GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nationalism"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 13:00
Regular
OK. I'm Welsh, I live in Cardiff and I have many English friends. What I experienced on Saturday night disgusted me..

A couple of my English friends were out enjoying a drink, watching the match. They managed to find a decent pub in the city center where they could have a drink and watch England play Germany. After a fantastic win they decided to head home. During the walk they were confronted by a 'Welshman' who took a dislike to my friend wearing an England shirt. Now he wasn't parading round with the George Cross draped over his shoulders, shouting abuse or making any obvious remarks, just walking home.

A few foul remarks were thrown at my friend but he decided to shrug them off and continue on his journey. Unaware to him the 'welshman' was following. A couple of minutes later my friend received a harsh beating. So harsh infact that he is awaiting reconstructive surgery to his jaw and wont be leaving hospital for at least 2 weeks.

When I found out about this is made me embarrassed to be Welsh. A bit of sporting rivalry has never been a problem, but when this turns into violence I fear there is a bigger problem to be addressed. I am aware that the Welsh are a fiercely patriotic nation but I am completely unaware as to why they aim this at the English.

OK we have a little history, but to be honest if half the people in Wales picked up a history book every once in a while they would realise that we have more of a reason to dislike the French (even they had a few problems - William II had 2 failed attempts at conquering Wales) more than the English. Anyway, the nation practically embraced the Act of Union between England and Wales in 1536..

So where did this come from? Personally I think this is anger aimed at the English but not necessarily caused by the English. Sport being the most obvious example. In regards to rugby, we live in the past. Yes in the 1970's Wales was probably the best rugby nation on earth but that was 30 years ago. We have been terrible since the 80's and have failed to improve since then. England have also been bad but are now comparitive to most southern hemisphere teams. Is this a reason to hate a nation? Stereophonics you also have a lot to answer for here..

Football - we have never been good. We've only qualified for the world cup once and that was in the 50's. We have one world class player, but as they say - you're only as good as your weakest player, of which we have many. We dont even have a decent league team worthy of being Welsh. Again England are on the up and we dont like it...

The problem is that we refuse to take responsibilty for our actions. The blame is always shifted to something or someone else. We cannot stand on our own two feet and be taken seriously. There are huge divisions within Wales that need to be addressed - that of language, education, industry and culture. It is our discontent with our own nation that we decide to take out on England. In 1998 we voted for devolution - to take a 'stance' as it were, and so far we have done nothing but embarrass ourselves.

True freedom comes with responsibilty.
Mon 03/09/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Acid Casual"
OK. I'm Welsh, I live in Cardiff and I have many English friends. What I experienced on Saturday night disgusted me..

A couple of my English friends were out enjoying a drink, watching the match. They managed to find a decent pub in the city center where they could have a drink and watch England play Germany. After a fantastic win they decided to head home. During the walk they were confronted by a 'Welshman' who took a dislike to my friend wearing an England shirt. Now he wasn't parading round with the George Cross draped over his shoulders, shouting abuse or making any obvious remarks, just walking home.

A few foul remarks were thrown at my friend but he decided to shrug them off and continue on his journey. Unaware to him the 'welshman' was following. A couple of minutes later my friend received a harsh beating. So harsh infact that he is awaiting reconstructive surgery to his jaw and wont be leaving hospital for at least 2 weeks.

When I found out about this is made me embarrassed to be Welsh. A bit of sporting rivalry has never been a problem, but when this turns into violence I fear there is a bigger problem to be addressed. I am aware that the Welsh are a fiercely patriotic nation but I am completely unaware as to why they aim this at the English.

OK we have a little history, but to be honest if half the people in Wales picked up a history book every once in a while they would realise that we have more of a reason to dislike the French (even they had a few problems - William II had 2 failed attempts at conquering Wales) more than the English. Anyway, the nation practically embraced the Act of Union between England and Wales in 1536..

So where did this come from? Personally I think this is anger aimed at the English but not necessarily caused by the English. Sport being the most obvious example. In regards to rugby, we live in the past. Yes in the 1970's Wales was probably the best rugby nation on earth but that was 30 years ago. We have been terrible since the 80's and have failed to improve since then. England have also been bad but are now comparitive to most southern hemisphere teams. Is this a reason to hate a nation? Stereophonics you also have a lot to answer for here..

Football - we have never been good. We've only qualified for the world cup once and that was in the 50's. We have one world class player, but as they say - you're only as good as your weakest player, of which we have many. We dont even have a decent league team worthy of being Welsh. Again England are on the up and we dont like it...

The problem is that we refuse to take responsibilty for our actions. The blame is always shifted to something or someone else. We cannot stand on our own two feet and be taken seriously. There are huge divisions within Wales that need to be addressed - that of language, education, industry and culture. It is our discontent with our own nation that we decide to take out on England. In 1998 we voted for devolution - to take a 'stance' as it were, and so far we have done nothing but embarrass ourselves.

True freedom comes with responsibilty.
Wed 05/09/01 at 08:20
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
well said ....now go claim you prize
Wed 05/09/01 at 09:18
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Well thankyou, I think I will..
Wed 05/09/01 at 09:35
"High polygon count"
Congratulations, Craw - well deserved.

As you'll know from elsewhere in this forum, I consider myself an English nationalist - but in the 'better' sense of the word.

I have nothing against anyone, and certainly wouldn't dream of resorting to the violence you descibed here.

Why people feel the need to batter someone senseless just to prove how proud they are of their country, I'll never know.

Anyway, again - well done.
Wed 05/09/01 at 10:46
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Thanks Wookiee.

Its funny that a discussion that evoked not a single response won. I'm more impressed with SR than myself.
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:00
"High polygon count"
Craw wrote:
> Its funny that a discussion that evoked not a single response won.

The sign of a perfect post, maybe? You covered everything so well that no-one could offer any more - which is no doubt why you won!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.