GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Cause (Xbox 360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Just Cause'.
Fri 23/02/07 at 00:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
From the start Just Cause looks and feels a little different to any other Xbox 360 game. From the off you realise the true potential of the game as you free-fall at speed from the sky racing towards earth. Open your parachute and glide down and land onto of a moving vehicle before kicking out the driver and taking control. Sounds fun and it is. The over the top ‘stunt’ style actions make Just Cause that little bit different to any other game you will have played.

Visually the game looks good, your surroundings and the landscapes from sky to sea look pretty impressive throughout the game. as with most next gen games on the 360 it supports the usual high definition resolutions making it look stunning on a high definition tele. As you glide down to the ground from quite a height on your parachute you should take the time to view the Island around you - you need to see it just to appreciate how good it looks.

You are Rico Rodriguez, a special agent trying to help overturn the government and return freedom to the Island of San Esperito. Being a special agent you have a special array of weapons, vehicles and gadgets at your disposal to assist you along your missions.

The Island of San Esperito itself is huge, probably the largest open spaced level I’ve seen in any game and it has some impressive landscapes ranging from rural camps, high mountains and volcanoes and secret military bases. Just lucky from you there are plenty of ways to get around the Island.

The game boasts to contain over 80 vehicles to use throughout the game ranging from cars, bikes, planes, helicopters and boats. Sadly though only a fraction of these are fast enough or fun enough to use throughout the game.

Sadly though the game fails to live up to the potential it has... While the main mission and storyline is enough to keep you entertained there are loads of small side missions to do which sadly get very tiresome and boring very quickly – you can of course stick to just the main missions but you'll probably need to work your way through some side missions at some point. Missions themselves usually involve travelling to an area of the island and destroying enemy bases, shooting some bad guys or going after enemy leaders.

The map highlights areas of interest on the map – ranging from the location of your next mission, any side missions, special vehicles and your hideouts where you can re-supply and get yourself a new vehicle. The agency you work for will also drop supplies for you at any location or air lift you and drop you off at locations around the Island.

The best parts of the game are definitely flying though the air jumping from helicopter to helicopter, car to car, helicopter to car, boat and performing these stunts while carrying out one of the main missions. Driving a bike of a cliff at high speed then releasing your parachute is something you'll likely do over and over. It looks great and certainly makes the game play differently to most games in this genre.

The control system works well but your characters movement can only be described as 'a little odd'. Rico prances around like a thunder bird puppet blasting enemies left right and centre all a little too easily. The aiming system also makes things too easy even when you face a whole squad of enemy soldiers. Given the fact that there are also a wide arsenal of weapons that you can use and carry it really at times feels like you are unstoppable.

I enjoyed playing through Just Cause, it's a bit different to the normal games and it will certainly keep you occupied as you wait for the next 'must have' 360 game. However I wouldn't be paying full price for it, should be able to pick it up quite cheap now – well worth checking out if you like this genre of game. Put simply it's a fun game that shouldn't be taken too seriously, it looks good, plays pretty well and should keep you busy for a few weeks.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 23/02/07 at 00:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
From the start Just Cause looks and feels a little different to any other Xbox 360 game. From the off you realise the true potential of the game as you free-fall at speed from the sky racing towards earth. Open your parachute and glide down and land onto of a moving vehicle before kicking out the driver and taking control. Sounds fun and it is. The over the top ‘stunt’ style actions make Just Cause that little bit different to any other game you will have played.

Visually the game looks good, your surroundings and the landscapes from sky to sea look pretty impressive throughout the game. as with most next gen games on the 360 it supports the usual high definition resolutions making it look stunning on a high definition tele. As you glide down to the ground from quite a height on your parachute you should take the time to view the Island around you - you need to see it just to appreciate how good it looks.

You are Rico Rodriguez, a special agent trying to help overturn the government and return freedom to the Island of San Esperito. Being a special agent you have a special array of weapons, vehicles and gadgets at your disposal to assist you along your missions.

The Island of San Esperito itself is huge, probably the largest open spaced level I’ve seen in any game and it has some impressive landscapes ranging from rural camps, high mountains and volcanoes and secret military bases. Just lucky from you there are plenty of ways to get around the Island.

The game boasts to contain over 80 vehicles to use throughout the game ranging from cars, bikes, planes, helicopters and boats. Sadly though only a fraction of these are fast enough or fun enough to use throughout the game.

Sadly though the game fails to live up to the potential it has... While the main mission and storyline is enough to keep you entertained there are loads of small side missions to do which sadly get very tiresome and boring very quickly – you can of course stick to just the main missions but you'll probably need to work your way through some side missions at some point. Missions themselves usually involve travelling to an area of the island and destroying enemy bases, shooting some bad guys or going after enemy leaders.

The map highlights areas of interest on the map – ranging from the location of your next mission, any side missions, special vehicles and your hideouts where you can re-supply and get yourself a new vehicle. The agency you work for will also drop supplies for you at any location or air lift you and drop you off at locations around the Island.

The best parts of the game are definitely flying though the air jumping from helicopter to helicopter, car to car, helicopter to car, boat and performing these stunts while carrying out one of the main missions. Driving a bike of a cliff at high speed then releasing your parachute is something you'll likely do over and over. It looks great and certainly makes the game play differently to most games in this genre.

The control system works well but your characters movement can only be described as 'a little odd'. Rico prances around like a thunder bird puppet blasting enemies left right and centre all a little too easily. The aiming system also makes things too easy even when you face a whole squad of enemy soldiers. Given the fact that there are also a wide arsenal of weapons that you can use and carry it really at times feels like you are unstoppable.

I enjoyed playing through Just Cause, it's a bit different to the normal games and it will certainly keep you occupied as you wait for the next 'must have' 360 game. However I wouldn't be paying full price for it, should be able to pick it up quite cheap now – well worth checking out if you like this genre of game. Put simply it's a fun game that shouldn't be taken too seriously, it looks good, plays pretty well and should keep you busy for a few weeks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.