GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Tribute To Mario - NO MISTAKES!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 20:37
Regular
I posted this eariler but it had a big mistake, now I happily announce that this one SHOULD be the proper one! :D Now it's not as long, but at least it doesn't repeat itself! :D

Mario, in my view, is the most influential games’ mascot in the world. He started off the whole plat-forming sensation in his game debut: Super Mario Land, created by non-other than Shigeru Myamoto himself. Other games’ developers instantly followed his footsteps with games like Sonic, from Nintendo rivals: Sega. So many games were created after Mario’s debut that it is impossible to know how many there actually were.

Mario, Nintendo’s world-popular plumber in those red dungarees - was an instant celebrity in the young gaming industry. He started his life under the immensely talented watch of Shigeru Myamoto, who was also soon to become famous for other now famous and classic titles (i.e Zelda). He was heading for a very interesting and entertaining life; one that would see him in a whole hoard of fabulously inventive and original games that would take him further into depths of fame. I’ll try and inform you all of every single game he has starred in, if I miss some out, that would be where you lot come in and help me out.

Right, I’ll start off by looking back when the NES was the ‘in thing’ and when Mario begun his journey to becoming my favourite video game character of all time. And I’ll also give a rating out of 10, just to show you EXACTLY how good it was.

THE NES ERA!!

Super Mario Bros.

Ah yes, the old classic. Mario’s first ever game. The time when Mario was a simple 2-d, jumping-red Italian plumber with one objective on his mind: Rescue the Princess! In this old, classic, blocky plat-former, you see Mario jumping around side-scrolling levels filled with multiple enemies that only die if they are jumped on the head. You could increase your chances of completing the level by collecting mushrooms that had a special ability of making Mario bigger, and then giving you a seconded chance if you were to get hit by the enemy. When I was playing on my N64, I had a sudden craving to stop playing Super Mario 64 and go back to the good old days of Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Actually I still like it even now – where only your own skills can help you through to the end. It’s so easy to play and get into that it is still one of my favourite games! It just oozes playability.

This deserves an 7/10 – classic.

Super Mario Bros. 2.

This game is totally different from the first. Not only do you have the option to play as Mario, but Peach, Luigi and Toad as well! And it doesn’t just involve jumping around levels on top of enemies’ heads either...no, you can pick objects such as carrots, tiny parsnip-looking things, other fruit/vegetables and the odd deceiving shrub that turns out to be a bomb. It’s not as good as the first in my opinion, because the graphics looked slightly dodgy and the game play just didn’t seem as smooth and addictive. Also, unfortunately it became very boring after a while; it simply didn’t grab your attention as well as the original did. Not the best of Mario games for me!

This deserves something around the 5/10 mark, or even 4/10. Oops!

Super Mario Bros. 3.

To be honest with you, I don’t know much about this game. But what I do know is good. You’re just Mario again and you have yet again, the objective of rescuing the Princess. However, like it’s predecessors, Super Mario 3 has its new items and bonuses, stages and worlds. Instead of either jumping onto a flags-pole, or defeating a mini-boss as the end of a level, this one has you entering a black area with a fast rotating block in the middle of it. All you have to do is jump up and hit the rotating block to receive a random item and thus completing the stage. However, there are new, original items to discover. Some being the leaf – a special, rare item that turns you into a Racoon. But of course you get a new ability to go with it! This being one of the best items in the game, the new ability is satisfyingly good. You are able to hover all the while until you come in contact with the ground; but that’s still not it – if you utilise this item well, new areas can be discovered, better items can be obtained, and even secret levels are opened with this beauty at your hands. So now, previously out-of-reach areas are reachable!
There are also other items like this. The Hammer Bros. suit, turns you into a replica of a Hammer Bros. and you happily have the ability to throw those horrid little hammers that those irritating monkeys (Hammer Bros.) have. Along with these are other fabulous items for your enjoyment.

This deserves a high mark, higher than the original – 8/10. A brilliant 2D plat-former with a host of new features that gave SNES Mario-games an excellent kick-start.

Dr Mario.

I know little of this puzzler, but all I know from a dear friend is that it has to be one of the worst games Mario has ever starred in. All I know is that it’s a lot like Tetris...is that right? However, Mario is the little bloke on the side of the screen that is supposedly controlling the direction and rotations of the blocks; but we all know how REALLY controls the blocks...:D As I don’t like Tetris and this version is seemingly the same apart from a few extras, it wouldn’t be a favourite of mine. Well, not EVERY video game character is perfect, eh? :-)

Hmm, this will have to be awarded 3/10 for being boring and unimaginative.

Mario also featured in a few other NES games you know. He was the referee in Super Punch out and the umpire in the Tennis game. Good old Mario – pops up everywhere, doesn’t he?

GAMEBOY ERA!

Super Mario Land.

Mario inevitably was the launch game for this record-breaking hand-held system and it was also a surprisingly good launch game at that. Similar to the first Mario game on the NES, you controlled a simple jumping, blocky Mario who virtually had the same idea on his mind: to rescue the Princess. Much like the first Mario, it oozed playability and was extremely addictive. But being on the Gameboy and all, the graphics were poor and you had to sit in the right position to catch light – meaning you couldn’t enjoy the game as much as you could if you were playing it with a Television.

This smart game deserves 6.5/10 ;-)

He also starred in Super Mario Land 2 – 6 golden coins. But I’ve never played it so I can’t tell you what it was like!

THE SNES ERA!

Super Mario World.

Kick-started by Mario 3 on the NES, Super Mario World involves advancing from between worlds on a birds-eye view of a very big map. This game actually consists of a total of 96 levels! To completely complete this mammoth of a game would be quite an achievement. I think, I’m not sure, but you have the option to be Mario, Toad, Peach and Luigi again, like in the Super Mario 2 on the NES. However, this one is greatly improved, but not all of the aspects are covered. It’s smoother, prettier and has a lot more detail than the past Mario games, But that’s because it’s on the SNES. The game does have flaws, as every game does unfortunately. It is slightly too sensitive to the touch and also a bit too fast for my liking. Fortunately this one is more enjoyable than any other and gains marks.

I award it a good, all-round 8/10.

Yet another game that I have little knowledge of is Super Mario World 2 – Yoshi’s Story. I know that you play as Mario’s new baby son: Baby Mario who rides on Yoshi’s bak throughout the game. Anyone played it?

Super Mario Kart.

Well, where can I start, eh? Generally viewed as a novelty item because it has the reputation of being the best racing game ever – but do you agree? I do. It is unbeatable. It is that little bit better than the N64 version purely because of its revolutionary game play. It might not have the graphics but has the ability to grip and entertain ANYONE who picks up the control pad – it’s that good! Super Mario Kart is a must have for any true gamer – even if you’re not a fan of racing games.

Virtually the perfect racing game, but not quite, nothing is perfect. It deserves 9.5/10.

N64 ERA!

It’s pointless to review ALL of the N64 games that Mario starred in, but I’ll tell you of them. ALL of the following games are purely class and have that amazingly good feeling that only Mario games can bring.

Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario 64, Smash Bros., Mario Party 1, 2 and 3 and Paper Mario – all fantastic first class, must-buy games and have absolutely no serious falts whatsoever. I still play them now and I’m sure many other Nintendo fans do as well.

Well, because this was beginning to get too long for comfort, I thought I might end it here. I obviously admire Mario and his games – he is my favourite character of all time. He cheers me up because of his bright red colour, and his cheery, happy look.

Your views are wanted and will be respected! :D Who’s your favourite character? What is the best game he/she stars in?

Thanks for reading at least half of it! :D

Shocktrooper.
Sat 08/09/01 at 08:55
Regular
"DS..."
Whats the point?, Theyve won so just leave it at that.
slik ~_~
Fri 07/09/01 at 23:42
Regular
Logan wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Who cares Shock you won, thats all that
> matters

errrr.... you have missed the whole point of the site.

Oh i didn't mean it like that, ive only tryed to win once since ive been here. Just everyone recently seems to be criticising the posts of the people who win. That Dolphin Style geezer who won, people where starting topics saying that he shouldn't have won.
Fri 07/09/01 at 23:36
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Who cares Shock you won, thats all that matters

errrr.... you have missed the whole point of the site.
Fri 07/09/01 at 21:43
Well Done! I just can´t seem to win myself, though.
Fri 07/09/01 at 21:33
Regular
Who cares Shock you won, thats all that matters
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:41
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Sorry for the mistakes, lads.

As I did day, well I thought I did, was that I didn't know EVERY game that Mario starred in.

But thanks anyway :D
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:37
Regular
Why are you going to read him a story Slik?
Fri 07/09/01 at 19:57
Regular
"DS..."
i think its AZOWIPES bedtime...
slik ~_~
Fri 07/09/01 at 19:35
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Yawn
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Well done, Shocky.

but he made a huge mistake! Missing out the early mario games!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.