GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2010 Best Picture Oscar Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/03/10 at 20:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
OK,guys we are officially on a mission to get some chatting done on here.

I have just read through the nominations for this years best picture oscar and reckon its one of the worst years ever.Avatar is clearly the front runner but is it really worthy of a best picture oscar ?.I know some of you on here loved it but I found it way too long,totally unoriginal (blatantly rips off Dances With Wolves,Pocahontas,Brother Bear for examples.) and very predictable (surely most people worked out what was going to happen in it after the first 20 minutes or so?).It wasn't a terrible film but (effects apart) if that is the pinnacle of cinematic achievement I feel we have really lowered our standards.Then there is District 9,thought that was OK but only OK.Didn't dislike it but that didn't blow me away either,again just thought it was average TBH.Is Pixars UP really worthy of a nomination ?,I actually turned that off.Haven't seen Hurt Locker or Inglourious Basterds yet,will have to check those out.A friend of mine saw Up In The Air and said it was alright,if a little bit on the slow side.Hardly a description I would expect for a film that is up for a best picture award.Does anyone agree/disagree with these points ?,have I perhaps missed some of these mentioned films brilliance ?,are they really future classics ?.Also has anyone seen anything in the last 12 months that the Academy may have overlooked ?.I would be really interested to hear about those.

Feel free to discuss any of the above mentioned films (remembering the spoiler button where it may be necessary) or indeed any of the other of the 2010 best picture nominees.
Tue 02/03/10 at 14:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Alfonse wrote:
> It's hilarious that we're discussing whether the movies nominated
> are good enough, as opposed to which deserves to win. I've seen
> most of these movies, and to be honest, I don't think any of them
> deserve the same accolade as movies like Gone with the Wind, or
> Silence of the Lambs. The Oscars are turning into a complete
> joke.

Wasn't that sort of the point of this thread ?.You're right,none of the nominated films (of the ones which I have seen anyway) deserve anything like the same accolade as the movies you mentioned.In 10 years time I reckon we will have forgotten about most,if not all of them TBH.Reckon some lesser known movies such as Let The Right One In will stand the test of time better than most of these.I'm wondering whether studio pressure is curtailing film makers creativity on some movies these days ?.Did James Cameron have little other choice than to produce a piece of forgettable lightweight fluff that would appeal to the masses simply because of the huge amount of FOX's money that he had spent on it ?.Not sure why the discussion is hilarious though,I haven't laughed once in it yet :S
Tue 02/03/10 at 12:28
Regular
It's hilarious that we're discussing whether the movies nominated are good enough, as opposed to which deserves to win. I've seen most of these movies, and to be honest, I don't think any of them deserve the same accolade as movies like Gone with the Wind, or Silence of the Lambs. The Oscars are turning into a complete joke.
Tue 02/03/10 at 11:35
Regular
"THFC"
Hurt Lock on Blu Ray is my next title to come from LoveFilm, been in my list for a few weeks and it just got added lol. Funny how that happens!
Tue 02/03/10 at 09:58
"possibly impossible"
Best Picture award should be just that; the Best Picture of the year.

It needs to be a mix of storytelling, design, image, sound and everything else that goes to make a film shine. Even if one part is weaker, if the sum is greater than the parts and provides a good entertaining experience then it's considered worthy.

Avatar has been criticised for borrowing from other film storylines, but surely a lot of the best films already do this anyway? Does a film need a shock or surprise ending just for the sake of it? No. I found Avatar a great film because it created a believable world with likable characters and a good, old fashioned story.

District 9 came up with something different again, but was ultimately an old concept (illegal immigrants and racism) dressed up with a story about aliens. I liked how it looked and had a unique feel about it, though I didn't really enjoy the story as much as with Avatar.

For me UP is the best of the bunch. I consider it one of Pixar's greats, certainly something that requires repeat watching and will be in my Blu-ray collection as soon as I can afford it. As with Wall-E, the first part captures you and draws you in to the world and the rest of the film is a grand adventure.
Tue 02/03/10 at 09:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
Freeola Oscars ?,like that idea (you can't vote for conservatory adverts though !) :)

My point was that a best picture oscar should be for an outstanding achievement in film making,should it not ?.Even the peeps who adored Avatar to death must admit it was there was hardly an original idea in the damn thing.Cameron could have at so many points thrown in a curveball,something no one saw coming but he didn't.I agree its not a bad film,but its hardly groundbreaking IMO.The first hour basically consisted of some 3D creatures,then some 3D plants,then some more 3D creatures,then some 3D plants and that was about it.Cameron took an 80- 90 minute Disney story and padded it out to nearly 3 hours.I recently watched Christopher Smith's Triangle,really enjoyed that.It's no masterpiece but at least it was different and original.It's worth adding to your rental lists IMO.I fancy The Hurt Locker as well,heard lots of good reports on that,may rent it next week.
Tue 02/03/10 at 08:47
Regular
"THFC"
Hurt Locker is meant to be very good, i am waiting to get it on Blu-Ray from Lovefilm and by all accounts it is meant to be very good, so i am looking forward to that.

Avatar i enjoyed, even the story, not the most original but i thought it all came together well, the imagery was beautiful and does deserve recognition for that.

Inglorious Basterds, i thought was funny, entertaining and overall a good film. Some great acting and would watch it again, but it is a remake of an old film which i never saw, so not sure how it compares.

Overall the whole thing is about opinions of people, so some people will disagree with the winners, always will happen. Maybe we should have a Freeola Oscars lol
Mon 01/03/10 at 20:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
OK,guys we are officially on a mission to get some chatting done on here.

I have just read through the nominations for this years best picture oscar and reckon its one of the worst years ever.Avatar is clearly the front runner but is it really worthy of a best picture oscar ?.I know some of you on here loved it but I found it way too long,totally unoriginal (blatantly rips off Dances With Wolves,Pocahontas,Brother Bear for examples.) and very predictable (surely most people worked out what was going to happen in it after the first 20 minutes or so?).It wasn't a terrible film but (effects apart) if that is the pinnacle of cinematic achievement I feel we have really lowered our standards.Then there is District 9,thought that was OK but only OK.Didn't dislike it but that didn't blow me away either,again just thought it was average TBH.Is Pixars UP really worthy of a nomination ?,I actually turned that off.Haven't seen Hurt Locker or Inglourious Basterds yet,will have to check those out.A friend of mine saw Up In The Air and said it was alright,if a little bit on the slow side.Hardly a description I would expect for a film that is up for a best picture award.Does anyone agree/disagree with these points ?,have I perhaps missed some of these mentioned films brilliance ?,are they really future classics ?.Also has anyone seen anything in the last 12 months that the Academy may have overlooked ?.I would be really interested to hear about those.

Feel free to discuss any of the above mentioned films (remembering the spoiler button where it may be necessary) or indeed any of the other of the 2010 best picture nominees.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.