GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Track and Field"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Track and Field'.
Tue 09/12/03 at 22:46
Regular
I mentioned in another thread that my mate has got an arcade set up with MAME32 and hundreds of arcade roms. Despite all the stuff he's got we've been having large sessions on Track and Field, trying to beat our records.

It's as terribly sad as it sounds, but just goes to show you don't need fancy graphics and sound to make a game addictive.

Anyone used to play it?
Tue 09/12/03 at 22:46
Regular
I mentioned in another thread that my mate has got an arcade set up with MAME32 and hundreds of arcade roms. Despite all the stuff he's got we've been having large sessions on Track and Field, trying to beat our records.

It's as terribly sad as it sounds, but just goes to show you don't need fancy graphics and sound to make a game addictive.

Anyone used to play it?
Wed 10/12/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
No, but I agree with the point about sound and graphics. You just need good gameplay, and half-decent longevity/addictiveness.
Wed 10/12/03 at 16:23
Regular
the idea is simple - you bash a button to make your guy run faster, then another to make him jump etc - but here's the trick y'see, you gotta hold the second button down to get the correct angle.

the correct combination of power and angle produces a good result.

and arthuritic fingers
Wed 10/12/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Withoutout reading this, I posted Track 'n' Field as one of my all time favourite top ten games in FOG.

It really is great!

What i want to know is... did you assign the run buttons to the joystick left and right?! Try it. I find it a much better game!

Load up the second one - Hyper Sports. Another classic. And '88 games' is a modern remake (if you can call 1988 modern) - but it loses it's charm.

If you do use buttons, some people find they get faster times using the 'comb' or 'pen' trick.....

Put a comb under your index finger, over your middle finger, then under your ring finger. Place one end of the comb over the right run button - by pushing the other end of the comb onto the 2nd run button, you can get a 'perfect' rocking motion that will press them alternately very quickly..... That's the theory....
Wed 10/12/03 at 19:21
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> the idea is simple - you bash a button to make your guy run faster,
> then another to make him jump etc - but here's the trick y'see, you
> gotta hold the second button down to get the correct angle.
>
> the correct combination of power and angle produces a good result.
>
> and arthuritic fingers

And don't forget brittle bones!
Thu 11/12/03 at 02:27
Regular
Tellah wrote:
> Withoutout reading this, I posted Track 'n' Field as one of my all
> time favourite top ten games in FOG.
>
> It really is great!
>
> What i want to know is... did you assign the run buttons to the
> joystick left and right?! Try it. I find it a much better game!
>
> Load up the second one - Hyper Sports. Another classic. And '88
> games' is a modern remake (if you can call 1988 modern) - but it
> loses it's charm.

yeah played those aswell the other night. hyper sports is exactly the same only with better graphics. the relay is crap though, the guy always slows down when you try to pass the other guy the baton.

there was another japanese future olympics game where you have to stop a train in one event, and hurl missiles in another. weird, but fun
Thu 11/12/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
oh yeah... I've played that futuristic one... One event you have to leap between buildings, another you have to lob a cruise missle like a javelin... hehehe. Quite a good game - can't remember what it was called. Might have been a neo geo game.
Thu 11/12/03 at 18:01
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Track and Feild pon the PS1 was genius
Thu 11/12/03 at 18:02
Regular
"Whatever!"
The N64 version was pretty good!
Thu 11/12/03 at 22:57
Regular
"eat toast!"
button bashing galore. I loved this game as it was quite a laugh.

Anyhows, how long does it take for sr to update those winners? the last one was last month! Also i want to know the tag names of the moderators so i could look out for them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.