GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD on GC"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/08/01 at 23:21
Regular
So the gamecube plays game disks slightly smaller than dvds to stop piracy, and the gc, on first release, won't have dvd capability.

But there will be an add-on to allow dvds, and a dvd-playing machine will become available eventually. Is that right? I'm not certain, it's the impression i get, but it's all very vague.

And there'll be a third party dvd player that also plays gc games? Interesting...

So what region dvds will the uk gc play? All? Will it need codes?

And for that matter, what about imported games? Is there global compatability with games, as rumoured, will it need an add-on?

Backwards compatability?

Why exactly do ninty (and microsoft for that matter) spout about making consoles dedicated more to gaming than the multimedia, releasing consoles which initially won't play dvds, and then give them dvd playing add-ons that give the machines the same range of multimedia capabilities as their ps2-shaped competitor?
Do they expect us to swallow that, when the real advantages - bigger attraction + lower prices for people who already have dvds combined with the lure of games console and dvd player for those who don't - are so blatant?
So why bother lying about it?

Big questions, some with answers (though i don't know them), others... time will tell.
Still, however you look at it, it's a good time to be a nintendo loyal, or a prospective floating buyer.

It's good to be back.
Wed 29/08/01 at 23:21
Regular
So the gamecube plays game disks slightly smaller than dvds to stop piracy, and the gc, on first release, won't have dvd capability.

But there will be an add-on to allow dvds, and a dvd-playing machine will become available eventually. Is that right? I'm not certain, it's the impression i get, but it's all very vague.

And there'll be a third party dvd player that also plays gc games? Interesting...

So what region dvds will the uk gc play? All? Will it need codes?

And for that matter, what about imported games? Is there global compatability with games, as rumoured, will it need an add-on?

Backwards compatability?

Why exactly do ninty (and microsoft for that matter) spout about making consoles dedicated more to gaming than the multimedia, releasing consoles which initially won't play dvds, and then give them dvd playing add-ons that give the machines the same range of multimedia capabilities as their ps2-shaped competitor?
Do they expect us to swallow that, when the real advantages - bigger attraction + lower prices for people who already have dvds combined with the lure of games console and dvd player for those who don't - are so blatant?
So why bother lying about it?

Big questions, some with answers (though i don't know them), others... time will tell.
Still, however you look at it, it's a good time to be a nintendo loyal, or a prospective floating buyer.

It's good to be back.
Wed 29/08/01 at 23:24
Regular
Theres the Panasonic gamecube that plays DVDs and that probably won't be released in this country. Otherwise I haven't heard anything about an addon for the normal Gamecube.
Wed 29/08/01 at 23:31
Regular
nintendo are releasing a Games only console. As far as i know there will be no extra add ons for DVD playback.

As said below panasonic are making a version of the Gamecue which plays DVDs at a retail price similar of the PS2. So you have choice really, pay for a games machine or pay for a entertainment system. Its your choice.

I dont think the Panasonic Gamecube will be released in the UK though.
Thu 30/08/01 at 08:02
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
even if there was a dvd add on for the normal gamecube , it would cost a bomb , like PS2's extra hard drive which is like £100+ , so if there was one then it would cost £150+ if it was gonna be a good piece of kit that plays the movies well , to rival the PS2 dvd.
Thu 30/08/01 at 08:50
Regular
"DS..."
what is the point in having a DVD addon for your cube? also what is the point in buying a DVD gamecube? i mean lets face it, they may play DVD's but they are both gonna look ugly, and the colours won't match! so my advice is if youve got a black TV and a black VCR, like me, then why not buy or wait for a black gamecube to come out, then you can decide when or if you wan't to get a DVD player, because the majority of DVD players are black and only about £100, do you get my point?
slik ~_~
Thu 30/08/01 at 08:58
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i read on nintendo.com . that in america they are releasing purple and black machines at launch and then the other colors will follow afterwards. so this will probably be the same for us.
Thu 30/08/01 at 09:00
Regular
"DS..."
Here's hoping!
slik ~_~
Sat 06/03/10 at 18:50
"AnimaSana Forum"
Imagine this: you have got your new baby. And you haven't slept in days. Heck, you often can't even go to the loo when he or she starts screaming their heads off to the point when they almost get blue in the face. You need to feed your baby, change the nappies... and constantly worry that you're not doing things right.
Or, you might be a new daddy. The tiny little bundle of love looks so tiny and fragile that you're really worried you're going to hurt her or him, if you pick them up. Perhaps you should leave it to their mum until they grow up a bit and get stronger? Well, you don't have to.
Baby Reflex™ offers an excellent way of helping your baby get over its tummy pains, teething problems and night screams. It may be a way of helping you get some more sleep and bonding with your baby better. And when your baby turns to a toddler (that's when he or she can stand on its little feet), you can come for a Toddler Reflex™ course. Interested? Of course you are. So let me explain a little more about it.

What is Baby Reflex™ and what is Toddler Reflex™, you ask.
Simply put, it is all about teaching mums and/or dads a specific reflexology technique that you can use on your baby's feet. Toddler reflex is the same thing, only taught a bit different as you can involve your toddler to cooperate and even do the reflexology on you or his/her teddy bear. Toddler Reflex is done mostly on hands as we all know that they won't sit still for longer than a few seconds.

How does it work?
It calms your baby or toddler down, helps with tummy problems (feeding and digesting) and teething. You can use it to help with snuffly noses, coughs and chest problems and even as a first aid when the bee stings, or jelly fish burns.. or even nettles.

How do I learn it?
On a Baby Reflex™ or Toddler Reflex™ course, of course (or both). We teach you what you need to do.

How long does the course last?
Three sessions, one seesion a week. So, three weeks. The session lasts about 1 hour.

Is it difficult to learn?
Not at all, it's very pleasant.

How many people per course?
We do groups of max. 6 mums or dads, one-to-one sessions, home sessions (you can ask your friends to come too, if you think they may be interested).

If you need to read more about it, please visit the Baby Reflex™ site . We will put more information on our site very soon, so watch this place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.