GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"There's something missing..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 22:55
Regular
You save your money for the new release, place a reservation form and wait for the game.

You play, You laugh, You cry, You put it in the cupboard and don't touch it until you next decide to clean out the cupboard.

Everyone has done it bought a game played it once and locked it away, the problem is that we do it with all games even some of the good ones. New games have so much build up that you could sell them as movies, This is the problem.

When you wait so long for a game the anticipation is immense and what happens the games turn out to be pap. And I don't mean that it's not fun to play.

When a game is released the biggest thing used to sell it is the long used phrase, 'You'll never put it down' or 'You can't leave it for a minute', and what does it mean, NOTHING!

Once every very blue moon a game is released that you just can't put down it's true. They're on every console and in every genre. But that’s it, I won't point fingers and name games but you all know which ones i mean, they're all missing something, the question is 'What?'

Games that you can't put down have something, a special thing that makes you wanna do more, play more and even beat the high score. Large company have got this down to the tee, squaresoft, konami, rare they all makes games that have the thing so how do they find it?

There are multiple games being released in the dark small games by small companies or as side games by large companies that aren’t even worth the effort, not because they aren't fun to play, but because you can't play them for hours, a prime example of this is modern conversions of original games that have 'Brand new features' that are so boring they make an insomniac sleep.

So I say this, Games NEED to be addictive because else it's a waste of money, Games have to be long and make you feel different emotions and Games have to be known or all the good games are left out of all charts and are covered up by other games on the shelf.

And why do companies like konami, squaresoft and rare release side games that are complete pap? To make another ten thousand pounds compared to the ten million they make with there major releases, They're not worth it, so don't do it!
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:36
Regular
"I am your father"
I agree but some games I belive have lived up to what I was hoping. ISS 2 I felt wasn't hugely improved but it was still a great game which I love, maybe I was a bit disappointed with it. What about Operation Flashpoint? Or SimCity 3000? I enjoy games just as much as the next person, but I don't find them all great like you said. Probally because of all the hype. I'm looking forward to MGS2 more than any other game ever, it looks graphically superb, but will it live up to my expectations? I hope so.
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:27
Regular
Yes, but why should we have to do that? Why can't games ever live up... well, hardly ever, live up to expectations?

Only game that really did for me, was Skies Of Arcadia. I though, well, it would be a bit of fun. Now it's pretty much my favourite game ever.

One of the problems of hype today though, is the internet. Now, instead of seeing one preview, then a review, and then playing it, we get to see all the shows, the development, much more adverts... with such a huge amount of information available, it's obvious we'll get carried away, I suppose.

I'm not really hyped about the Gamecube, thankfully. I'm just going to have it delivered, put some games in, and play them. And that's all.
Tue 04/09/01 at 16:10
Regular
I think you suffer from overhype a bit.

Try not to believe too much what magazines say about games.
They always exadurate.

Instead, once you've ordered, look at the pictures and reviews and convince yourself you've made a mistake and the game is crap.
That way, when it arrives you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Mon 03/09/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Interesting, and true...
Mon 03/09/01 at 22:55
Regular
"Same as above^"
You save your money for the new release, place a reservation form and wait for the game.

You play, You laugh, You cry, You put it in the cupboard and don't touch it until you next decide to clean out the cupboard.

Everyone has done it bought a game played it once and locked it away, the problem is that we do it with all games even some of the good ones. New games have so much build up that you could sell them as movies, This is the problem.

When you wait so long for a game the anticipation is immense and what happens the games turn out to be pap. And I don't mean that it's not fun to play.

When a game is released the biggest thing used to sell it is the long used phrase, 'You'll never put it down' or 'You can't leave it for a minute', and what does it mean, NOTHING!

Once every very blue moon a game is released that you just can't put down it's true. They're on every console and in every genre. But that’s it, I won't point fingers and name games but you all know which ones i mean, they're all missing something, the question is 'What?'

Games that you can't put down have something, a special thing that makes you wanna do more, play more and even beat the high score. Large company have got this down to the tee, squaresoft, konami, rare they all makes games that have the thing so how do they find it?

There are multiple games being released in the dark small games by small companies or as side games by large companies that aren’t even worth the effort, not because they aren't fun to play, but because you can't play them for hours, a prime example of this is modern conversions of original games that have 'Brand new features' that are so boring they make an insomniac sleep.

So I say this, Games NEED to be addictive because else it's a waste of money, Games have to be long and make you feel different emotions and Games have to be known or all the good games are left out of all charts and are covered up by other games on the shelf.

And why do companies like konami, squaresoft and rare release side games that are complete pap? To make another ten thousand pounds compared to the ten million they make with there major releases, They're not worth it, so don't do it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.