GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Endless game Formulas?, how long will the same formulas work?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/08/01 at 00:41
Regular
earlier today i was reading an article in issue 20 of PSW magazine, on page 80 it has an interview with one of the guys behind the resident evil games (Shinji Mikami), he says that if they improve the graphics then the gameplay will become slower and that is not what people want, bascially he says that the grpahics will improve in the forth coming resident evil games but the gameplay will remain then same, he goes on to say that what people want is more characters to play with during the game, but i do not really agree with this,i love the Resident evil games, although there is a point to which a formula is used and needs to be changed, i feel that i will be disappointed with the forthcoming resident evil 4 unless at *least* some minor tweaks have been added, eg, maybe a true 1st person view point or even smoother movement of the character you control, he says that the graphics will get better and better, but its not the graphics that matter the most ( they obviously play a part but its not as important as gameplay in my view), its the gameplay, he says that the graphics will help sell the game but if people see the same old gameplay this may put them off as it hasn't really changed since the 1st resi game. another example would be the GT Series, Gt3's graphics have been improved, but they have tweaked the gameplay so it is that little bit better, this game is selling because of the graphics but when u play the game u will realise it plays a lot different to GT1+2, this formula has worked up until GT3, but now people are complaining that its the same old game but with better graphics, thats true but if aint broke why fix it?, formulas once popular are hard to change just incase you ruin the feel of the game, maybe Gt4 should be a little different, but if the formula is changed people will start to complain, but if it stays the same will people still buy it? most likely yes if the forumla has won before it will most likely win again, the question that cannot really be answered is should it be changed or left the same?, most games have good and bad points towards them but nothing is perfect, all of our views are different, its up to the developers what changes but are there any games in which you would like to see that the developer changes the formula?, what reasons do you think justify the changes?, will it benefit the game in the long run?

this is a topic which is not discussed very much, i thought i would raise this point to get peoples views on this, your views would be very much appreciated

cheers
spike :)
Tue 28/08/01 at 00:41
Regular
"Touched!"
earlier today i was reading an article in issue 20 of PSW magazine, on page 80 it has an interview with one of the guys behind the resident evil games (Shinji Mikami), he says that if they improve the graphics then the gameplay will become slower and that is not what people want, bascially he says that the grpahics will improve in the forth coming resident evil games but the gameplay will remain then same, he goes on to say that what people want is more characters to play with during the game, but i do not really agree with this,i love the Resident evil games, although there is a point to which a formula is used and needs to be changed, i feel that i will be disappointed with the forthcoming resident evil 4 unless at *least* some minor tweaks have been added, eg, maybe a true 1st person view point or even smoother movement of the character you control, he says that the graphics will get better and better, but its not the graphics that matter the most ( they obviously play a part but its not as important as gameplay in my view), its the gameplay, he says that the graphics will help sell the game but if people see the same old gameplay this may put them off as it hasn't really changed since the 1st resi game. another example would be the GT Series, Gt3's graphics have been improved, but they have tweaked the gameplay so it is that little bit better, this game is selling because of the graphics but when u play the game u will realise it plays a lot different to GT1+2, this formula has worked up until GT3, but now people are complaining that its the same old game but with better graphics, thats true but if aint broke why fix it?, formulas once popular are hard to change just incase you ruin the feel of the game, maybe Gt4 should be a little different, but if the formula is changed people will start to complain, but if it stays the same will people still buy it? most likely yes if the forumla has won before it will most likely win again, the question that cannot really be answered is should it be changed or left the same?, most games have good and bad points towards them but nothing is perfect, all of our views are different, its up to the developers what changes but are there any games in which you would like to see that the developer changes the formula?, what reasons do you think justify the changes?, will it benefit the game in the long run?

this is a topic which is not discussed very much, i thought i would raise this point to get peoples views on this, your views would be very much appreciated

cheers
spike :)
Tue 28/08/01 at 18:17
Regular
"You Bum!!"
True, many developers nowadays rely on pretty graphics to sell their games but graphics alone do not make a game.
Take Civilisation 2 for example.The graphics are almost non-existent but the gameplay kept me coming back for more all the time

Good post by the way

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.