GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 10 Horror Films"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/08/01 at 18:28
Regular
Why do we watch horror films, what is it about them that makes them so entertaining. If you tried to describe to someone who had never seen one a film like Scream then they would think you where going mental. I don’t know there’s just something about being scared that makes it all the more entertaining and don’t ask me why but its really enjoyable watching people dieing(in films). Anyway this is my list of the 10 horror films that I think really stand out,

10.Friday the 13th (1980) directed by Sean S Cunningham
An entertaining if not slightly over the top film, when this was released it was slated for being a being a complete rip off of Halloween. You know the story im sure, group of teenagers go to work at a summer camp, predictably mad killer comes along begins knocking them off one by one. However poorly scripted and predictable this film is, it doesn’t fail to have enough tension and gory deaths to keep you watching. If that isn’t enough then there’s a classic death scene with Kevin Bacon, skewer through the neck, complete with stretchy skin and gallons off bloody ewwww (“that was for river wild ya bsterd”).

9.The Thing (1982) directed by John Carpenter
John Carpenters adaption of John W Campbell’s book “Who goes there” is a terrifying story of suspense and paranoia. This fast moving Horror classic tells the story of an Arctic research team who are terrorized by a gruesome alien. Not the most original of stories but this film delivers some of the most disgusting special effects ever seen on film. A classic moment is when someone’s head falls off and grows spider like legs, then walks across the room. A very weird disturbing film, but if you can ignore Kurt Russell then its not quite so disturbing.

8.The Candyman (1992) Directed by Bernard Rose
Clive (Hell raiser) Barkers story inspired this original turn on the usual hacker genre. A lady (Virginia Madsen) researching into Urban Legends uncovers a killer who proves to be very real, say his name five times in a mirror and well you know the story. The film is one of the only intelligent films in the genre , it builds up the tension and has enough grim deaths to delight the gore fans out there.Overall a very good film, one of the few modern horror classics.

7.The Shining (1980) Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Supposedly the scariest film ever made, well I wouldn’t go that far but its still a classic. Jack Nicholson stars as a father who is looking after a hotel in the winter with his family, the hotel begins to send him crazy with all its supernatural goings on. The stupid thing about this film is that all the hotel is lit up really well, but somehow Kubrick makes it terrifyingly scary. The moment in the film that scared the hell out of me was the two little girls “we want to play with you forever and ever” ahhhhhh of course you have no idea what im talking about if you haven’t seen it. Definitely worth a watch, don’t I repeat don’t watch it for the first time on your own.

6.The Evil Dead (1983) Directed by Sam Raimi
Sam Raimis first feature film, turned out to be one of my favourite Zombie films. An evil force is out to destroy four friends on holiday in some woods (predictable as usual). The story brilliantly manages to balance jokes with some of the scariest, grossest moments in horror history. Lack of characterisation and plot don’t matter (like most horror films really) the atmosphere in this film is terrifying, the way its shot almost gives a feeling of claustrophobia. Not for the faint hearted trust me on that one.

5.Hellraiser (1987) Directed by Clive Barker
One of the most horrific, disturbing but intelligent horror films your ever likely to see. The story revolves around an ancient Chinese puzzle box that when solved opens up a world of cruelty and sadism. Barkers debut as a director really creates an atmosphere of dread, with plenty of horrific visual set pieces, the film does well not just to rely on shock tactics, creating lots of suspense as the film goes on. I’ve found that the Hellraisers are one of the only Horror series that’s managed to stay credible throughout the whole trilogy (I don’t count 4 cause that’s some space drivel). But be warned they are not for the faint hearted.

4.Scream (1996) Directed by Wes Craven
The only recent Horror that’s been anything other than awful, its a brilliantly clever film telling the story of Sydney (Neve Campbell) who after losing her mother, is tormented by a masked killer who may be one of her friends. Not the most original of storylines but this film functions as both a serious slasher film but also a witty self referential satire. Also it has one of the best young casts to be seen in a Horror film. One of the best scenes is the opening about 11 minutes with Drew Barrymore, it builds the suspense up brilliantly. If you haven’t already seen this film then I suggest you hop down the video shop and rent a copy, even if you don’t like horror films this film should appeal to you anyway. What’s more its got an appearance from Fonzie(Henry Winkler) out of happy days and yep he does get killed WAHOO!

3.The Exorcist (1973) William Friedkin
Well I don’t think this film needs any introduction really, but if you don’t know the story then heres the short version, girl plays with Ouiji board, girl gets possessed by demon, priests try to exorcise demon. From what I have just written you would think this would be a boring film, but you would be far from the truth. Banned for years for its apparently too graphic scenes of ummm possession, this was re-released a few years back, what was supposed to be the most disturbing ever got quite a mixed reaction from cinema goers. I know when I went to see it scenes with a crucifix which you would think would be pretty nasty, actually made people burst out in fits of laughter, shows how much people have changed in a few years. But anyway despite this the film cannot help to entertain with its scenes of green projectile vomiting and levitation, this is one experience that you won’t forget.

Classic line: “Your mothers sucking (you know the rest)”

2.Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Directed by Wes Craven

Cravens first stand out horror film, took the slasher film a step further into the realms of fantasy, where your nightmares can literally mean the death of you. An absolute Horror classic of its time, it still today is one of the scariest films you’re likely too see. With a well-written script and a good young cast this film is definitely one of the best. One of the standout scenes in the film involves Johnny Depp and a whole lot of blood but if you haven’t seen it (how the hell have you not seen it) then I don’t want to spoil it for you.

1.Halloween (1978) Directed by John Carpenter
In my mind without a doubt the best horror film ever created if your looking for scares then look no further than Michael Myers. Halloween was the Horror debut for scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis, it was probably the only credible horror film she was actually in(unless you liked the fog). Such a basic idea pulled off so well, mad killer escapes from mental institute, goes home to find his sister to kill her (not exactly Shakespeare but anyway). This film was one of the first of its kind and still is the best, it doesn’t rely on gore like a lot of films that have copied it (Friday the 13th, prom night to name a few) its all about suspense. If this doesn’t have you on the edge of your seat then I don’t know what will. The cold heartless figure that is Michael Myers just sends a chill down your spine. One of the best shots is when Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) has knocked Michael too the floor, now as this was one of the first of its kind it just looked like the film was over, but in the background you see Michael slowly sit up casually AHHHHHHHH. A lot of people won’t appreciate this film for what it is because there’s not much gore, but I think it’s the best horror film ever made.

Well there you have it that my favourite horror films and if you actually read it all then I salute you.

What are all your favourite horror films?
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:28
Regular
Why do we watch horror films, what is it about them that makes them so entertaining. If you tried to describe to someone who had never seen one a film like Scream then they would think you where going mental. I don’t know there’s just something about being scared that makes it all the more entertaining and don’t ask me why but its really enjoyable watching people dieing(in films). Anyway this is my list of the 10 horror films that I think really stand out,

10.Friday the 13th (1980) directed by Sean S Cunningham
An entertaining if not slightly over the top film, when this was released it was slated for being a being a complete rip off of Halloween. You know the story im sure, group of teenagers go to work at a summer camp, predictably mad killer comes along begins knocking them off one by one. However poorly scripted and predictable this film is, it doesn’t fail to have enough tension and gory deaths to keep you watching. If that isn’t enough then there’s a classic death scene with Kevin Bacon, skewer through the neck, complete with stretchy skin and gallons off bloody ewwww (“that was for river wild ya bsterd”).

9.The Thing (1982) directed by John Carpenter
John Carpenters adaption of John W Campbell’s book “Who goes there” is a terrifying story of suspense and paranoia. This fast moving Horror classic tells the story of an Arctic research team who are terrorized by a gruesome alien. Not the most original of stories but this film delivers some of the most disgusting special effects ever seen on film. A classic moment is when someone’s head falls off and grows spider like legs, then walks across the room. A very weird disturbing film, but if you can ignore Kurt Russell then its not quite so disturbing.

8.The Candyman (1992) Directed by Bernard Rose
Clive (Hell raiser) Barkers story inspired this original turn on the usual hacker genre. A lady (Virginia Madsen) researching into Urban Legends uncovers a killer who proves to be very real, say his name five times in a mirror and well you know the story. The film is one of the only intelligent films in the genre , it builds up the tension and has enough grim deaths to delight the gore fans out there.Overall a very good film, one of the few modern horror classics.

7.The Shining (1980) Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Supposedly the scariest film ever made, well I wouldn’t go that far but its still a classic. Jack Nicholson stars as a father who is looking after a hotel in the winter with his family, the hotel begins to send him crazy with all its supernatural goings on. The stupid thing about this film is that all the hotel is lit up really well, but somehow Kubrick makes it terrifyingly scary. The moment in the film that scared the hell out of me was the two little girls “we want to play with you forever and ever” ahhhhhh of course you have no idea what im talking about if you haven’t seen it. Definitely worth a watch, don’t I repeat don’t watch it for the first time on your own.

6.The Evil Dead (1983) Directed by Sam Raimi
Sam Raimis first feature film, turned out to be one of my favourite Zombie films. An evil force is out to destroy four friends on holiday in some woods (predictable as usual). The story brilliantly manages to balance jokes with some of the scariest, grossest moments in horror history. Lack of characterisation and plot don’t matter (like most horror films really) the atmosphere in this film is terrifying, the way its shot almost gives a feeling of claustrophobia. Not for the faint hearted trust me on that one.

5.Hellraiser (1987) Directed by Clive Barker
One of the most horrific, disturbing but intelligent horror films your ever likely to see. The story revolves around an ancient Chinese puzzle box that when solved opens up a world of cruelty and sadism. Barkers debut as a director really creates an atmosphere of dread, with plenty of horrific visual set pieces, the film does well not just to rely on shock tactics, creating lots of suspense as the film goes on. I’ve found that the Hellraisers are one of the only Horror series that’s managed to stay credible throughout the whole trilogy (I don’t count 4 cause that’s some space drivel). But be warned they are not for the faint hearted.

4.Scream (1996) Directed by Wes Craven
The only recent Horror that’s been anything other than awful, its a brilliantly clever film telling the story of Sydney (Neve Campbell) who after losing her mother, is tormented by a masked killer who may be one of her friends. Not the most original of storylines but this film functions as both a serious slasher film but also a witty self referential satire. Also it has one of the best young casts to be seen in a Horror film. One of the best scenes is the opening about 11 minutes with Drew Barrymore, it builds the suspense up brilliantly. If you haven’t already seen this film then I suggest you hop down the video shop and rent a copy, even if you don’t like horror films this film should appeal to you anyway. What’s more its got an appearance from Fonzie(Henry Winkler) out of happy days and yep he does get killed WAHOO!

3.The Exorcist (1973) William Friedkin
Well I don’t think this film needs any introduction really, but if you don’t know the story then heres the short version, girl plays with Ouiji board, girl gets possessed by demon, priests try to exorcise demon. From what I have just written you would think this would be a boring film, but you would be far from the truth. Banned for years for its apparently too graphic scenes of ummm possession, this was re-released a few years back, what was supposed to be the most disturbing ever got quite a mixed reaction from cinema goers. I know when I went to see it scenes with a crucifix which you would think would be pretty nasty, actually made people burst out in fits of laughter, shows how much people have changed in a few years. But anyway despite this the film cannot help to entertain with its scenes of green projectile vomiting and levitation, this is one experience that you won’t forget.

Classic line: “Your mothers sucking (you know the rest)”

2.Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Directed by Wes Craven

Cravens first stand out horror film, took the slasher film a step further into the realms of fantasy, where your nightmares can literally mean the death of you. An absolute Horror classic of its time, it still today is one of the scariest films you’re likely too see. With a well-written script and a good young cast this film is definitely one of the best. One of the standout scenes in the film involves Johnny Depp and a whole lot of blood but if you haven’t seen it (how the hell have you not seen it) then I don’t want to spoil it for you.

1.Halloween (1978) Directed by John Carpenter
In my mind without a doubt the best horror film ever created if your looking for scares then look no further than Michael Myers. Halloween was the Horror debut for scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis, it was probably the only credible horror film she was actually in(unless you liked the fog). Such a basic idea pulled off so well, mad killer escapes from mental institute, goes home to find his sister to kill her (not exactly Shakespeare but anyway). This film was one of the first of its kind and still is the best, it doesn’t rely on gore like a lot of films that have copied it (Friday the 13th, prom night to name a few) its all about suspense. If this doesn’t have you on the edge of your seat then I don’t know what will. The cold heartless figure that is Michael Myers just sends a chill down your spine. One of the best shots is when Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) has knocked Michael too the floor, now as this was one of the first of its kind it just looked like the film was over, but in the background you see Michael slowly sit up casually AHHHHHHHH. A lot of people won’t appreciate this film for what it is because there’s not much gore, but I think it’s the best horror film ever made.

Well there you have it that my favourite horror films and if you actually read it all then I salute you.

What are all your favourite horror films?
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:38
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
You missed the Japanese horror films Ring and Ring 2... damn damn scary films. Pant-wettingly so. Oh and you missed The Witches, that Roald Dahl film of the book. Jeez that was so scary... hehe.
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
10)The Little Mermaid

9) Mulan

8) Charlotte's Web

7) A Little Princess

6) Toy Story

5) Beauty and the Beast

4) The Secret Garden

3) Alladin

2) Pinochio (that really did scare me - MONSTRO!!!)

1) Bambie

:)
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:47
Regular
Your jokes are as predictable as the story in most horror films!
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:51
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Bambi scared the hell out of me. I hope you realise you've opened a whole can of physcological worms by mentioning its name in a public arena...

That was one twisted Top 10, what kind of warped guy are you Vottanator. I mean if you watched tha lot back to back you could induce paralysis. Thank god you didn't mention that film that should not be mentioned.
Wed 29/08/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Deep Rising was the best film I've ever seen!

Aha, that wasn't predictable at all now was it.

Mwahahahahahaha!

And anyway, Pinochio was serious.
Wed 29/08/01 at 19:09
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
misterhappy wrote:
That was one twisted Top 10, what kind of warped guy are
> you Vottanator. I mean if you watched tha lot back to back you could
> induce paralysis. Thank god you didn't mention that film that should
> not be mentioned.

Oh you mean Bean: The Movie. I braved it you know, but.......I couldn't take it. I tried and I failed. I needed counciling after that one. 3 weeks without sleep.

Wed 29/08/01 at 19:16
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Oh you mean
> Bean: The Movie. I braved it you know, but.......I couldn't take it.
> I tried and I failed. I needed counciling after that one. 3 weeks
> without sleep.

I take it you couldn't sleep because you kept thinking of those funny moments. Each one reigniting a chuckling that kept you awake until the scientists made you forget everything about it...

But no, bean was nothing compared to the film that cannot be mentioned. The film of which I speak is so scary its very name can make grown men weep and soil themselves.
Wed 29/08/01 at 19:18
Regular
You guys are so funny ha ha ha ha ha!
Wed 29/08/01 at 19:19
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Hmmmmmm....I know. 'The soiling party'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.