GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Pads"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
"beginner"
I'm thinking of moving onto PC based games after several years on PS1. I'm pretty hopeless on a keyboard, though, so what sort of pc games can be played on a game pad, and how can you tell from the packaging? Any recommendations will be gratefully received.
Fri 12/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
"beginner"
I'm thinking of moving onto PC based games after several years on PS1. I'm pretty hopeless on a keyboard, though, so what sort of pc games can be played on a game pad, and how can you tell from the packaging? Any recommendations will be gratefully received.
Sat 13/12/03 at 04:20
Regular
Pretty much any game can be played with a gamepad, as even if the game itself doesn't accept the pad, you can usually assign buttons to keys (e.g button one on the joypad corresponds to the space bar on the keyboard).

There are obvious exceptions though, if you want to play real time strategy games, or anything like that, you'll have to make do with the mouse and keyboard combination. Most games let you customise your keys though so you won't have much trouble.

As for your choice of pad - that's up to you. you need to find one you feel comfortable using, and one that has all the functions on it you need for your games. You may wish to opt for a joySTICK instead, which have some advantages over the pad, but are large and cumbersome.

It's a matter of taste really, but you can play most PC games with a Pad. go into an SR shop, or PC world or whatever and 'test drive' a few before you buy.
Sat 13/12/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I'd advise you to learn the keyboard, if you're planning on playing a first person shoot for instance, you would be far better off learning the traditional keyboard and mouse method.

What kind of games are you going to play?
Sat 13/12/03 at 11:03
Regular
Well, when I first got my PC I too wasn't "experienced" with the keyboard but to be honest it's the best way to play PC Games. Game pads just aren't the same. Give the keyboard a go, the more you use it the better it will get it :)
Sat 13/12/03 at 12:32
"just a little b*gge"
get the side winder
Sun 14/12/03 at 11:14
Regular
Lipe wrote:
> Well, when I first got my PC I too wasn't "experienced" with
> the keyboard but to be honest it's the best way to play PC Games.
> Game pads just aren't the same. Give the keyboard a go, the more you
> use it the better it will get it :)

I agree with that. Plus, i know it sounds crazy but it's also more exciting when you are using the keyboard & mouse configuration,

E.G Playing any quake or unreal game - the speed and difficulty make me quite 'thrashy' with movements, and i'll often shake with the concentration. Oh man, i need a life.
Sun 14/12/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I am considering getting a game pad just because I have Need For Speed Underground and would rather play that on a nice pad just like you would on a console. I think racing games and maybe some action type(Silent Hill 3 for example) games are best suited to a game pad.
Mon 15/12/03 at 22:03
Regular
"beginner"
Thanks to all concerned for the helpful advice I've been given. I'll go with the majority view and see if I can learn to manage OK with the keyboard/mouse controls. If not, its reassuring to learn that most games can be played using a game pad, so I won't have wasted too much money. In answer to Bob-The-Moose, I prefer 1st person shooters, action/adventure and some platform games. I've now bought Deus Ex to start with. I assume its as good as any, but if anyone can recommend an easier (but interesting) game to learn on, I'll be pleased to hear about it.
Wed 17/12/03 at 02:13
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
I recommend Max Payne 2... and as a console player turned PC I rate the mouse and keyboard way of doing things as top when it comes to games that require accuracy... eg FPS games for racing though an analogue controller comes tops....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.