GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A lament for books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 23:07
Regular
That get made into movies.
Always seems to ruin it in my eyes.
Lord of The Rings might be ok, they're taking it seriously but still...

Books allow you to put your own pictures to things, imagine how the character looks and create the worlds utilising your imagination.
But the moment it's set onto celluloid, then that's it.
That character has a face, or you didn't like the movie or it ruined the book for you.

There are hundreds of decent screenwriters out there, all struggling to come up with decent plots etc, but it's easier to gut a book and use that.
And usually to the detriment of both movie and book.

My biggest "Oh god no" is the Harry Potter movie coming soon.
I remember when that book came out and exploded all over the world.
I was so happy to see that.
Lines of people sleeping outside stores over-night for a book.
Children were excited and really happy because a book was published.
In the age of video-games and movies and other ready-made entertainment, I was so pleased to see so many kids going mental for a book.

Reminded me of when I was a kid and reading Roald Dahl etc. Fantastic Mr Fox, The Iron Giant, Aesop's Fables..so many good books.
And they do stimulate you more than a video-game or movie can, simply because it requires imagination and input.
(I'm not slamming video-games and saying they make you stupid at all, just saying a book stimulates you more by making you work at the images and situations yourself)

When my girlfriend and I were walking down to the river, we saw a kid's party. Fancy dress and it was a Harry Potter them.
The front of the house was done out with a big "Hogwarts" sign and the dad dressed like a wizard or something.
That made me smile from ear to ear that kids were taking such an interest in a book.

Sorry to sound like an old geezer moaning about the good old days, but I can't remember the last time there was a craze like this for something positive.
Usually Cabbage Patch dolls, Buzz Lightyears or other toys that will entertain but get discarded.
A book can be revisited and re-read so many times, it gives so much pleasure.

And it's proven that reading increases your vocabulary and general communication abilities.
And kids were bombing off to read these things for themselves, or have them read to them.
What a wonderful thing to see, not charging down to the toyshop and screaming for the latest toy.

They rushed to bookstores.

But now it's a movie.
Why read the book when you can see the movie?
Or buy the posters? Or the bedspreads, or the video game or the lunch-box or....you get the picture.

Something that kids found for themselves, went out and made the effort to find and discover.
But now it's been redesigned, pre-packaged and sold back to them, but not as a book.
As a "multi-media experience"

And that makes me sad.
Because for a while, I saw kids overjoyed at having a book in their hands, reading aloud to each other and creating worlds in their heads.

Now you can pay £5 and have it shoved down your throat with no effort on your part.
Thu 30/08/01 at 23:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That get made into movies.
Always seems to ruin it in my eyes.
Lord of The Rings might be ok, they're taking it seriously but still...

Books allow you to put your own pictures to things, imagine how the character looks and create the worlds utilising your imagination.
But the moment it's set onto celluloid, then that's it.
That character has a face, or you didn't like the movie or it ruined the book for you.

There are hundreds of decent screenwriters out there, all struggling to come up with decent plots etc, but it's easier to gut a book and use that.
And usually to the detriment of both movie and book.

My biggest "Oh god no" is the Harry Potter movie coming soon.
I remember when that book came out and exploded all over the world.
I was so happy to see that.
Lines of people sleeping outside stores over-night for a book.
Children were excited and really happy because a book was published.
In the age of video-games and movies and other ready-made entertainment, I was so pleased to see so many kids going mental for a book.

Reminded me of when I was a kid and reading Roald Dahl etc. Fantastic Mr Fox, The Iron Giant, Aesop's Fables..so many good books.
And they do stimulate you more than a video-game or movie can, simply because it requires imagination and input.
(I'm not slamming video-games and saying they make you stupid at all, just saying a book stimulates you more by making you work at the images and situations yourself)

When my girlfriend and I were walking down to the river, we saw a kid's party. Fancy dress and it was a Harry Potter them.
The front of the house was done out with a big "Hogwarts" sign and the dad dressed like a wizard or something.
That made me smile from ear to ear that kids were taking such an interest in a book.

Sorry to sound like an old geezer moaning about the good old days, but I can't remember the last time there was a craze like this for something positive.
Usually Cabbage Patch dolls, Buzz Lightyears or other toys that will entertain but get discarded.
A book can be revisited and re-read so many times, it gives so much pleasure.

And it's proven that reading increases your vocabulary and general communication abilities.
And kids were bombing off to read these things for themselves, or have them read to them.
What a wonderful thing to see, not charging down to the toyshop and screaming for the latest toy.

They rushed to bookstores.

But now it's a movie.
Why read the book when you can see the movie?
Or buy the posters? Or the bedspreads, or the video game or the lunch-box or....you get the picture.

Something that kids found for themselves, went out and made the effort to find and discover.
But now it's been redesigned, pre-packaged and sold back to them, but not as a book.
As a "multi-media experience"

And that makes me sad.
Because for a while, I saw kids overjoyed at having a book in their hands, reading aloud to each other and creating worlds in their heads.

Now you can pay £5 and have it shoved down your throat with no effort on your part.
Thu 30/08/01 at 23:27
Regular
"I like cheese"
I agree there...

I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but it was good to see people getting hyped over a book, rather than a movie or video game.

I loved the Philip Pullman series, and I think that would be ruined by a movie.

Animorps was a book series that I've always liked, and the TV series was very poor, and has put off many possible readers.

But as you say, most movies from books don't work. The Green Mile did, although I read the book second and it restricted my imagination a little.

Books are for the imagination. When I was young, and even now to be honest, when I go to bed I like to imagine myself in a book I've been reading...how would I cope?? That sort of thing.

Anyway, nice topic Goatboy.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Thu 30/08/01 at 23:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ant wrote:
I loved the Philip Pullman series, and I think that
> would be ruined by a movie.

Awesome series of books, the Subtle Knfe was the best.

But as you say, most movies from books don't
> work. The Green Mile did, although I read the book second and it
> restricted my imagination a little.

Although the book was brilliant and allowed for a much deeper look at the characters themselves I preferred the film because of the raw emotion it made me feel. I cryed when John was executed.
Thu 30/08/01 at 23:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Definately.

Shawshank also did a good job of adapting, but it's a very rare case where they do a good job.
Both quite long movies, it's when a book gets squeezed into a 90 min movie that I think it loses a lot of the power.
Fri 31/08/01 at 00:08
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I totally agree with you here as well, Goatboy. However, I'm always up for films. I love to see how others imagined those charachters, to see if they imagined them like I did. This is rarely the case, as it is virtually impossible to have the same imagination as somebody else.

Now, I absolutely ADORE the Harry Potter series. My sister does, my Mum, Dad, Aunty and Uncle all love them as well. My 6-7 year-old cousins do - I'm being serious. Our family simply love Harry Potter.

The book is that good. I don't know if any of you have ever read it, but I insist you do. It isn't aimed at a specific audience, you see - that's what makes it special.

I can't wait for the film, because I like to see how others imagined it. I want to see the Quidditch matches in real life (a wizarding sport), to see what they would/could look lioke if they were real. Do you see what I mean?

I believe that films are a way to see certain aspects of the book in a different way - to see them as if Harry Potter is real.

I also read The Lord Of The Rings, The Two Towers and The Return Of The king. All were fabulous, but didn't quite match that addictiveness of the Harry Potter series. Again, I cannot wait for the film to be released, so I can see exactly what Hobbits do look like, and what they look like in someone else imagination.

By the way, thanks for posting this, Goatboy. It made me let that all out. Thanks for the inspiration :D

P.S - go on, indulge yourself. Rent out a Harry Potter book. You never know, you might like it. But then again, you might not - how will you know if you don't try, eh?

Thanks, Shocktrooper.
Fri 31/08/01 at 08:10
Regular
"not dead"
Back to LOTR for a mo....

When I first read The Hobbit, I saw Gandalf with a green face. I never really took in the descriptions of characters, and imagined my own.

Gandalf wasn't even human in my eyes, and that was cool.

When I saw the cartoon version of LOTR he was as described in the book, human guy, big white beard, but it wasn't my image, it was wrong.

On to The Green Mile, I read the book first, thought it was fantastic, and felt the movie conveyed this perfectly.

But I saw Trainspotting before I read it. After reading the book I feel very disappointed by the movie, it could have been so much more, the characters were just so much dirtier in the book, really horrible people, not pop culture heroes at all.

I've never read Harry Potter, or been drawn to it in any way - but I too thought it was great how the kids got into it. But I have no interest in seeing the movie at all.
Fri 31/08/01 at 09:48
Yes there is the point that films are a poor subsituite for books. They are not as demanding of the viewer as books are to the reader but then films can inspire people to go and read. I've never seen any stats on the subject but I suspect that book sales may grow once the film has been released hence the book tie ins. Most notable recent ones being Captain Correllis Mandolin and Brigit Jones Diary which have subsequently had their covers changed to tie in with the movies.
Also as you said due to the fact that films run generally to 90 minutes it is a hard task to pack in the book. Captain Correli is a classic case. I haven't seen the film as I read the reviews and they all stated it concentrated on one aspect of the story line namely the love story. The book is far denser and richer. There is a homosexual love theme running throughout. A ton of complex political commentary on the positions of the Nationalist, Facits and Communists in Greece at the time etc, etc. Needless to say these were the storylines jettisoned to the make the film palatable to Hollywood and its percieved audiance.
Even BJD's which I'm ashamed to admit I did find funny reading was again trimmed of most of its humour in the film. Within the book her friendships are vitally important in the film they are carboard characteurs. Ditto Trainspotting which has some excellent dialogue and stream of conciousness stuff. Most notably the chapter about "the inner man" when the character dissects all the schools of psychology applied to him to rid him of his addiction by "professionals".
My personal view that writing for the screen is very different to writing for novels. The two don't make easy bedfellows. It takes a clever screen writer and a certain type of book for it to work. The problem is with lazy writers and greedy production companies. You end up with a strange hybrid e.g. Captain Corelli which doens't work on any level.
I haven't read the Harry Potter series despite everyone in my universe recommending it. The subject simply doesn't appeal. Short of being stuck on a desert Island with said tome there is no way I'm going to read it. The only other possibility is that I will see the film. It will be on at a friends house/on TV at Christmas etc, this maybe when I am finally provoked into thinking "its not bad, I may even go and buy the book".
Fri 31/08/01 at 10:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
Shocky, I've red all 4 of the Harry Potter books. Although a few of the storylines were good (Goblet of Fire was the best) the problem is that JK Rowling can't write descriptive passages properly. I find this very annoying in any book but because it occurs so often in HP, it's put me off a bit. Sure I enjoyed the books while reading them, but looking back I very much doubt I'd read them again and I almost certainly won't go and see the film.
Fri 31/08/01 at 13:08
Regular
What about TV series adapted from books? If anyone had read Gormenghast before the BBC converted it, they should agree with me that the TV series did justice to the book. Also, if someone watches the Harry Potter movie without having read the book, they might want to go out and get the other 3 books to read instead of waiting the extra year or so it will take the next book to be adapted. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy TV adaptation was pretty good as well, not to mention the Rebus shows and so on.
Fri 31/08/01 at 13:19
"High polygon count"
I can't abide reading - I just don't have the attention span for it.

Apart from Babylon 5 novels (which I've read all of), I've read exactly three books since leaving school. They were:

Erebus (a horror novel)
Addicted (Tony Adam's biography)
And a book about the history of the group Genesis.

That's it.

I can't see the point in spending weeks/months reading a book when you can get the same information (or at least the most important points of it) condensed into 90/120 minutes of a film.

Of course, not all books are made into films, so I may be missing some great stories... but I really don't care; I just have no interest whatsoever in reading them.

It's not that I can't read or don't have the imagination - I read very well, and my imagination is wilder than most - I just simply don't enjoy it, unless the subject is something I'm really, REALLY interested in. Even then, I need to be in the right mood to read it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.