GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Contract J.A.C.K"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Contract J.A.C.K.'.
Sat 06/12/03 at 17:52
Regular
Contract J.A.C.K is, aparantly, the prequel to Gamespot's 2002's Game Of The Year, NOLF2.

Although I am possibly one of the biggest No One Lives Forever out there, on playing this expansion pack, you have to wonder what was going on in the Monolith developers minds. Somehow, they managed to turn a stealthy action/adventure game into Doom; mindless, brainless shooting of hoardes of enemies is what Contract Jack involves. And really, that is ALL it involves. John Jack is one of the most soul less and boring characters you've ever seen, and Cate Archer is completely missing.

Anyway, I didn't really buy this for the single player (I knew it wasn't great from the reviews), I bought it primarily for the multiplayer, which was very strong in NOLF2. Again, this isn't great. They've lifted quite a few of the NOLF2 maps, rejigged them a bit, added some new sound effects and one or two guns and a new skin or two. There are one or two new maps, but they aren't that great anyway. There aren't many players online either, and the servers which are busy with people are unnaccesible as they're the flippin' demo servers.

Anyhoo, I can't be too harsh on it as I haven't completed it nor have I worked my way completely through the multiplayer mode, but overall it seems a bit of a let down. And at £20 (the same price I also found Max Payne 2 for brand new), I feel a bit short changed. I just hope this was a test by Monolith, and if there is a NOLF3, I would hope they would revert back.
Wed 10/12/03 at 17:45
"just a little b*gge"
Looks dodgy so I didn't bother to try (still aint)
Sun 07/12/03 at 13:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I love NOLF and NOLF 2, which is why it pains me to here that the developers have lost their way with Contract JACK. I can understand why they would want to appeal to a wider audience, the NOLF games have always been criminally underrated, but by removing that which made the original two games a hit will only upset the existing fans while not really winning any new ones over.

I really don't hold out much hope for NOLF 3, to me it seemed like contract JACK was an attempt to try and gain enough new fans to warrant there being another sequel, but in all honesty I think not making a third game after this disastrous expansion is probably for the best.
Sat 06/12/03 at 18:38
Regular
You should buy them. NOLF 1's on budget and NOLF 2 is quite cheap, and they're both top class games.
Sat 06/12/03 at 18:32
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
PCGamer didn't like it. I palyed the NOLF 1 and 2 demo's and thought they were great. Infact, I don't know why I didn't buy it.
Sat 06/12/03 at 17:52
Regular
Contract J.A.C.K is, aparantly, the prequel to Gamespot's 2002's Game Of The Year, NOLF2.

Although I am possibly one of the biggest No One Lives Forever out there, on playing this expansion pack, you have to wonder what was going on in the Monolith developers minds. Somehow, they managed to turn a stealthy action/adventure game into Doom; mindless, brainless shooting of hoardes of enemies is what Contract Jack involves. And really, that is ALL it involves. John Jack is one of the most soul less and boring characters you've ever seen, and Cate Archer is completely missing.

Anyway, I didn't really buy this for the single player (I knew it wasn't great from the reviews), I bought it primarily for the multiplayer, which was very strong in NOLF2. Again, this isn't great. They've lifted quite a few of the NOLF2 maps, rejigged them a bit, added some new sound effects and one or two guns and a new skin or two. There are one or two new maps, but they aren't that great anyway. There aren't many players online either, and the servers which are busy with people are unnaccesible as they're the flippin' demo servers.

Anyhoo, I can't be too harsh on it as I haven't completed it nor have I worked my way completely through the multiplayer mode, but overall it seems a bit of a let down. And at £20 (the same price I also found Max Payne 2 for brand new), I feel a bit short changed. I just hope this was a test by Monolith, and if there is a NOLF3, I would hope they would revert back.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.