GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] Avatar 3D"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/03/10 at 20:37
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
The film is a sci-fi, so if you aren't a fan with these sorts of films, i would suggest you change your mind. The film spent $500m on making it and within the first week it made $300 and so far have made just under $2.5 billion dollars.

All of the film adverts were in 3D, which made this hilarious for me as next to me was my Auntie who jumped! This was because there was an advert for Piranha 3D. The glasses that we were given were very different from the old paper - red and blue plastic. The new glasses just looked like normal sun glasses only bigger.

So to the film itself!

The director was James Cameron, the same guy who made Titanic. Even before the film came out, it recieved alot of hype. When the trailer came out, there was alot MORE excitement and anticipation for the film to come out.

Ok now i will get onto the film!

Basically, it's set in the future and takes place on a far away jugle like planet called Pandora. The humans are on this planet because there is alot of a certain substance called Unobtanium. This is worth $20 per kilo, as we are told. The Na'vi who are the natives on this planet, are 10ft, blue with tails and live very closley with nature. Their world is soon threatened by the Americans who are very prepared to use force to drive them out! The American's communicate with the Na'vi by using artificial bodies known as Avatars. This is done by being mentally transported to the artificial body. These are the same bodies as the Na'vi.

The main character is Jake Sully, a paraplegic soldier, who takes his twin brothers' place on the planet - as he is dead. Through his brother's avatar body (he has the same DNA and so can do this), he can walk, run, jump and do anything a person with non - numb person can. His is apart of a scientific team who try to help the Na'vi with a solution and to collect information on the planet and other details about their lives but Colonel Miles Quaritch bribes him with an operation to regain the use of his legs by collecting other information. (I won't spoil it)

The storyline for me was not as great as I hoped but still quite good. I won't reveal anymore incase you want to go and see it but if i wasn't for the graphics and being available in 3D, it wouldn't have gained the attention that it got.

The graphics are sensational! I remember watching a fern and couldn't believe how life like it looked. I have one in my garden and it looked exactly like it. They did this with every inch of the picture and even with flying objects, they made it with defined detail. Making the viewing experience even more enjoyable. Many animation films don't capture the emotion in their eyes that comes with human eyes. Yet, Avatar does this immensly well. Every emotion is captured within their eyes just like any human being.

It is best to watch the film in 3D as it feels like you are standing right by the characters and are within the environment.

Each member of the cast are suited to their roles and those who are both a character and avatar were also suited to their roles. Especially Colonol Quaritch, who seems like a man you don't want to mess with. He reminded me of Chip Hazard from another film called Small Soldiers.

Overall a 9/10 for me. If the storyline was better than it would get a 10.
Tue 02/03/10 at 18:27
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Lol cheers. And you should go and see it!
Tue 02/03/10 at 16:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
Gah, great to see a review about a film in here for a change. Nice review :) Still haven't seen Avatar.
Mon 01/03/10 at 20:37
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
The film is a sci-fi, so if you aren't a fan with these sorts of films, i would suggest you change your mind. The film spent $500m on making it and within the first week it made $300 and so far have made just under $2.5 billion dollars.

All of the film adverts were in 3D, which made this hilarious for me as next to me was my Auntie who jumped! This was because there was an advert for Piranha 3D. The glasses that we were given were very different from the old paper - red and blue plastic. The new glasses just looked like normal sun glasses only bigger.

So to the film itself!

The director was James Cameron, the same guy who made Titanic. Even before the film came out, it recieved alot of hype. When the trailer came out, there was alot MORE excitement and anticipation for the film to come out.

Ok now i will get onto the film!

Basically, it's set in the future and takes place on a far away jugle like planet called Pandora. The humans are on this planet because there is alot of a certain substance called Unobtanium. This is worth $20 per kilo, as we are told. The Na'vi who are the natives on this planet, are 10ft, blue with tails and live very closley with nature. Their world is soon threatened by the Americans who are very prepared to use force to drive them out! The American's communicate with the Na'vi by using artificial bodies known as Avatars. This is done by being mentally transported to the artificial body. These are the same bodies as the Na'vi.

The main character is Jake Sully, a paraplegic soldier, who takes his twin brothers' place on the planet - as he is dead. Through his brother's avatar body (he has the same DNA and so can do this), he can walk, run, jump and do anything a person with non - numb person can. His is apart of a scientific team who try to help the Na'vi with a solution and to collect information on the planet and other details about their lives but Colonel Miles Quaritch bribes him with an operation to regain the use of his legs by collecting other information. (I won't spoil it)

The storyline for me was not as great as I hoped but still quite good. I won't reveal anymore incase you want to go and see it but if i wasn't for the graphics and being available in 3D, it wouldn't have gained the attention that it got.

The graphics are sensational! I remember watching a fern and couldn't believe how life like it looked. I have one in my garden and it looked exactly like it. They did this with every inch of the picture and even with flying objects, they made it with defined detail. Making the viewing experience even more enjoyable. Many animation films don't capture the emotion in their eyes that comes with human eyes. Yet, Avatar does this immensly well. Every emotion is captured within their eyes just like any human being.

It is best to watch the film in 3D as it feels like you are standing right by the characters and are within the environment.

Each member of the cast are suited to their roles and those who are both a character and avatar were also suited to their roles. Especially Colonol Quaritch, who seems like a man you don't want to mess with. He reminded me of Chip Hazard from another film called Small Soldiers.

Overall a 9/10 for me. If the storyline was better than it would get a 10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.