GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda GC Preview (unfinished)"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 11:04
Regular
Zelda??? What’s Zelda? Gamecube? Are you having me on, stop spouting rubbish and speak English. I mean who’s going to believe that a game called Zelda is coming out on a console called the Gamecube? Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Okay, I’ll cut the sarcasm now and get down to business. Spaceworld was the place that a creation of vast opportunity was unveiled. The name Zelda sends shivers down all Nintendo fans backs and luckily Nintendo didn’t disappoint us and showed off what could just be some of the most surprising yet exciting news I have heard in a long, long time. Link is back, but not as we know him.

At Spaceworld 2000 we were treated to a video of Zelda GC, looking like it was following on in the same style as the prequels on the N64 and it looked absolutely mind blowing. The game looked spectacular in every sense of the word, but we all knew that it wasn’t actually game footage and that it was just a video. At Spaceworld 2001 however Nintendo had something very special up their sleeve that no one, only the Zelda team themselves could have foreseen.

Zelda has had a complete makeover, for good for worse I don’t know, but I will explain. Forget the old look of the games, that is gone, instead we are going to be treated to a show of eye candy using the technique seen in Jet Set Radio called Cell Shading. Your kidding me right? I can hear some of you saying, well actually, no, no I am not. It is a strange decision, but don’t worry about it, this new graphical style gives the game a look so special it is impossible to believe that it is in game footage. Nintendo know what they are doing so we need not worry. Some may call it a risk, correction, it is a risk, but it is a risk I am sure will pay off when the game comes to be released.

When the new look was unveiled I was a bit confused at how different the game looked, but as I examined the screenshots and the Video that was shown at Spaceworld 2001 I realised that although the graphical style is different the main gameplay concepts are still there. If you look at the screenshots for the game you will see that the now common (for Zelda games) item select method has been employed for Links next gen adventure. This is something that will please many Zelda fans me included. Although the item select is not all that has been included. While watching the video you will notice that the enemies have red arrows above their heads, possibly hinting at the lock on targeting system is still being used for this next gen title.

All of the Zelda fans should rejoice with happiness as I can confirm many of their favourite weapons will be back for the new game. To name but a few the Fairy bow and the bombs are back. Its not only the weapons that are back though, the familiar hearts and rupees are here to stay as well. All of this is sure to confirm that the gameplay style will not be too dissimilar to the games many prequels.

But why buy a game that is so similar to the prequels? I mean just different graphics surely isn’t enough to warrant a purchase, however beautiful they look? This is probably something many of you are thinking. Well to answer that I am going to say that I am sure however many features from the old games are in it, I am sure there will be many, many new features to keep you interested in this new venture into the land that is Hyrule. Mind you, is it even still Hyrule that Link will be exploring? We haven’t been informed yet so I guess we will just have to wait and see as new game details emerge. I am sure many people were wary about Majoras Mask being too similar to Ocarina of Time, but was it? To me it wasn’t and I am sure many people agree.

Any dungeon explorers reading will be happy to hear that the dungeons of the previous games are back and looking better than ever. Looking gloomy and dank they look set to provide many hours of exploring and fighting. Unfortunately to accompany the dungeons the Keys of the previous games are back. As I see the icon in the top right hand corner of the screenshots, for the amount of keys remaining, my thoughts go back to the Forest dungeon in OoT and I remember how annoying it was trying to find the key right at the beginning (I still can’t believe I missed it the first time around). Although I don’t like this feature of the games, it is something that needs to be included for this to truly be a Zelda game.

After watching the latest video that was shown at Spaceworld 2001 it is clear that the whole darker feel of Zelda GC has been dropped out of the window. Along with the more mature looking game the darker moodier atmosphere has also gone. To replace it, it looks as if we are going to be treated to a comical game to say the least. For example at the end of the video Link is being chased down a tunnel by some monsters (looking reminiscent of the ones from Links Nes, GB and Snes adventures). As he gets to the end of the tunnel he spots a chandelier type light and he jumps for it. The monsters unaware of this run straight off the edge, but not before they can scramble around in mid air hinting at a roadrunner influenced cut scene. To me I think the comic side of the game will be a breath of life although I can still say that the game will still be as compulsive and addictive as ever with a strong storyline running throughout.

Anyone worrying that the, more cartoony look means a more simplistic approach to the controls can put there worries to rest as I am sure it isn’t even something worth considering happening. During the video we are treated to a few spectacular fight scenes showing off some of Links new fighting animations. Link is able to roll and flip his way around his enemy before viciously attacking them with his trust sword. We also see Link sneaking around a dark corridor, showing off the GC controllers analog stick. In fact I am sure that Link will have many more fight/moving animations in this game than in the prequels that have had countless animations before it.

Looking at the screenshots it is plain as daylight that Link is back to being a child in this new game. Gone is the chance to play as 17 year old Link and back is Link as a child. Whever you will have the chance to play as Adult Link is unconfirmed, but unless this new title has time travelling aspects in it, which I doubt very much, this new adventure is going to be played from the view point of Link as a child. To be honest I prefer this decision to play as child Link, as I tend to feel more emotion for him when he is a child. This would have been taking away from me had the original Zelda GC title been carried on through the development stage as that game featured the 17 year old Link.

But I think that the big question on all Nintendo fans will be “Why the change in graphical style from the past games?” The answer to this, for me is probably Nintendo wanting to bring Zelda back to its roots with a cartoony feel to the surroundings, much like Links early adventures on the Nes and the (disappointing) cartoon. The version shown at E3 was so much more adult looking and had many people dying to get their hands on it, but this new look is just as awe inspiring. Even though the graphical style has changed I feel that The Legend of Zelda GC will be one of the biggest games of next year and will satisfy any Nintendo fans Zelda cravings.

(;o|

Thanks for reading.
Tue 04/09/01 at 15:24
Good review!

I reckon thery changed it because it was too similar to StarFox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet and Mario Sunshine! It needed something to make it stand out. And now it does stand out!
People payed more attention to it than Mario Sunshine!
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:04
Regular
"<];o)"
Zelda??? What’s Zelda? Gamecube? Are you having me on, stop spouting rubbish and speak English. I mean who’s going to believe that a game called Zelda is coming out on a console called the Gamecube? Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Okay, I’ll cut the sarcasm now and get down to business. Spaceworld was the place that a creation of vast opportunity was unveiled. The name Zelda sends shivers down all Nintendo fans backs and luckily Nintendo didn’t disappoint us and showed off what could just be some of the most surprising yet exciting news I have heard in a long, long time. Link is back, but not as we know him.

At Spaceworld 2000 we were treated to a video of Zelda GC, looking like it was following on in the same style as the prequels on the N64 and it looked absolutely mind blowing. The game looked spectacular in every sense of the word, but we all knew that it wasn’t actually game footage and that it was just a video. At Spaceworld 2001 however Nintendo had something very special up their sleeve that no one, only the Zelda team themselves could have foreseen.

Zelda has had a complete makeover, for good for worse I don’t know, but I will explain. Forget the old look of the games, that is gone, instead we are going to be treated to a show of eye candy using the technique seen in Jet Set Radio called Cell Shading. Your kidding me right? I can hear some of you saying, well actually, no, no I am not. It is a strange decision, but don’t worry about it, this new graphical style gives the game a look so special it is impossible to believe that it is in game footage. Nintendo know what they are doing so we need not worry. Some may call it a risk, correction, it is a risk, but it is a risk I am sure will pay off when the game comes to be released.

When the new look was unveiled I was a bit confused at how different the game looked, but as I examined the screenshots and the Video that was shown at Spaceworld 2001 I realised that although the graphical style is different the main gameplay concepts are still there. If you look at the screenshots for the game you will see that the now common (for Zelda games) item select method has been employed for Links next gen adventure. This is something that will please many Zelda fans me included. Although the item select is not all that has been included. While watching the video you will notice that the enemies have red arrows above their heads, possibly hinting at the lock on targeting system is still being used for this next gen title.

All of the Zelda fans should rejoice with happiness as I can confirm many of their favourite weapons will be back for the new game. To name but a few the Fairy bow and the bombs are back. Its not only the weapons that are back though, the familiar hearts and rupees are here to stay as well. All of this is sure to confirm that the gameplay style will not be too dissimilar to the games many prequels.

But why buy a game that is so similar to the prequels? I mean just different graphics surely isn’t enough to warrant a purchase, however beautiful they look? This is probably something many of you are thinking. Well to answer that I am going to say that I am sure however many features from the old games are in it, I am sure there will be many, many new features to keep you interested in this new venture into the land that is Hyrule. Mind you, is it even still Hyrule that Link will be exploring? We haven’t been informed yet so I guess we will just have to wait and see as new game details emerge. I am sure many people were wary about Majoras Mask being too similar to Ocarina of Time, but was it? To me it wasn’t and I am sure many people agree.

Any dungeon explorers reading will be happy to hear that the dungeons of the previous games are back and looking better than ever. Looking gloomy and dank they look set to provide many hours of exploring and fighting. Unfortunately to accompany the dungeons the Keys of the previous games are back. As I see the icon in the top right hand corner of the screenshots, for the amount of keys remaining, my thoughts go back to the Forest dungeon in OoT and I remember how annoying it was trying to find the key right at the beginning (I still can’t believe I missed it the first time around). Although I don’t like this feature of the games, it is something that needs to be included for this to truly be a Zelda game.

After watching the latest video that was shown at Spaceworld 2001 it is clear that the whole darker feel of Zelda GC has been dropped out of the window. Along with the more mature looking game the darker moodier atmosphere has also gone. To replace it, it looks as if we are going to be treated to a comical game to say the least. For example at the end of the video Link is being chased down a tunnel by some monsters (looking reminiscent of the ones from Links Nes, GB and Snes adventures). As he gets to the end of the tunnel he spots a chandelier type light and he jumps for it. The monsters unaware of this run straight off the edge, but not before they can scramble around in mid air hinting at a roadrunner influenced cut scene. To me I think the comic side of the game will be a breath of life although I can still say that the game will still be as compulsive and addictive as ever with a strong storyline running throughout.

Anyone worrying that the, more cartoony look means a more simplistic approach to the controls can put there worries to rest as I am sure it isn’t even something worth considering happening. During the video we are treated to a few spectacular fight scenes showing off some of Links new fighting animations. Link is able to roll and flip his way around his enemy before viciously attacking them with his trust sword. We also see Link sneaking around a dark corridor, showing off the GC controllers analog stick. In fact I am sure that Link will have many more fight/moving animations in this game than in the prequels that have had countless animations before it.

Looking at the screenshots it is plain as daylight that Link is back to being a child in this new game. Gone is the chance to play as 17 year old Link and back is Link as a child. Whever you will have the chance to play as Adult Link is unconfirmed, but unless this new title has time travelling aspects in it, which I doubt very much, this new adventure is going to be played from the view point of Link as a child. To be honest I prefer this decision to play as child Link, as I tend to feel more emotion for him when he is a child. This would have been taking away from me had the original Zelda GC title been carried on through the development stage as that game featured the 17 year old Link.

But I think that the big question on all Nintendo fans will be “Why the change in graphical style from the past games?” The answer to this, for me is probably Nintendo wanting to bring Zelda back to its roots with a cartoony feel to the surroundings, much like Links early adventures on the Nes and the (disappointing) cartoon. The version shown at E3 was so much more adult looking and had many people dying to get their hands on it, but this new look is just as awe inspiring. Even though the graphical style has changed I feel that The Legend of Zelda GC will be one of the biggest games of next year and will satisfy any Nintendo fans Zelda cravings.

(;o|

Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.