GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mp3's...your thoughts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 18:16
Regular
We live in the age where nearly everyone in a developed country has or can get access to the internet. And with the internet comes the prospect of downloading free songs in the form of mp3’s. Now how do you feel about this? Do you think that this is good because the record company and bands/artists are already rich anyway, or do you think that mp3’s are a bad thing and might eventually kill the record business (highly unlikely)? This is the question that has been going through my head for a while now and I think that I finally have an answer.

Personally I believe that mp3’s are a good thing for fans and bands alike, but only in some circumstances. Mp3’s can be simply brilliant in some situations, for example, if you are trying to find a song that cannot be found anywhere in the shops, you have a very good chance of finding the song on the internet. I myself have got quite a few mp3’s on my computer that I wouldn’t have a chance of finding in the high street. Also, I think it is acceptable to download songs that are in the charts but under one condition, for personal use only.

This brings me to what I think is completely unacceptable, downloading albums then selling them for a cut-down price on the black market. This is something that I am completely against and would welcome any move by record companies to somehow make it so when you rip a CD and make the tracks into mp3’s, you cannot put them back onto CD’s. I don’t know if this can be done but should be definitely looked into.

Some people will disagree with me when I say that I find it quite acceptable to download as many songs as you want, even if they are for personal use only, but this is my opinion on the situation. I don’t know about you but I get very annoyed when I hear on the news about massive multi-billion pound artists or record companies creating legal battles in their plight to rid the internet of mp3’s. I would like to think that this is only because of the piracy issue, but to I think this is because they want more money to throw in the pile.

In conclusion, I think that mp3’s are completely acceptable but only for personal use but I am totally against downloading mp3’s so you can burn them onto a disk and sell them. I would really like to know what you think about the situation,

Thanks for reading, AK
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:28
Regular
Mp3 is great as you can put all your music onto one Database and listen to a good mix with no cd changing
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:22
Regular
love em...winmx the best mp3 sharing thingy i have ever used
Mon 03/09/01 at 18:41
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It's not just the sound quality. I prefer the packaging and general presentation that you just don't get from a boring cd-r. Though there are cd labelling kits and online databases of cd labels and inserts. So theoretically you could make a perfect copy with a very good printer.
Mon 03/09/01 at 18:38
misterhappy wrote:
If anything access to mp3s has resulted in me
> buying more cds than I would have and also discovering many bands I
> would simply not have had access to without the internet.

Same here, even though I could get all the songs off the album in mp3 format, in my opinion, nothing sounds better than the official CD.
Mon 03/09/01 at 18:26
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I completely agree. I have the capacity to burn a copy of an album by downloading all its tracks off the internet. But I don't do it. Often I will get a few tracks off an album and decide whether or not to buy it. Once I managed to get all the tracks off one album, but I still bought it. If anything access to mp3s has resulted in me buying more cds than I would have and also discovering many bands I would simply not have had access to without the internet.

The internet is a great way of sampling albums. The main problem area for the record industry is the sales of singles. These have dropped dramatically. However, it's all part of the business evolution, the record industry has milked a lot of cash from extortionately priced singles. Sooner or later they would have been investigated for over-pricing or collusion. The advent of Mp3's also spells the end for Bands who write one good song per album and have 10 tracks of filler to pad it out. Now the consumer can check out an album and make an informed purchase. That is the key, information. The record industry has kept the consumer poorly informed for too long and has finally come to regret it.

Finally the record companies do blame mp3s for falling profits. However, we are living through a global recession at the moment and once the world's economies pick up again, especially America's companies should see a return to healthy profits. Ultimately the mp3 is great for good bands and the end for bad ones.
Mon 03/09/01 at 18:25
mp3's are great!!!!!.i have adsl and that is mostly used on downloading mp3s from file sharing programmes (not napster anymore coz they banned me and it was starting to get very crap)...i have got about 600 mp3's now.....i put the music onto cd's for myself to use in my car and for my mates if they want any particular albums or songs!!...ive not bought a cd in the last year and a half !..its fair enough for people accuse me of ripping off companies...but...its for my own use.....i dont sell the cds i make.....
Mon 03/09/01 at 18:16
We live in the age where nearly everyone in a developed country has or can get access to the internet. And with the internet comes the prospect of downloading free songs in the form of mp3’s. Now how do you feel about this? Do you think that this is good because the record company and bands/artists are already rich anyway, or do you think that mp3’s are a bad thing and might eventually kill the record business (highly unlikely)? This is the question that has been going through my head for a while now and I think that I finally have an answer.

Personally I believe that mp3’s are a good thing for fans and bands alike, but only in some circumstances. Mp3’s can be simply brilliant in some situations, for example, if you are trying to find a song that cannot be found anywhere in the shops, you have a very good chance of finding the song on the internet. I myself have got quite a few mp3’s on my computer that I wouldn’t have a chance of finding in the high street. Also, I think it is acceptable to download songs that are in the charts but under one condition, for personal use only.

This brings me to what I think is completely unacceptable, downloading albums then selling them for a cut-down price on the black market. This is something that I am completely against and would welcome any move by record companies to somehow make it so when you rip a CD and make the tracks into mp3’s, you cannot put them back onto CD’s. I don’t know if this can be done but should be definitely looked into.

Some people will disagree with me when I say that I find it quite acceptable to download as many songs as you want, even if they are for personal use only, but this is my opinion on the situation. I don’t know about you but I get very annoyed when I hear on the news about massive multi-billion pound artists or record companies creating legal battles in their plight to rid the internet of mp3’s. I would like to think that this is only because of the piracy issue, but to I think this is because they want more money to throw in the pile.

In conclusion, I think that mp3’s are completely acceptable but only for personal use but I am totally against downloading mp3’s so you can burn them onto a disk and sell them. I would really like to know what you think about the situation,

Thanks for reading, AK

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.