GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turn off Google Stars - Google's new SearchWiki"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/03/10 at 18:04
"Are you sure?"
Has anyone else noticed that Google have just introduced a new 'Star' system - Google Stars to their search results?

Google had previously attempted to introduce a SearchWiki option - so you could comment on your search results (if you were logged in to your Google account).

I didn't use the Google SearchWiki option so turned it off in my Google Search preferences:

Hide the ability to share, promote, remove, comment, or add your own results.

Google have just abandoned SearchWiki and have now added a new Star system where you can click the Star within your own personal SERPS (Search Engine Result PageS).

I've already checked the option in my preferences to remove SearchWiki, has anyone figured out how to remove Google's new Stars?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 08/04/11 at 08:42
"Are you sure?"
Hi wildcatherder and welcome to the Freeola Forum!

This is quite an old thread you've woken up...
Things have moved on a bit since I wrote it. Google 'Stars' which replaced Google SearchWiki seems to have gone for me replaced by the Preview 'magnifying glass'.

I'm guessing you're still seeing it if you use Google Bookmarks which isn't something I use.

But I agree with you - I wish Google would include an option (Off Switch) when they bring out their new stuff!

Google still haven't given up on the Stars/Wiki evolution though as it looks like Google +1 is it's next attempt.

I really love Google but it seems like they sometimes forget that many users like things as they are :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s] @twitter
Thu 07/04/11 at 23:48
Regular
I hate STARS so much. Every time I get the interface down to almost pure text (which I read at 1200 wpm) Google pushes some new distracting feature onto the screen. There has GOT to be a way to disable this feature. It is of NO use to me. The fact that something is in my Bookmarks has NO bearing on its usefulness for my current search. Am I going to say, oh, that's a bookmark - Let's close this page and open the bookmark instead. NO WAY. I don't mind new features as long as they come with an OFF SWITCH.
Wed 24/03/10 at 17:54
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> As LukeM mentions, I believe there are Firefox extensions - but
> not much good for IE users ;¬)

You can grease up IE with gm4ie.
Wed 24/03/10 at 12:09
"Are you sure?"
As LukeM mentions, I believe there are Firefox extensions - but not much good for IE users ;¬)

Matt Cutts (Google) blogged about Google's new 'stars', I posted a question there asking how to turn them off - but there's no response.

H March 14, 2010 at 10:36 am
Re. Google ‘Stars’ – For those of us that like their Google ‘clean’, how do you turn OFF Google Stars? I already have SearchWiki ‘hidden’ in my Search settings but this doesn’t work with Google’s SearchWiki replacement!?!

I've just tried a 'Twitter mention' to see if that gets an answer :¬)

The only way I've found so far to remove the 'stars' is by logging out of Google - but I like being logged in for my other Google services!

[s]Hmmm...[/s] @twitter
Wed 24/03/10 at 11:47
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Dograt wrote:
> Did anybody work out how to turn off the star results?
> I dint like them at all and they are p**ing me off.
>
> Any ideas?

There is probably a Greasemonkey script for that. Install the Greasemonkey plugin for Firefox and check out userscripts.org.

That's the best I can suggest at the moment.
Tue 23/03/10 at 21:17
Regular
Did anybody work out how to turn off the star results?
I dint like them at all and they are p**ing me off.

Any ideas?
Fri 05/03/10 at 14:30
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Not sure that asking if anyone knows how to do it constitutes that the entire post is based on that issue.......

My point was there are bound to be more helpful sources based on that "search string", as your post wasn't specifically about it.

Specsavers? Forum-post-reading-and-non-presumptious-savers more like.... ;)
Fri 05/03/10 at 14:17
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> Which is weird because it doesn't have anything to do with how to
> turn off the stars :D

...specsavers!
From my first post:
I've already checked the option in my preferences to remove SearchWiki, has anyone figured out how to remove Google's new Stars?

Warhunt wrote:
> Interesting thing though. Do you use the system at all?

I didn't use/like SearchWiki because it manipulated the organic results for the signed in user. As I do a bit of SEO work I like to see normal search results.

Google's new Star system is a simplified version of what was there - but it doesn't mess about with the results so much.
But it's not something I see myself using TBH.

It's Google's attempt at replacing/bettering browser bookmarks/favourites - could be useful for some people.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 05/03/10 at 13:06
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Which is weird because it doesn't have anything to do with how to turn off the stars :D

Interesting thing though. Do you use the system at all?
Thu 04/03/10 at 18:35
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Really like the 'updated' avatar Hmmm - impressive:-)

Thanks DL - I was waiting for you to comment! ;¬)

NB. This thread on the new Google Stars (perfectly worded/formed by me!) is currently 1st out of 110,000,000 for a search on Google for turn off google stars

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.