GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"James McCloud in F-Zero...??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'F-Zero GX'.
Thu 20/11/03 at 12:12
Regular
"Long time no see!"
F-Zero GX - what a fine example of high-speed, futuristic racing that is, eh? There is no faster racer on the planet. It won't be beaten by anything in development. Trouble is... it's so-damn-hard!!

But I am progressing with it, slowly, and, most importantly, I am enjoying this game (...at all times except for when I have to Retire!).
With the points I am collecting, and things I am unlocking, I have come across something which came as a surprise to me... a race named James McCloud.

Now, it's not because I'm actually 'good' with this particular guy or anything, but wasn't James the father of FOX McCloud who, in StarFox Adventures, we found out was destroyed by the ever-present Andross...?

What's more, he even looks quite like him. Okay, so we don't know for sure what James looks like, but, to me, his clothing closely resembles that of Fox in `StarFox´ games of the past.

And one-more thing... Is that an Arwing he's driving??
Obviously, it's going to be an on-ground vehicle rather than an airborne one; but it looks very-much-like a StarFox craft, if you ask me...!

Only main difference between them (besides the fact this is a 'racer' rather than a space-shooter) is that he is now a human; not a fox.
But still, I believe this is (somehow...) the same Nintendo character, in a different state of form, for some reason...

Perhaps, when he was "defeated" by Andross, he ended up in some kind of 'alternate-dimension', which just happened to be in F-Zero...?

And, for anyone who has played the past F-Zero games (because I haven't), does he also feature in any of those, or not?
I just find it very strange to see Nintendo have included a character with such a likeness for one of another series altogether.

Then again, there is a grey fox (whose name I can't remember) that looks like Fox McCloud. And, is it just me, or are the majority of the other characters just cheap "rip-offs" from Marvel Comics Heroes??

I just find it all very strange, and interesting...
Anyone else noticed anything?
Thu 20/11/03 at 12:12
Regular
"Long time no see!"
F-Zero GX - what a fine example of high-speed, futuristic racing that is, eh? There is no faster racer on the planet. It won't be beaten by anything in development. Trouble is... it's so-damn-hard!!

But I am progressing with it, slowly, and, most importantly, I am enjoying this game (...at all times except for when I have to Retire!).
With the points I am collecting, and things I am unlocking, I have come across something which came as a surprise to me... a race named James McCloud.

Now, it's not because I'm actually 'good' with this particular guy or anything, but wasn't James the father of FOX McCloud who, in StarFox Adventures, we found out was destroyed by the ever-present Andross...?

What's more, he even looks quite like him. Okay, so we don't know for sure what James looks like, but, to me, his clothing closely resembles that of Fox in `StarFox´ games of the past.

And one-more thing... Is that an Arwing he's driving??
Obviously, it's going to be an on-ground vehicle rather than an airborne one; but it looks very-much-like a StarFox craft, if you ask me...!

Only main difference between them (besides the fact this is a 'racer' rather than a space-shooter) is that he is now a human; not a fox.
But still, I believe this is (somehow...) the same Nintendo character, in a different state of form, for some reason...

Perhaps, when he was "defeated" by Andross, he ended up in some kind of 'alternate-dimension', which just happened to be in F-Zero...?

And, for anyone who has played the past F-Zero games (because I haven't), does he also feature in any of those, or not?
I just find it very strange to see Nintendo have included a character with such a likeness for one of another series altogether.

Then again, there is a grey fox (whose name I can't remember) that looks like Fox McCloud. And, is it just me, or are the majority of the other characters just cheap "rip-offs" from Marvel Comics Heroes??

I just find it all very strange, and interesting...
Anyone else noticed anything?
Thu 20/11/03 at 15:18
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
He was in F-Zero before Lylat Wars was made.

:-)
Thu 20/11/03 at 15:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
And yes, it is the same James McCloud. It was Lylat Wars that took him from the original F-Zero. Odd stuff, yes.

He's a top racer in GX as well.
Thu 20/11/03 at 17:10
Regular
Heh. When I read the topic title I was racking my brains trying to think where I'd heard the name. I could only think of the Highlander, some relative of Christopher Lambert...
Thu 20/11/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Which F-Zero did James McCloud first appear in then...?

I remember him in F-Zero X, but I'm sure he wasn't in F-Zero on the SNES (which would be the only one made before Starfox, as there was Starfox on the SNES which did mentioned Foxes Dad, and I *think* named him as James McCloud too... correct me if I'm wrong...)
Thu 20/11/03 at 19:09
Regular
"everyone says it"
I think he was originally tied into the storyline of Fox McCloud before any of the games featuring either character were made :D
Fri 21/11/03 at 12:16
Regular
I remember him in the phone book before either game was being planned...
:^p
Fri 21/11/03 at 13:28
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Nintendo have always dropped references to other titles of theirs in games, it's not part of some big cross-game story or anything. Look at the giant grabber robot in the background of Port Town for example...
Fri 21/11/03 at 16:54
Regular
F Zero, Metroid and Starfox are VERY close together in terms of games as sci fi titles. Like Wave RAce, 1080 and Excitebike or Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong.

Part of a certain development situation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.