GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Seems pretty silly to me....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 19:58
Regular
Oh dear, what have Microsoft done now? In case you haven't heard, I shall tell you:

In an attempt to cut down on pirated versions of their software (in the Far East it is thought that only 3% of software is genuine), Microsoft have dreamt up a new system of protection. Windows XP will require the owner to officially "activate" the software within a month of installation. What this means is that the computer will "look" at your hardware, and from this create a unique "fingerprint" code.

You then have to phone Microsoft or go to the website, give them your code and get some type of activation number back. The whole point of this is to stop more than one CD being used on a number of computers, even if the CD is copied.

What does seem stupid is that each time you upgrade your computer, you'll have to get a new code. Initially the system didn't allow for this, which seems pretty stupid to me, but after it was pointed out by beta testers MS say they will change it to allow a certain number of upgrades over a certain amount of time.

Is it me, or is this just anti-piracy gone mad?

The system won't be impossible to crack no doubt tools will be made available on the 'net pretty sharpish after release anyway. Also, it won't just be pirates who want to get round the system. Non-pirates will be eager to avoid the hassle of registering each time, especially if they upgrade their system on a regular basis.

Carrying on with a similar topic, the US courts have had words with Napster of they (Napster) only managed to block 99.8% of copy-written (is that right? Copyrighted doesn't does right to me...) files. Audio fingerpriniting is apparently the next step, with programs checking the "acustic pattern" of songs, instead of just the file name.

Thoughts?
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:27
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
I suppose its a good ide to prevent crime but sales may go down cos i woudl not be bothered to buy software and 'activate it' too much hassel! How much are the phone calls to dial up microsoft?? hmmmm.. doesn't sound very good to me, its not as if Microsoft are a company in debt!!
Tue 04/09/01 at 16:38
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
There is no single "linux" company who could advertise, information is spread via word of mouth and online forums/newsgroups....it's not designed to be a commercial venture, although RedHat are successfully managing to turn it in to one..
Tue 04/09/01 at 15:39
Regular
So most of the piracy losses come from big business men...

but only the home copies have been made awkward for users.

Microsoft are being a bit dim.

I think that Linux are gearing up a big advert capaign as we speak.

"Choose the software you can actually use!"
Tue 04/09/01 at 11:11
What a bad idea, imaging how crammed the phone lines could get and what if noone answers and you're left for days without the ability to use your computer. It's not just silly, it's downright insane. Anyway, they could just get something like they use to steal cars with a key code.
Tue 04/09/01 at 08:53
Regular
I don't think you'll have to get a new code each time you reboot, unless you change your hardware as well.

But it seems stupid to me.

Although there a large number of different hardware set-ups that are available, it's not going to take some crackers long to figure out that if you have a 1.4 Gig Athlon, 256MB RAM, a 40 GB HDD and a GeForce 2 then the code will be 1234567890 or whatever.

I personally think it is Microsoft gone mad, trying to cut down piracy in the area that probably costs them least in losses anyway.

This function won't bo on the businees edition, just the home edition, so either more people will want to get around it, just because it's a pain, or people who know will stick with either Windows 98, 2000 or ME.
Mon 03/09/01 at 20:01
"High polygon count"
I think MS are about to find out just how often their crappy OS crashes and takes out people's systems! :-)
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:58
Regular
Oh dear, what have Microsoft done now? In case you haven't heard, I shall tell you:

In an attempt to cut down on pirated versions of their software (in the Far East it is thought that only 3% of software is genuine), Microsoft have dreamt up a new system of protection. Windows XP will require the owner to officially "activate" the software within a month of installation. What this means is that the computer will "look" at your hardware, and from this create a unique "fingerprint" code.

You then have to phone Microsoft or go to the website, give them your code and get some type of activation number back. The whole point of this is to stop more than one CD being used on a number of computers, even if the CD is copied.

What does seem stupid is that each time you upgrade your computer, you'll have to get a new code. Initially the system didn't allow for this, which seems pretty stupid to me, but after it was pointed out by beta testers MS say they will change it to allow a certain number of upgrades over a certain amount of time.

Is it me, or is this just anti-piracy gone mad?

The system won't be impossible to crack no doubt tools will be made available on the 'net pretty sharpish after release anyway. Also, it won't just be pirates who want to get round the system. Non-pirates will be eager to avoid the hassle of registering each time, especially if they upgrade their system on a regular basis.

Carrying on with a similar topic, the US courts have had words with Napster of they (Napster) only managed to block 99.8% of copy-written (is that right? Copyrighted doesn't does right to me...) files. Audio fingerpriniting is apparently the next step, with programs checking the "acustic pattern" of songs, instead of just the file name.

Thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.