GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"School IT rooms will never be the same again..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 12:05
Regular
I've come across a program that is a dream come true (however it's real!). Just by setting it up to listen and connecting to the ip with the correct password from another machine with the program installed I can control my PC....

All it requires is that your PC and the PC you are trying to connect to it from are on the internet.

It's called WinVNC and I was testing it yesterday. I was letting my mate connect to my PC. The taskbar icon flashed indicated he had connected. I sat back... and my mouse moved. It moved to the start menu opened it up then slowly directed itself to "Paint" and opened it.

It selected the pen tool and started to write "Hello Neo". I felt like I was actually Neo at the beginning of the program! I tried to take control of the mouse pointer and the 'ghost' fought with me, the mouse pointer flying across the screen in random directions. Finally I gave up and it went to the text tool opened up a box and wrote "Don't touch anything! Let me use it!".

Now the possibilities with something like this! They filled my mind! First things first I put on an act ran up to my mum saying my computer was talking to me and took her into the room. She actually got very very spooked when the 'ghost' wrote in word "hello" one letter at a time. She had to leave the room in fright.. she even told me to turn the PC off! She was convinced it was a ghost so I had a good laugh there! But this was not the only possibility with this program! Firstly it was great fun I must say.. my mate nearly tried to shutdown my computer but I stopped him before he could hit it! He could do anything I could! However I could kill him off when he was taking things to far by simply selecting "kill" from the taskbar menu. I also thought as my topic shows.. I could take this into school. I could put it on the school computer and connect to my PC at home and I could check my email in my outlook express, upload my homework that I forgot to bring to school!

Although it's quite laggy if you are on a 56k modem, two ADSL/ISDN lines could connect to one another very well and very quick.. you could even have a game of lagless solitaire!

Here's to the future! It's one of the most amazing pieces of software I've ever come across! And it doesn't disturb your current destop.. it opens in a new pop up window!
If you fancy trying this for yourself check out the software -
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Simply amazing!
Sun 30/09/01 at 16:20
Mantis...

I have done what you have suggested many a time... using software remotely...

You can even play a CD from home, and listen to it from work!

However, this will not work with games that require a very, very fast internet connection to get any kindof quality.
Sun 30/09/01 at 13:48
Regular
"You've upset me"
dave622 wrote:
> Oh Rasta Billy Skank, will you ever shut up?

No.
Sun 30/09/01 at 13:13
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
There's a good idea.

I'll see if I can get my dad top take me to PC World sometime to get one!
Sun 30/09/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Get an optical mouse... lurvely...
Sun 30/09/01 at 12:28
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Gronti_v wrote:
> It's probably nothing then, it's either one that is advanced enough to get round
> your virus checker or more likely it's just that you keep knocking your mouse or
> the pointer moves as part of the way your computer loads up. I doubt it's worth
> worrying about if it doesn't have a negative effect. You could try getting a
> new mouse and seeing if that would help, occasionally mice have problems with
> sliding or sticking but usually only if they've been used for a very long time,
> especially if you don't clean them.

Thanks for the advice.

My mouse is brand new, but I won't bother worrying about it anymore.
Sun 30/09/01 at 10:30
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
You could but since there is so much detail in games it would go really slow or enough crash.

Solitaire plays fine.

But maybe in the future hey.
Sun 30/09/01 at 02:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It depends on the program. If it frequently access the hard drive while running, then it would probably be extremely slow. However, most programs don't, so in theory, yes.
Sat 29/09/01 at 23:58
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Sounds intersting but as someone said people will find a cunning way to use the program for the worst.

But I have a question

Do you think it is possible that if two PCs were linked you could run programs off one computer even though thay are stored on another? Let me explain...

You leave your home PC linked to the net and you go to school...

Using the school computers you use this program to link up with the Home PC.

From school you can run say Half Life on the Home PC but the game itself will be displayed on the PC in school.

If this was possible it would be fantastic, playing games that arn't on the hard drive of the PC you are using. If this was to happen High speed internet connections would be a must of course.

Am I dreaming unrealisticly? Or could this type of thing happen in the future?
Sat 29/09/01 at 22:52
Rakuga wrote:
> But Logan you could open cd drives on this by going in my computer :)

Well, with the trojan I "know" of, you can do the following:

Swap keys on the keyboard
Open and close the CD drive
Pop up any error message I want... I might try "Hello Neo" on one of my friends on day!
Take a screen shot of their screen
Open ANY program

As well as the standard copy, delete, create files.
Sat 29/09/01 at 15:25
It's probably nothing then, it's either one that is advanced enough to get round your virus checker or more likely it's just that you keep knocking your mouse or the pointer moves as part of the way your computer loads up. I doubt it's worth worrying about if it doesn't have a negative effect. You could try getting a new mouse and seeing if that would help, occasionally mice have problems with sliding or sticking but usually only if they've been used for a very long time, especially if you don't clean them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.