GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ouch! Why?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 00:40
Regular
I did something wonderful yesterday, apparently.

I gave blood.

It was either the fourth or fifth time I've done it, and it hurt more this time than any time before.

I don't like doing it, I think it hurts the way they p***k* your finger to get a blood sample to check iron levels, I think the feeling of the needle going in is horrible, and it feels really uncomfortable the whole time it's in there. I feel really tired afterwards, and sicky.

Yet I really don't want to stop doing it.

I have one of the rarer blood types, B Negative, so less people are likely to need it. Likewise less people are likely to give it. But that's not any reason to do or not do it.

I think back to why I started doing it. it was back in early 2000, January in fact. I was unemployed and on the worst Government training scheme I could possibly imagine. They had me, a guy with 10 GCSEs 4 A Levels and A C&G in Applications Programming doing a course in basic Word and Excel. If I refused to do it I couldn't get benefits, and couldn't feed my family. I just couldn't get a job as I had the knowledge but no experience, if I went for a lesser job I was told that I wouldn't stick at it or I'd get bored.

I had zero self confidence or respect, 'New Deal' had taken it from me.

Then one day I realised that they were having a blood donar session nearby, so I just went and did it, and it did make me feel like I was doing something worthwhile, something that might save someones life. I felt I was doing a good thing.

So even though it hurts me, as much as they say it doesn't hurt, I think it does, I'll just keep on going back for a while yet. Giving blood is good, it made me feel good, and to think that it could save a life, that's worth it.

*look it's a valid use for the word!
Fri 31/08/01 at 20:26
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Drugs are dangerous. I could go out and buy some crack tomorrow if I wanted, it's the fact that I know the dangers taht stops me from doing it...
Fri 31/08/01 at 20:20
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

Nope!

But I do like the smell of certain glues and
> other dangerous things. I could so easily have gone down 'that
> path' as a kid, but fortunately my parents brought me up well enough
> to know where it would lead.

Sounds like me but I did go down that path for a while, its not good I can tell you.

I have come off that path now, its hard but it had too be done. It's fun while it lasts but it puts you in so much trouble I can't even open my arms that wide!
Fri 31/08/01 at 18:53
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Or swear to the person that pr1cks you?
Fri 31/08/01 at 18:42
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Best thing to do is turn head away and swear to yourself...

Works for me.
Fri 31/08/01 at 18:25
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
"Giving blood is good, it made me feel good, and to think that it could save a life, that's worth it."

Sounds like it should be a quote from an advert!
Fri 31/08/01 at 18:03
Regular
I had a fobia to needles. When I had just started high school I had to have a toe nail removed over 4 operations and a total of 20 injections into my big toe (it hurt like hell). But then I decided that the best way to get over it and do something worthwhile at the same time was to donate blood. Then only problem was that I ended up with a 15cm long bruse that lasted for weeks. I think that the blood donation service is probably the only part of our health service that is running properly.
Thu 30/08/01 at 23:02
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Good on yer Meka. My cousin had lukimia, he's found a marrow bone-doner. My Mum's going to signup as a doner, and one day I will. It truly makes a different. It saves someones lives. Just think, if the person thats gonna give my cousin the doner couldn't make it to the docters as his car had no petrol. It makes a big diffrence.
Thu 30/08/01 at 20:30
Regular
"You've upset me"
I *had* a phobia of needles. But then, earlier this year, I got ill. Very ill. In the 2 months that I was either at home or in hospital I had to have no less than 14 needles in me. I never watched, that would have been too much. But I did learn to accept the needle. Even though I could actually feel it in my vein I braaced myself and looked away and waited till it was done.

Even though I have kind of combatted it, I still can't stand the thought of needles in me... anywhere. When ever lying down on my front on the sofa I'll bend my knees to protect them from sudden needle strikes. Weird I know but... Even writing this my right elbow (where all the stuff was done) is giving me a goodly amount of sympathy pain...
Thu 30/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I wanted to give blood (my dad's done it over 50 times) but they wouldn't take it from me - I have muscular dystrophy and they said it'd weaken me too much afterwards. I offered to sign a consent form but they still said no.
Thu 30/08/01 at 16:06
I've never been bothered by the needles, but I know what you mean about feeling light headed afterwards. The people there are great though, they treat you well. Unlike hospitals.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.