GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite classic console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/06/00 at 15:37
Regular
What's everyones favourite classic console and why? My favourite is the NES because of the amazingly playable games. I'm only 12 and it was my first ever console. Sure my friends scoffed at my NES when they had their SNES's and Sega's but I loved it. I have super Mario Brohers and Duck hunt. I've got loads more but I don't eant to bore you. The only thing I don't like about the NES is the controller design. My hands get so sore from playing on the NES for hours because the controllers are rectangular.
Sat 03/06/00 at 15:37
What's everyones favourite classic console and why? My favourite is the NES because of the amazingly playable games. I'm only 12 and it was my first ever console. Sure my friends scoffed at my NES when they had their SNES's and Sega's but I loved it. I have super Mario Brohers and Duck hunt. I've got loads more but I don't eant to bore you. The only thing I don't like about the NES is the controller design. My hands get so sore from playing on the NES for hours because the controllers are rectangular.
Sat 03/06/00 at 17:15
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
duck hunt's a brilliant game! that was my first game also.
but the snes was better.
Thu 20/07/00 at 16:37
the nes is also my fav. old console
my first game was kung fu and i loved it.
i can still remember walking down the looonnnnngggggggggg corridor aimlessly beating up ninja's.
the controller didnt sean to bother me as i was mezmorised by the capabilities of this new-found wonder machine.
i look at it gathering dust with misty eyes and thing to my self there is where it all started...
now-a-days i spend all my money on computer games and still seam to be mazmorised by games like perfect dark and mario.......

Brad wrote:
> What's everyones favourite classic console and why? My favourite
> is the NES because of the amazingly playable games. I'm only 12
> and it was my first ever console. Sure my friends scoffed at my
> NES when they had their SNES's and Sega's but I loved it. I have
> super Mario Brohers and Duck hunt. I've got loads more but I
> don't eant to bore you. The only thing I don't like about the NES
> is the controller design. My hands get so sore from playing on
> the NES for hours because the controllers are rectangular.
Thu 09/11/00 at 14:38
"possibly impossible"
It's interesting to note just how long these older computers and consoles survived in a market where now-a-days it's acceptable to change machines every 3-5 years. The 8-bit machines in particular had an impressively long life compared to today's Playstation etc.

It's obvious that this was mainly due to the speed at which technology moved back then, PCs were still considered to be work machines and had only a few basic games which managed 'two pixel' graphics and bleep bleep noises. People were still amazed at what the Spectrum and C64 could achieve even by the time that the Atari ST and Amiga came out. It was during this time that the PC became a popular home entertainment factor and the SNES and Megadrive kicked off a new interest in games (it wasn't all down to Sony's advertising as many people would have you believe) but the old computers were still going strong nearly 10 years after they first arrived.

It's not a bad thing that technology moves so fast, the new generation of consoles and the hype surrounding them shows that people will always want more of everthing, although the cost of upgrading or buying new consoles does pose a major problem. Sega tried the upgrade route with it's megaCD etc, but it seems that in the end everyone wants a new machine as soon as the technology becomes available. Oh for the old days!
Sun 03/12/00 at 16:20
The NES has my vote. I still pay on it now and again, for memories sake. I think my favourite game had to be RC Pro AM, It was just amazing. Made by rare also. The NES controller design was functional, if not ergonomic and didn't have any faffy buttons. I remeber the christmas of 89 when I first got it, we played on it for hours on games like CLU CLU land and of course Mario. It's also good to see these classic games coming out on the gameboy colour. It was a milestone in the games industry, and was always ahead of the master system.
Mon 04/12/00 at 16:29
Regular
Humm.

The NES was only ahead of the Master System in popularity, I think the Master System was, on whole, the better console.

Anyway, I think the Megadrive was my favourite console.

Not sure why.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.