GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega seems to have split!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/08/01 at 22:22
Regular
So Sega are releasing games on all three new consoles.
Infact, they're releasing different games on each console.

Yes, old news but things have become a little clearer.

Unfortunately for PS2 owners, their future isn't as blue as on the other consoles.
So far, all they've had is a few Dreamcast conversions.
It seems to me that Sega are just trying to make a little extra bit of cash while they wait for the other 2 consoles.

The two remainders are Xbox and Gamecube.
Again they have different games, (a few DC games but new ones too)
Why?

First, people reckoned that Sega were releasing kiddie games on the cube and more serious games on the Xbox.
That seemed like a good theory but look closer and you'll see it goes deeper.

The Sonic team (Yugi Naka) seems to be concentrating on the Gamecube. They've said that the Gamecube is their favourite piece of software.
With games like Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star and Mnkey Ball already on their way to the cube, this seems to back my theory.

Then there's another part of Sega. AM2.
There's another famous man in charge (Mr Suzuki i think his name is.) He brought games like Virtua Fighter and Sega Rally to the Dreamcast.
He seems to be more interested in the Xbox.

So there's the Sonic team
(Behind the fun games like Nights, Burning Rangers, and the Sonic games)

And there's others like Am2.
More serious games like Virtua Fighter and the realistic racing games.

It's clear that both looked for different qualities in a console.
Mr Suzuki is clearly in awe of Microsofts flight simulators and the physics and programming involved.

Mr Naka obviously likes Miyamoto's inventions like Mario and Zelda.

Miyamoto has also said that he like Naka's works (the chance of these two joining up is both likely and brilliant. Hand it to Sniper - he saw this comming 6 months ago!!)

Mr Suzuki may well team up with Bill Gates to make a technological master piece on the most powerful system on the planet.

The Xbox may get ports of gaming like Sonic Adventure and the Gamecube might get one or two releases from AM2 but I think it's clear where each teams priorities lie.
Mon 03/09/01 at 09:44
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
wow suziki are into games now , i always thought they made motor bikes !!
Sun 02/09/01 at 22:02
Regular
Slightly flawed there Logan.
Nintendo aren't likely to have the best online facitlities.
And at the same time, Nintendo have shown with the new Zelda how well the Gamecube can do cell shading so that's not Sega's excuse for choosing to put Jet Set Radio on the Xbox.

It's obvious that Sonic team is behind Nintendo (they've said it many times)
And that Suzuki is behind the Xbox.

I'd still like you to tell me which team was responsible for Monkey Ball.

If it's the Sonic Team then my point is completely proved!
Sun 02/09/01 at 21:56
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Quite probably. This is good in some ways as it will bring out the
> best in both the GC and X-box. It is bad in that you will have to
> have both to get the full impact of Sega. I am not surprised that
> the Ps2 is not that well supported by Sega, they are just making
> money out of it as easily as possible. Who can blame them, Sony were
> the people who put the nails into Sega's coffin slowly but surely.
> And now Sega's ghost is coming back to haunt them. Go Sega, Go!

On the contrary, Sega is simply spreading itself over the market. Not only that, but they are targetting certain games at certain audiences.

For example, Jet Set Radio Future. The creator wants millions of polygons.... so many that only the Xbox can do it.

SonicTeam meanwhile is concentrating on Online plans (for PSO)... something they think ninty will be best at. So they're going there.

Sony ARE getting some smashing games... Shenmue 2 is rumoured... seeing as the Ps2 is the perfect market for the game.

Oh, and to answer the question... I will probably get a GC, not because SonicTeam are on board (after all, I'd love to have Jet Set Future!), but because the overall quality of games suites my taste! IF SonicTeam said they were to release NiGHTS 2 on another console, then I would change my mind instantly! BEST. GAME. EVER. (well, in my eyes!)
Sun 02/09/01 at 16:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Quite probably. This is good in some ways as it will bring out the best in both the GC and X-box. It is bad in that you will have to have both to get the full impact of Sega. I am not surprised that the Ps2 is not that well supported by Sega, they are just making money out of it as easily as possible. Who can blame them, Sony were the people who put the nails into Sega's coffin slowly but surely. And now Sega's ghost is coming back to haunt them. Go Sega, Go!
Sat 01/09/01 at 20:47
Regular
You'll be following the sonic team, won't you Logan.
Sat 01/09/01 at 15:38
well, you've got to think about it a different way.

In the original article, the poster pointed out that there are different parts to Sega (eg, AM2 and SonicTeam).

In fact, Sega has 10 (or is that 9?) different departments that all used to be called AM# or R&D#. Sega has since made all of these independant (but all still owned by Sega), and each has picked a new name (except AM2 who have no imagination!)

Anyway, each department is the size of a whole development company (so basically, Sega is 10 game developers in 1), and each of these has the choice of which market to target, which games to make, and which console to release them on.

Hence it's better to compare Sega releases by department than just "Sega"... if that makes any sense.
Sat 01/09/01 at 14:36
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
i no this aint got much to do with what your talking about, but its to do with sega.
does ne1 else think that sega should bring out a new gamegear.earlier this year someone gave me a gamegear.it had some good games.but it had stuff that was so much better than the gameboy.tv adaptor that you put in the gameslot, and turned the gamegear into a portable tv.it also had a screen that you could see clearly and easily in the dark, and o yeah it was colour.but it was beaten by the gameboy.then the gameboy colour came out,and everyone was soo excited that there was clour,something that sega gave us years earlier.i think if sega made an advanced gamegear, it could be a lot better than the gameboy.
Sat 01/09/01 at 14:19
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> On of the main reasons i'm getting a Xbox is because of the strong
> support by Sega. I heard the Shenmue series is comming to the Xbox
> too.

You'll only get half of Sega though.
What you've got to decide is which half of Sega you want the most.

Sonic or Shenmue?
Monkey Ball or Sega Rally?

I've chosen the former.
Fm has chosen the latter.

If think that Dan2K1 and SonicRAv (I think I should be calling him Logan now) will also split paths.

Logan being a Sonic team follower and Dan2K1 following the more realistic side of Sega.

I think that another reason for this split is to make gamer a apreciate the large diversity of games they got from Sega on the Dreamcast.
It would give people more incentive to buy the next Sega machine.

And if Sega have made friends with Nintendo and Microsoft then godness knows what games would come on this new machine.
(That part was for those of you who remember YH's post about Sega planning a 1024bit machine...)
Sat 01/09/01 at 14:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I saw the Sega GT 2002 demo for the X-Box the other day, it's done with music from The Matrix (the scene where Neo and Trinity enter the Agents' HQ and start shooting the place up).

I have to say that it simply looks awesome, GT3 is paled in comparison, and this is only a technical demo, not final release issue. I remember thinking when I saw the PS2 screenshots of GT3 that they looked lifelike, but having studied the XBox demo I'm still trying to work out if I'm watching real video footage in some places or whether it's computer animation.
Sat 01/09/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
On of the main reasons i'm getting a Xbox is because of the strong support by Sega. I heard the Shenmue series is comming to the Xbox too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.