GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom3 trailer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Tue 09/12/03 at 09:52
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
New Hi-res trialer available on fileplanet.

http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=123889

162Mb, but *drool*
Tue 16/12/03 at 16:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bonus wrote:
> Doom 3 looks sweet, and I wish I was able to write game software that
> looked anywhere near that good,

So do all us codies.
Tue 16/12/03 at 16:06
Regular
I don't have a PC which can play those, and I'm jealous of people who do :D

Doom 3 looks sweet, and I wish I was able to write game software that looked anywhere near that good, i'm stuck writing terrain generators and fixed-pipeline code in D3D9, someday I'll get to write games which look half decent :D
Tue 16/12/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yes you will need a decent system to play it at 1600x1200 but most will do with playing it at 1024x768, which is better than what the XBox will do on our standard TVs, yes I know XBox has HDTV but does anyone in the UK have one?

To me the trailer looks amazing, but also looking at the Halflife 2 videos, that actually looks equally if not graphically more impressive. Doom 3 will need a kick ass machine, but if you have a 9600 Pro onwards and a decent CPU and RAM to back it up this should run smoothly.

Personnaly I think that the PC version will be far superior compared the the XBox. In one recent game Max Payne 2, the XBox version was graphically inferior to the PC, with missing effects etc. Doom 3 will be Direct X9 so to get the best out of it you will need a modern card. XBox runs on a Geforce 3 chipset so wont really be able to handle some of the effects.

If your PC is a year old and doesnt have the latest generation of graphics cards and struggles to play the latest games at a decent rate then yes it maybe worth getting the XBox version if you cant upgrade your PC. But if you got a PC that can play current games at 1600x1200 with full effects then you should have no problem with Doom 3.
Tue 16/12/03 at 13:44
Regular
This game will kick so much ass it's unbelievable :D

The graphics engine and techniques they are using are revolutionary, but you'd better be ready to upgrade you're PC to run it. just in the way that iD forced technology updates to support Doom (people needed to move to a decent 2d graphics card), and with Quake (people needed at least a pentium CPU to run the software 3D engine before 3D accelerators came along), people will need to move to a kick ass CPU AND A KICK ASS GPU to run this game.

Real time shadow volumes will be calculated by the CPU, and advanced vertec and pixel shaders will be needed to see this game in it's full glory. I'll be getting the Xbox version though, I'll never be able to afford a PC to run this thing properly when it comes out on my student budget, if you want to play this game at the 1600*1200 it deservse, start saving for a new monitor, CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU now. Oh, they're kicking ass with sound too, so a 7.1 speaker system with onboard RAM and a good sound processor would help add to the atmosphere too, you will need to design you're PC to play this game, EVERYONE is going to wan this game engine :D
Sat 13/12/03 at 21:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
SnipeŽ wrote:
> Can't people wait till the demo or something rather than say it
> 'looks' great.

So basically you don't get excited about any game until you "play a demo or something"? I bet that's fun, and for your information, I do wait for reviews and demo's before I make a final judgment on a game, but I like to get excited every once in a while, especially when where talking about a sequel to one of the biggest FPS of all time.
Sat 13/12/03 at 18:39
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Muss The Halfwit wrote:
> HL was great, but it wouldn't of had you leaping off your seat and
> onto the toilet.

Several things have that effect on me, and I have to say, I prefer things which don't. Thanks to my healthy breakfast of bran flakes I'm nice and regular as I am thankyouverymuch.
Sat 13/12/03 at 17:59
Regular
You haven't even played it..
Sat 13/12/03 at 17:50
Thats what will make it great, the atmosphere.

Compare the scares of a game in a dark setting, such as wolfenstein with games in a lighter setting, such as half life.

HL was great, but it wouldn't of had you leaping off your seat and onto the toilet. but each to their own.

HL2 Will have you screaming in suspense, especially when you have like 4hp to clear a room out and you have to use as much cunning as a fox who's recieved a degree in cunningness from the cambridge instituite of cunning.

And D3, it will have you shivering in worry as to what just flashed past the screen, or what creature will come charging at you from around a corner.
Sat 13/12/03 at 15:24
Regular
Can't people wait till the demo or something rather than say it 'looks' great.
Sat 13/12/03 at 12:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm interested in Doom 3 because it looks to provide the same claustrophobic, and utterly terrifying environments you had to travel though in System Shock 2, one of the finest FPS adventure games ever made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.