GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Older Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/06/00 at 22:47
Regular
Do you think that older games were better? Now before you click back and read somthing sensible...people then expected somthing addictive and cartoony....like micro machines....and games were getting about 96% these games were no works of art but still they got high marks....do you think that the older games were more addictive and better planned out to please gamers....and if this was done now by Rare then games would be ace!

The Game
Sun 25/06/00 at 22:47
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Do you think that older games were better? Now before you click back and read somthing sensible...people then expected somthing addictive and cartoony....like micro machines....and games were getting about 96% these games were no works of art but still they got high marks....do you think that the older games were more addictive and better planned out to please gamers....and if this was done now by Rare then games would be ace!

The Game
Mon 26/06/00 at 20:10
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I would agree with you to the point of saying that nowadays, too much emphasis is put on graphics over gameplay, but as consoles become more mainstream, this will happen more to make games appeal to "Casual" Players who get drawn in by the looks and leave the gameplay as an afterthought.
Sun 20/08/00 at 20:53
Yeah, I would agree that games like Micro Machines would be more addictive than games like Mario 64. But nowadays i's more how well a game is designed rather than how addictive it is.
Thu 31/08/00 at 22:48
"possibly impossible"
Ah, but the problem is this...
Johnny buys a new game for Playcast64 and starts it up. A 16 colour highly pixelated screen greets his eyes, so he starts playing the game. Next, the 'lift music' starts to emerge from the TV speaker and a little character walks across the screen, occasionally jumping over blobs (supposedly rocks) in his way. Johnny takes the game back to the shop for a refund.
Fri 01/09/00 at 19:03
Regular
"Under the Wall"
However, if someone were to take a classic game with all the ingredients for a playable, adictive and most of all, fun game, then liven up the graphics, put a few of these remastered games on one disc and keep the price down, you have a great game that while not having the 3D smoothness of modern stuff, the obvious depth and lastability given by the range of games would hold peoples attention long enough for them to see all there was to offer
Fri 01/09/00 at 20:10
"possibly impossible"
Okay, agreed. But what games in particular would you like to see. Atari's Pong has had an update, as has Rampage - with Rampage World Tour. Some companies, such as Konami and Namco, are packaging their old games as 'emulated' arcade games on consoles, is this the way forward?
It might be interesting to see a new version of Jet set willy, although not in 3D! (please!) but most other games may be too similar to stuff already released. Car games and shoot em ups are especially well catered for, but what other types of game are missed that can be taken from previous decades or do we need something that's more playable, even though it's in the same genre?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.