GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Millenium Bug Part 2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/03/10 at 07:17
Regular
Have I heard correctly that Sony have accidentally mucked up PS3s (especially the original models) when downloading the latest updates by not accounting for the calendar going back to 00 after 09?

I thought the PS3 had a ten year lifespan...

Note: This isn't any dig against PS3 - moreso a dig at Sony's incompetency
Fri 05/03/10 at 15:05
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Oooooo facebook me it, love dodgy jokes :D

I hope you enjoyed it. Too many digits involved in Y2k :p
Wed 03/03/10 at 13:08
Regular
"How Ironic"
Oooooo facebook me it, love dodgy jokes :D
Wed 03/03/10 at 08:25
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Never heard the end of this in school today. Some kid said his
> PS3 was showing the year as 1963.

It's become a time machine :o

So dying to tell a joke about Y2K and KY Jelly, but I'm pretty certain it's too dodgy for the forum!
Tue 02/03/10 at 16:49
Regular
"How Ironic"
Never heard the end of this in school today. Some kid said his PS3 was showing the year as 1963. Another kid said all his trophies got wiped each time he tried a different game. They all said it was something to do with the chinese messing up a leap year or something. The Slimline PS3 is ok though.
Tue 02/03/10 at 15:35
Regular
"And in last place.."
Little things like this are easy to slip through testing but as this one has shown, it can come back with quite a bite. Chances are they did test against a genuine leap year and a non-leap year but unless the tester had bags of time, they will not have tested every year... and never trust a developer's testing.
Tue 02/03/10 at 14:37
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Happens all the time with larger companies as far as I can "research". The larger the company the more likely something small will be missed it seems. Although you would think otherwise :S
Tue 02/03/10 at 14:31
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Maybe so, but you'd think with something so high profile that something as dehabilitating as that wouldn't go unnoticed (albeit it is something rather small, so I guess that's why it sneaked past) and probably something that early testers wouldn't have thought of (or been able to test at all).

Mine's back online and working, and I didn't have time to use it even if I wanted to (not that I do now, but I did little checks through the day). Maybe the lessons that clocks aren't something to take lightly will sink in eventually.
Tue 02/03/10 at 12:32
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Not been able to go on the PS3 for 2 days now :(

But hey ho that's life. Pathetic? Harsh use of the word. It's actually a lot easier to make the mistake than you would realise.
Tue 02/03/10 at 10:29
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Yeah, I think it was an inconsistency between the internal clock and the software calender. The internal clock would insist that it is the 29th February, and the calender would (correctly) say that 29th February 2010 is not a valid date. Due to this fact, the internal clock and calender would refuse to change for the period of 24 hours. This caused all sorts of bother with internet usage, game saves, trophy obtaining, rights management for downloadable content and even just loading games (due to trophy support).

Absolutely pathetic, really.
Tue 02/03/10 at 09:58
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I read about this earlier this morning, I don't think it was counting the years wrong but, more simply, the coding on the older PS3s were set to count 2010 as a leap year and therefore reading yesterday, 1st March, as 29th February, which was wrong and not syncing with what PSN had. Hence the error.

Didn't bother me too much as I have a newer model so was able to play last night with no worries :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.