GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2nd Breed demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/12/03 at 16:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
This one was released a day or two ago, 200 and odd MB I think, and first things first, all the problems that should have been fixed from the first demo 'haven't been fixed in time for this release.

It adds vehicles which can be driven or flown, but that's about it, and just to add insult to injury, the vehicles are crap to drive anyway. The dropship handles like a flying bathtub, very bulky and unresponsive which begs the question "why do the developers have you using it to shoot down smaller and more maneuverable fighters"? It's stupid, they fly about the place circling you like flies whilst you have to steer yourself round to shoot them down, not that they present much of a challenge anyway, the A.I. here is of a very low standard.

You get to control a tank as well, though this is far from as fun as you might expect. You get to drive up a road and kill groups of aliens, in fact once you kill one group you move on to another until you reach a minefield and have to proceed on foot, it really does take repetitive gaming to new heights, and not in a good way either. Vehicles are more fun however, than the terrible on-foot action.

You still hold guns the size of fridges that have hardly any recoil, so again you never 'feel' the force of these weapons, you still fight aliens who look like they've been ripped from Halo (it's uncanny how similar they look) and you still run about the place battling through hundreds of enemies. It's like this game tried to be both Halo and serious Sam, but fails to be good at borrowing ideas (or stealing in other more appropriate words) from either of these games, leaving a mess that did have some great potential, but screws up in execution.

And one other thing, the voice overs in this game are some of the worst I have ever heard, everyone has gravely voices, it is deeply annoying especially since the people supplying the voice overs don't seem to be putting all their effort into it.

Bah, such potential ruined, but I should have know there was no saving the game after the original, awful demo. Multiplayer still might be fun, but I really can't be bothered waiting to find out anymore, this is one game I no longer hold any interest for.
Thu 11/12/03 at 13:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It's just a terrible, terrible game. AI is rubbish, graphics are OK but far from the best you'll ever see and the environments themselves aren't quite as open as the developers would like to think. You are still on an island, a rather dull looking island with a few buildings here and there to try and make it a bit more interesting.

Perhaps the worst part though is just how boring it is to play. The bit where you're in the tank is rubbish. You drive down the road, shoot about 20 aliens who are all huddled to gather in one big group, and then proceed to do the exact same thing five times before you have to go on foot and help out some assclowns who for some reason can't fight through some of the easiest to defeat bad guys I've encountered in a game.

Nice ideas ruined by a very sloppy execution.
Wed 10/12/03 at 21:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Evidently no.

So the AI pathfinding, intensity, sound and general ergonomics are just as pap as ever?

Great.
Wed 10/12/03 at 18:09
"just a little b*gge"
Is it any good
Wed 10/12/03 at 16:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Like I said, it really did have huge potential. I don't know what exactly the developers have been doing the last couple of months after the last, turgid demo, because besides the new vehicles it remains unchanged. Almost as dissapointing as C&C: Renegade.
Tue 09/12/03 at 17:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Bah, sod that game. I really wanted it to be special too.

And I know what you mean about the voice overs. They were awful.
Tue 09/12/03 at 16:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
This one was released a day or two ago, 200 and odd MB I think, and first things first, all the problems that should have been fixed from the first demo 'haven't been fixed in time for this release.

It adds vehicles which can be driven or flown, but that's about it, and just to add insult to injury, the vehicles are crap to drive anyway. The dropship handles like a flying bathtub, very bulky and unresponsive which begs the question "why do the developers have you using it to shoot down smaller and more maneuverable fighters"? It's stupid, they fly about the place circling you like flies whilst you have to steer yourself round to shoot them down, not that they present much of a challenge anyway, the A.I. here is of a very low standard.

You get to control a tank as well, though this is far from as fun as you might expect. You get to drive up a road and kill groups of aliens, in fact once you kill one group you move on to another until you reach a minefield and have to proceed on foot, it really does take repetitive gaming to new heights, and not in a good way either. Vehicles are more fun however, than the terrible on-foot action.

You still hold guns the size of fridges that have hardly any recoil, so again you never 'feel' the force of these weapons, you still fight aliens who look like they've been ripped from Halo (it's uncanny how similar they look) and you still run about the place battling through hundreds of enemies. It's like this game tried to be both Halo and serious Sam, but fails to be good at borrowing ideas (or stealing in other more appropriate words) from either of these games, leaving a mess that did have some great potential, but screws up in execution.

And one other thing, the voice overs in this game are some of the worst I have ever heard, everyone has gravely voices, it is deeply annoying especially since the people supplying the voice overs don't seem to be putting all their effort into it.

Bah, such potential ruined, but I should have know there was no saving the game after the original, awful demo. Multiplayer still might be fun, but I really can't be bothered waiting to find out anymore, this is one game I no longer hold any interest for.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.