GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising in games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 17:19
Regular
Could games be used to sell products, or at least advertise them more? Ok you probably have no idea what I am on about so I will try to describe what I mean in more detail. The best way to sell anything these days is to advertise, it may be on TV, in newspapers, magazines, on the radio or on the Internet. But what about in games? I don't really think this has been done much before, maybe the odd coke machine here and there but not as much as you would expect.

Why should they do it then? Children will want something if they see it and it appeals to them, advertising aimed at kids is growing as companies realise that children will ask their parents to buy them something they want. Also adults will buy something that appeals to them, but if they don't know about it then they won't buy it.

So what are the benefits from it? Well companies could pay to have their product included in the game or an advertisement of some sort somewhere in the game, the extra money the developers make could be used to improve the game or used to make more games. There is a small problem in that if they do make extra money it may be kept and not used to improve games. They could have adverts at the end of the game or products being used by the main character. Some examples could be:
Football games could have adverts round the side of the pitch which rotate like the real-life ones (the only problem is people have to be able to read them and developers may focus more on the adverts than on the game itself)

Games like resident evil, tomb raider and many others could use different products throughout and call them by their name rather than the category they fall into, i.e. you could have certain food products that can be used to improve health.
This could make games feel more realistic (that's the way most games seem to be heading) as you can use products that you can see and buy in real life. Another good choice could be clothing, the clothes the character wear in the game could be available to buy in shops, i.e. Levis could allow their jeans and denim jackets to be used in the game as advertising. Or maybe other accessories like sunglasses, footwear, bags. There is a wide range of things that could be included. Graphics have improved a lot and its now a lot easier to show real life objects in games, also the amount of space available on disks could allow extras like these in the game without spoiling the graphics or the game-play.

I wouldn't mind an option on some of the DVD' s that show some of the up-coming games soon to be released from that developer or advertisements for peripherals for the console the game is used on.

But could there be a downside to adverts in games? Maybe that's why we don't see them being used already. As I mentioned before some developers may concentrate more on making adverts more visible that they don't focus enough on the game itself. Or they could use loads of adverts and that could spoil the game, I know that I don't like watching lots of adverts on TV and the ones that pop up on the internet annoy me a lot, I just close them down without reading them. So maybe the adverts could spoil the game. People could become annoyed with them which may cause them to get rid of the game and not buy future games from the developer.

It depends on how you look at it whether you think it could be a good idea or not. I think it would be good if the money the developers received went to improving the game and future games and not just kept as a profit. Also only if the adverts were used after you finish playing or dotted throughout the game (like an odd coke machine here or the name of a company on posters) but didn't interfere with the game. So what are your views, would you like to see adverts in games? Would it be a good idea to use them?
Wed 05/09/01 at 00:32
Regular
There is so much violence in many of today's games that the advertisers don't want their products to be associated with such goings on.
I am aware of quite a few games that do advertise products though: Snow Surfers on the DC advertises some winter sports clothing brand. And of course there is Crazy Taxi as mentioned before.
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:23
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Thats a really weird topic because a few months ago i sent a letter into official Playstation magazine saying that it would be amazing if software companies advertised their other titles in the game! and they replied saying: 'it sounds a great idea'. I dunno why they haev not put it into action! I mean yuo haev advertising at cinemas before movies, on tv beforea programme starts, in newspapers before you read you column! Why not in computer games befe you play! Good Post! I agree..
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:23
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Crazy Taxi was a rare example of a game with huge amounts of advertising. The KFC signs and Levi store were placed firmly in the game in full view. I have to say that it didn't tempt me to buy anything but it also didn't detract from the gaming experience.

Advertising would be fine in some games such as racing games but would be totally out of place in Silent Hill or Zelda.
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Could games be used to sell products, or at least advertise them more? Ok you probably have no idea what I am on about so I will try to describe what I mean in more detail. The best way to sell anything these days is to advertise, it may be on TV, in newspapers, magazines, on the radio or on the Internet. But what about in games? I don't really think this has been done much before, maybe the odd coke machine here and there but not as much as you would expect.

Why should they do it then? Children will want something if they see it and it appeals to them, advertising aimed at kids is growing as companies realise that children will ask their parents to buy them something they want. Also adults will buy something that appeals to them, but if they don't know about it then they won't buy it.

So what are the benefits from it? Well companies could pay to have their product included in the game or an advertisement of some sort somewhere in the game, the extra money the developers make could be used to improve the game or used to make more games. There is a small problem in that if they do make extra money it may be kept and not used to improve games. They could have adverts at the end of the game or products being used by the main character. Some examples could be:
Football games could have adverts round the side of the pitch which rotate like the real-life ones (the only problem is people have to be able to read them and developers may focus more on the adverts than on the game itself)

Games like resident evil, tomb raider and many others could use different products throughout and call them by their name rather than the category they fall into, i.e. you could have certain food products that can be used to improve health.
This could make games feel more realistic (that's the way most games seem to be heading) as you can use products that you can see and buy in real life. Another good choice could be clothing, the clothes the character wear in the game could be available to buy in shops, i.e. Levis could allow their jeans and denim jackets to be used in the game as advertising. Or maybe other accessories like sunglasses, footwear, bags. There is a wide range of things that could be included. Graphics have improved a lot and its now a lot easier to show real life objects in games, also the amount of space available on disks could allow extras like these in the game without spoiling the graphics or the game-play.

I wouldn't mind an option on some of the DVD' s that show some of the up-coming games soon to be released from that developer or advertisements for peripherals for the console the game is used on.

But could there be a downside to adverts in games? Maybe that's why we don't see them being used already. As I mentioned before some developers may concentrate more on making adverts more visible that they don't focus enough on the game itself. Or they could use loads of adverts and that could spoil the game, I know that I don't like watching lots of adverts on TV and the ones that pop up on the internet annoy me a lot, I just close them down without reading them. So maybe the adverts could spoil the game. People could become annoyed with them which may cause them to get rid of the game and not buy future games from the developer.

It depends on how you look at it whether you think it could be a good idea or not. I think it would be good if the money the developers received went to improving the game and future games and not just kept as a profit. Also only if the adverts were used after you finish playing or dotted throughout the game (like an odd coke machine here or the name of a company on posters) but didn't interfere with the game. So what are your views, would you like to see adverts in games? Would it be a good idea to use them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.