At least someone agrees with my sentiments (includes some references for getting CSS3 to work in IE):
http://css3please.com/
Thu 18/03/10 at 17:25
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
You're just re-enforcing my point really. Everybody has legacy issues and still they progress much faster. And I wouldnt even say its Microsoft's fault.
Thu 18/03/10 at 17:01
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Garin wrote:
> LukeM wrote:
> I would say we will be in a better place by 2015, that's not too
> far away in my eyes. Until then,
> progressive
> enhancement
>
> And thats the scary part, we've got people thinking 5 years is an
> acceptable time to wait for progress while every other area of
> computing will have gone through several iterations by then.

I think you will find legacy issues encompass the whole of computing and life generally. I don't think it is acceptable, simply it is the way it is.

You could always get yourself a bunch of Microsoft shares Garin, then you might have some influence over the situation :D
Thu 18/03/10 at 16:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
LukeM wrote:
> I would say we will be in a better place by 2015, that's not too
> far away in my eyes. Until then,
> progressive
> enhancement

And thats the scary part, we've got people thinking 5 years is an acceptable time to wait for progress while every other area of computing will have gone through several iterations by then.
Thu 18/03/10 at 11:00
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I think awareness of technologies, and choice of technology, in this case browser software will increase over the next few years, as it has over the last decade or so to the point where most users will make a concious decision on what they use to access the web.

Awareness of Twitter is commonplace now, debates on browsers are even coming into the news, it won't be long before my granddad is telling me why I should be using Chrome.
Thu 18/03/10 at 10:42
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It's a shame IE 9 won't be available for XP, though I can't say I'm surprised, with Vista and 7 now being out, and possibly Windows 8 being right around the corner when IE 9 is finally available.

Perhaps it won't be so bad, and XP won't have such a large market share in a couple of years, but I can see IE 8 being the new IE 6 for a long while if it's the latest version XP users can obtain, and having IE 9 on XP would (I think) have ensured a large user base of powerful web browsers.

Either that, or Chrome, Firefox, etc will see their market share go up quite a bit.
Thu 18/03/10 at 10:07
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I would say we will be in a better place by 2015, that's not too far away in my eyes. Until then, progressive enhancement.
Thu 18/03/10 at 04:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I see that IE9 isnt going to be available on XP. I wonder how much impact that'll have. Maybe mainstream CSS3 usage isnt so close after all. :)
Sat 13/03/10 at 17:39
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
> You're still using tables? Blimey. Garin made me stop using them
> 5 years ago.

I know I'll have to move away from them one day - but they just work! That's why I was interested in Freeola's 'Table exit plan' as they're slightly bigger than me ;¬)

How's your 'learn the language' site going these days? - I remember the posts between you and Garin well. You made the right decision not using Tables as I remember you were going to have 200/300 sub domains - that would have been a lot of work to convert to CSS!

I've read in GC that you've now also got a 'web comic' site these days - hope that's working well for you.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 13/03/10 at 17:03
Regular
You're still using tables? Blimey. Garin made me stop using them 5 years ago.

I need to learn more about HTML5 and CSS3.
Fri 12/03/10 at 17:31
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that :¬)

LukeM wrote:
> I would choose HTML and CSS layouts over tables any day, but
> since the majority of Freeola is in tables it would take more
> time than it's worth to convert everything over.

??? Bit confused by that though. Hopefully Freeola.com is here to stay so at some point you'll also have to consider making the move!?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.