GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sound"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 11:41
Regular
In a film where would we be without music? Now this sounds a bit stupid, but a horror film would be worthless if it didn't have the right composer and the right feeling towards it. So how do you create the feeling? Your emotions have to be played with and make you feel something in the film you are watching.

Whether it be a tense moment in the film where the music starts up slowly building up followed by the suddenly BANG. A terrifying moment in the film which sends you startled. Or maybe it is the death of someone to feel their greif. No matter what it is, then no film could get the feeling towards it.

And games do the same, Tomb Raider for example, the music just suddenly explodes and goes all drastic on us. I think when I first got that game the music always affected me. When playing a boss on games the music will change to set the scene. All cleverly done and probally 90% of people won't even notice it, they'll know it's there but take no notice.

One of the best films I belive used the music the greatest was Schindlers List. The emotions of the war and at the end when he breaks down realising he could have done more. Armageddon did the same with the ending, and the key moments in the film which you could just feel it was you who was loosing your father.

I think Hans Zimmer is possibly the greatest film composer of my time. Gladiator, True Romance, The Rock, Armageddon,Pearl Harbor and the list can go on and on. Every single film he has taken part in adds the emotions to the film and the Pearl Harbor soundtrack is perfect, depressing, emotional and memorable.

Thanks for reading.
Tue 04/09/01 at 15:25
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I hated traffic read my review of it.
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:44
Regular
"I am your father"
misterhappy wrote:
> Danny Elfman is a damn good composer. He's done the music for all of
> Tim Burton's films. On the Edward Scissorhands DVD he does admit to
> having given up preparing anything from reading the script before he
> sees the film. Apparently he keeps having to scrap his ideas as soon
> as he sees Burton's interpretation of the script.

It's true about
> music adding to the film though, often you don't notice it but when
> a film has no music whatsoever it becomes starkly apparent.

Traffic did that. I don't understand why so many people liked it. It was a bore to me, and had no feeling about it. But then most FAD winners seem to order it so other people must disagree.
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:41
Regular
"I am your father"
Your Honour wrote:
> Did you only read the first sentence of my post or something?

DAMN someone's caught me out. I knew it, I knew it.

*runs off in a psychotic state*
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Danny Elfman is a damn good composer. He's done the music for all of Tim Burton's films. On the Edward Scissorhands DVD he does admit to having given up preparing anything from reading the script before he sees the film. Apparently he keeps having to scrap his ideas as soon as he sees Burton's interpretation of the script.

It's true about music adding to the film though, often you don't notice it but when a film has no music whatsoever it becomes starkly apparent.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:41
Regular
Did you only read the first sentence of my post or something?
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:37
Regular
"I am your father"
I disagree with that, the sound effects yes are a very important part in building up the tension and without them horror films would be a flop. But for a trully great film which makes the audience feel everything happening in the film, you need the music.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:26
Regular
I don't think that films just need good music, I think they need good sound effects generally.

It doesn't matter how good the acting is, or good the set is, if someone is walking through a haunted house, and there is no squeaky floor boards of no sound of the howling wind outside or whatever, it just won't be scary.

Good films get the emotion across using a number of different mediums. These are the ones I think are imprtant, but in no particualr order, as they are all important and the film would never be the same if one was missing:

Story. If a film is to be serious and believeable, the story needs to be there. Obviously, in less serious films and comedies etc, the story takes a bit of a back seat.

Script. Could be classed as the same as the story I suppose.

Acting. This has to be top notch. If we are to believe that the person is genuinely scared, they have to look scared, not stand their with a big grin on their face. Having done some acting myself, I know how difficult it is to get it just right.

Sounds. More important in films with an atmosphere. Horrors, and psychological thrillers etc. Completely helps to set the scene. This coupled with the actors can make or break a scary scene in a film.

Music. As has been already said. Music is very important in films. I don't mean the soundtracks with big name stars singing. I mean the actual music used in films. The background stuff that you may not notice, but if it wasn't there it would make a difference.

Gladiator is an example of a film with a fantastic musical score. It matches the scenes perfectly and doesn't interfere with the on-screen stuff, but just compliments it perfectly.

In a good film, none of the things I've mentioned should stick out above the rest. The should all work together to provide a fantastic experience.

This is harder than you would think to get right, which is why you get huge numbers of films which fail to deliver, and only a small number each year that are said to be good enough to go and watch.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:12
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I did a new topic along the same lines as this actually, about Music in games.

However, this is about films' music and quite a good topic too at that :D
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:41
Regular
"I am your father"
In a film where would we be without music? Now this sounds a bit stupid, but a horror film would be worthless if it didn't have the right composer and the right feeling towards it. So how do you create the feeling? Your emotions have to be played with and make you feel something in the film you are watching.

Whether it be a tense moment in the film where the music starts up slowly building up followed by the suddenly BANG. A terrifying moment in the film which sends you startled. Or maybe it is the death of someone to feel their greif. No matter what it is, then no film could get the feeling towards it.

And games do the same, Tomb Raider for example, the music just suddenly explodes and goes all drastic on us. I think when I first got that game the music always affected me. When playing a boss on games the music will change to set the scene. All cleverly done and probally 90% of people won't even notice it, they'll know it's there but take no notice.

One of the best films I belive used the music the greatest was Schindlers List. The emotions of the war and at the end when he breaks down realising he could have done more. Armageddon did the same with the ending, and the key moments in the film which you could just feel it was you who was loosing your father.

I think Hans Zimmer is possibly the greatest film composer of my time. Gladiator, True Romance, The Rock, Armageddon,Pearl Harbor and the list can go on and on. Every single film he has taken part in adds the emotions to the film and the Pearl Harbor soundtrack is perfect, depressing, emotional and memorable.

Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.