GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Webmasters!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 10:29
Regular
I'm making a new website but I don't want anyone to steal my pictures, so can anyone tell me how to disable the right click function?
i'll be grateful for any help.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
it's updated with every letter you post, very clever stuff, but only 30 days worth of posting counts in your score, but on the all-time top 100, every message you ever wrote is recorded, aslong as you used the same account.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Let's hope...

Does the post count drop to 0 after the 30 days are up or something? I really don't get it...
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:51
Regular
I remember when it was rare for anyone to have over 1000 posts in the last 30 days.

Now most of the top tenhave, with some people getting into 2000 occasionally.

OF course, it is the summer holidays I suppose, so we may see these numbers drop now....
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> M16 wrote:
> For anyone who is just too lazy to look at
> Wookiee's URL, I will
> tell you what step 10 is, aren't I
> kind?! :D

Are you kind? Or are you trying to get your
> word-count up? ;-)

I doubt if I'm even in the top 100 lately... :(
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:23
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
M16 wrote:

So, Fogmaster... as
> you can see (read) they are not really fans of the disabling the
> right click method. However, if I didn't want people copying my pics
> I would use it. Yes, there IS a way of getting around it but the
> majority of people who use the net will be thrown at this and think,
> "ah, I can't copy this pic... must be copyrighted"

Up
> to you though mate!

Yeah, I see that but i'm hoping it would be enough to discourage them from stealing my pics, by the way this help wasn't for me, it was a for a friend, thankyou for all your help.
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:22
"High polygon count"
M16 wrote:
> For anyone who is just too lazy to look at Wookiee's URL, I will
> tell you what step 10 is, aren't I kind?! :D

Are you kind? Or are you trying to get your word-count up? ;-)
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:14
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
For anyone who is just too lazy to look at Wookiee's URL, I will tell you what step 10 is, aren't I kind?! :D

10) Disabling right-click
This is quite possibly the single most clueless feature an author can add to a page. It is usually done under the misapprehension that it will prevent the user from viewing source code or saving images from a page. Not only does disabling right-click achieve neither of those things, it actually encourages them. Circumventing this attempt at security usually takes about two seconds or less, using one of the following methods:

A) Click with both mouse buttons simultaneously
B) Press the "menu" button on a Windows keyboard (next to the right 'ctrl' button).
C) Hold down the right mouse button, answer the prompt by pressing 'enter', then release the right mouse button.
D) Turn off javascript in the browser. (This is rarely, if ever, necessary).

In the case of 'protecting' graphics, the right mouse button is not needed to save them, so disabling it serves no purpose at all:

A) *Left click* on the image and drag it off of the page into a graphics program or a local folder.
B) Hit the printscreen button on the keyboard, open a graphics program such as Paint Shop Pro and go Edit>Paste As New Image.
C) Retrieve the image from the browser cache.
D) View the page source and go directly to the url of the image.
E) Turn off javascript in the browser.

In addition to being completely worthless as a means of security, disabling right-click also makes it impossible for many people to use your site at all. Some browsers use the right mouse button as a means of accessing your information. Without it, your page may be rendered completely inaccessable to many users. Left handed people sometimes reverse the function of their mouse buttons so that the right button is used to click links. On a page where the author has attempted to interfere with right clicks, those users will not be able to navigate.

The right mouse button has a number of other functions besides 'view source' and 'save as'. The author who knows what those functions are would never consider trying to disable it. The author who doesn't understand the importance of those functions probably shouldn't be trying to disrupt them.

There is one very useful feature of disabling right-click on a site, however. It provides a quick and easy way for the visitor to identify the creator of a site as a person of severely diminished mental capacity.

So, Fogmaster... as you can see (read) they are not really fans of the disabling the right click method. However, if I didn't want people copying my pics I would use it. Yes, there IS a way of getting around it but the majority of people who use the net will be thrown at this and think, "ah, I can't copy this pic... must be copyrighted"

Up to you though mate!
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:08
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> You can find JavaScript to do it
> here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

However,
> it might be worth going
> here:

http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/dontdoit.htm

...and
> reading point 10 first.

thanks Wookie
Tue 04/09/01 at 10:55
"High polygon count"
You can find JavaScript to do it here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

However, it might be worth going here:

http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/dontdoit.htm

...and reading point 10 first.
Tue 04/09/01 at 10:47
Regular
"<];o)"
Very good idea Fogmaster, unfortunately even though I have a site I am unable to help. I don't see why the official Nintendo site doesn't do this as well. I mea I have nicked plenty of their pictures :P

(;o|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.