GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The original Streets of Rage"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/06/00 at 17:01
Regular
It was beatiful.
The range of methods of attacking was one thing. Especially for it's time. The first swing of the bottle, accompanied by the sound of breaking glass. My personal favourite was getting grabbed from behind, kicking the guy in front of you to the ground and hulring the guy behind you to the floor as you came down.
The multi-player was fantastic, especially taking a cheap shot at your team mate while they were'nt expecting it, or grabbing them from behind while an enemy beat them up. Or if you prefered working together, hurling your partner into a flying kick.
And the choice of endings - revolutionary genius.
Throwing people off the lift was neat too.
I can honestly say that if a direct copy of the game came out for my N64, I'd buy it in a shot.
The series went a little downhill from then on though. Shame.
Fri 09/06/00 at 17:01
It was beatiful.
The range of methods of attacking was one thing. Especially for it's time. The first swing of the bottle, accompanied by the sound of breaking glass. My personal favourite was getting grabbed from behind, kicking the guy in front of you to the ground and hulring the guy behind you to the floor as you came down.
The multi-player was fantastic, especially taking a cheap shot at your team mate while they were'nt expecting it, or grabbing them from behind while an enemy beat them up. Or if you prefered working together, hurling your partner into a flying kick.
And the choice of endings - revolutionary genius.
Throwing people off the lift was neat too.
I can honestly say that if a direct copy of the game came out for my N64, I'd buy it in a shot.
The series went a little downhill from then on though. Shame.
Sat 10/06/00 at 17:11
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
there was a game for the nes that I had.....err I think it was called super dragon, I can't remember, but on this you only had two kicks and two punches, and a jump but this was my fav game at the time, you could throw people off trains and helicopters in that game, then came the playstation version`fighting force` this game was not loved by my mates that own ps's but I loved it and when ever I went round to their house I would switch it on when they popped off for a drink.
but yeah streets of rage was good, n* 2 was better because you could get your mate on 1 player to fire rockets or a machine guns at your enemies!! this was a special move.
Sat 10/06/00 at 17:37
Absolutely. The games like this never had the realism of their modern equivalents, and no shiney 3D graphics, but they had something far more important than that, and something sadly lacking in most of the games today.
They were really fun to play. The difficulty level wasn't always that important because you'd keep on playing even after you completed it. Nower days it seems to be that the only interest games can hold is in their challenge, and once you've beat that, there's nothing left.
A word out to the Sega/Sony/Nintendo designers (as if they'll ever see this!)-
Redo some of the old classics. Don't mess around with them too much, maybe more than 8 directions where relevent. Just run them off for the new consoles.

This is what I want (I now, I'm not actually asking them, they'll never see this):
Sensible Soccer
Streets of Rage (stick them all into the one disk/cart)
Bubble Bobble (they already did that for PS, right? I need N64!)
Sat 10/06/00 at 19:47
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
the games like the ones you mention can't be re-made, because we have been spoilt, the designers know this, if they did make all these games on one cd then they know that it would not sell, I too would also like this, but we have games that have all this but with loads of moves and loads move 3d enhanced levels to battle your way through, good point but maybe you can buy a game maker and make it yourself, games like these can't be too hard to make i'm sure.
Sat 10/06/00 at 22:03
Maybe, but it's not like 'pong 64' or something, some of the classics still keep a modern feel, and the range of moves, while keeping very simple 3 button controls, in Streets of Rage was fantastic, and while all other styles of soccer sim on the N64 have failed to go beond average in their playability, it wouldn't take a lot to give the 'Sensible Soccer' style of game a try. And I'm sure the gamers who remembered the classics the first time round would be interested in re-releases if the price was right, especially with modern programming techniques to iron out any creases. Plus, with their simplicity to make, it wouldn't take vast sales to make the venture worthwhile.
Anyway, there must be a pretty big number of more mature gamers who bought a N64 for Goldeneye, expecting more of the same, desperate for a few more titles to appeal to them, instead of endless Pokemon spin offs and the like (not that there's anything wrong with Pokemon, but it's not everyone's thing).
As for my own company... I wish. I tell you, I have some big ideas spinning around in this big old head of mine!
Mon 12/06/00 at 13:51
I don't suppose any of you have considered that fact that if you have a PC, you could be playing Streets of Rage right now!

Just grab a Sega Megadrive emulator program and the ROM image for the game and you're away! Why, I was playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo like this just the other day...
Sun 18/06/00 at 13:05
Brian from Birmingham wrote:
> It was beatiful.
> The range of methods of attacking was one thing. Especially for
> it's time. The first swing of the bottle, accompanied by the sound
> of breaking glass. My personal favourite was getting grabbed from
> behind, kicking the guy in front of you to the ground and hulring
> the guy behind you to the floor as you came down.
> The multi-player was fantastic, especially taking a cheap shot at
> your team mate while they were'nt expecting it, or grabbing them
> from behind while an enemy beat them up. Or if you prefered
> working together, hurling your partner into a flying kick.
> And the choice of endings - revolutionary genius.
> Throwing people off the lift was neat too.
> I can honestly say that if a direct copy of the game came out for
> my N64, I'd buy it in a shot.
> The series went a little downhill from then on though. Shame.

I agree, this was a brilliant game and is in definate need for a new game, but I doubt that the N64 will get it. The most likely console would be Dreamcast, for the obvious reason that it appeared on Sega's old console, and besides, the Dreamcast would make the game so much better. There could be groundbreaking graphics coupled with the Streets of Rage gameplay, and a winner would be reborn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.