GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will THIS be enough?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/08/01 at 20:15
Regular
From www.planetxbox.com:

Microsoft and Namco today formally announced that Namco is developing four titles for the Microsoft Xbox video game system. Namco is the latest Japanese developer to announce its support for Microsoft's powerful new video game console.
Namco plans to bring the latest versions of two of its biggest franchises to Xbox: the popular racing series, Ridge Racer Latest Version, and the award-winning fighting game, Soul Calibur 2. Two Namco titles are also under exclusive development for Xbox: Dead to Rights, a thrilling adventure about a cop framed for murder and facing execution who makes a daring escape and seeks revenge on those who killed his father and set him up, and a second, unnamed action-adventure title.

"At Namco, we are excited to work together with Microsoft on Xbox game development," said Masaya Nakamura, chairman and CEO of Namco. "We initially will provide game titles that appeal to the avid video game consumer in the Xbox consumer space, and in the future we intend to provide games using the Xbox online game service."

"Having Namco games available on Xbox is a huge victory for gamers around the world," said Robbie Bach, chief Xbox officer at Microsoft. "We are delighted that, through Xbox, gamers worldwide will experience the thrilling titles produced by Namco's game creators."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, a Ridge Racer game, as well as Soul Calibur 2 are heading to the XBox then. Could this be enough to persuade people that the XBox is the way to go?

No that Namco have joined with names like Acclaim, Activision, Sega, Capcom, Core, Eidos and the rest of the 150+ developers for the XBox, will people now realise that the XBox WILL have the games needed to make it a succesful console?
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:24
Regular
no,

I'm sure the x-box has a March release for us. Microsoft announced yesterday that they have delayed the Japan launch of x-box till 2002.
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Sorry, your grammar confused me...

So Microsoft have said that the X-Box will NOT be released in the UK until Febuary.

Still it'll be released before the Gamecube in The US and Before the Gamecube over here, so they have a small head start in both races, not that that matters, because the Saturn was released a week before the PSX in Japan and look what happened!
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:18
Regular
it was never coming thus year anyway for us. A march release has always been penciled in for us.

your talking about the japenese lauch right?
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:06
Regular
"I am your father"
Microsoft have just announced that the release of the X-Box is now not to be released until February as they want to concentrate more on the American one. So if your looking forward to one at Christmas then I am sorry but it just ain't gonna happen.
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Microsoft's 'campaign' as it were, seems to be getting stronger by the day.

I see them as in a similar position to Nintendo. More people know about Microsoft, through their PC programs, yes... but that doesn't mean that people won't trust them in the same way.

People have had Mario, they've had a 'PLAYSTATION!!!' But what they haven't had is a Microsoft... well... and X-Box... The X-Box looks like it will bring all the, what I call, 'free-games'... the ones from developers that will develop for almost anyone. Games like Fifa, Ridge Racer... games that you see on most consoles, and that aren't held by the consumer in a very high regard.

But added to these 'free games' we have some 'exclusives'. And in just the same way Mario and Zelda are exclusives, Microsoft will make their own franchises and build them up over the years...

Microsoft need to show the consumers that they can provide all the games, save a few, that they had on their Playstations and Nintendo 64's. (It will be quite hard to compete with Nintendo because their in a league of their own... no! i'm not being funny, but they don't seem to be aiming at the same market as Sony and Microsoft.) But Microsoft will be able to compete with Sony...

The third party games that made the PSX so popular will most likely show up on the X-Box... the reason being developers are like sheep. Sounds silly, I know, but think about it... When Nintendo first announced the Gamecube, very few third parties hopped on board the HMS Gamecube but, as more and more developers signed up like Namco and Sega, other developers realised that there could very well be quite a large user-base for th Gamecube a viola...

Okay so the GC's graphical prowess may have had something to do with it, but seemingly not as much as we might think.

Microsoft are in quite a strong position:

Good Name
Good Machine
Lots of Developers
Some Exclusives

But the company has set-backs:

Some enemies
Nintendo/Sony loyalists
Consumer presumptions about what the X-Box will offer (18-ratings etc...)
Lack of experience...

Okay so the last one could be a bit of a 'lots of good footballers bought together to create the ultimate team' type thing, but even France, England and especially Scotland's national teams need training... and experience. They can't just take their experience and 'go to the matresses' with it, they have to combine all the power and manage it properly... Microsoft may have loads of experienced people, but the company as a whole has a lot to learn... Heroshima Yamauchi knows this and hopes to capitalise on it.

I'm just trying to say that even though Microsoft may look strong and have the weapons...

'If you can't unlock the safety catch you can't fire the gun... and in a (console) WAR, thats not a good thing!'

Game
Tue 28/08/01 at 09:58
Regular
"not dead"
Also regarding Capcom, they have been described as Microsofts 'development partner' and the games that were supposed to be GAMECUBE exclusives were not shown at Spaceworld as they were expected to be.

Hmmm, expect an announcement soon.
Tue 28/08/01 at 09:03
Regular
I just can't wait for Project Gotham Racing. It's going to be fantastic, and a launch title over here!

I guess I have to finish M:SR first through.....
Tue 28/08/01 at 03:10
Regular
Ridge racer more fun than GT3?
Tue 28/08/01 at 03:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It is if you haven't played one for years and years, and rather than going out and buying a PSX and an old copy to get that 'retro' vibe again, you can just go out and grab a new copy for your X-Box and get stunned by the graphics, much in the same way that PS2 owners who've never played the Gran Turismo series on the PSX quite enjoy GT3.

On the downside, yeah, it's nothing new, there's been 5 of them, 3 of them pretty much the same, and Rage Racer probably edging it for gameplay and fun.

But seeing as I now have a Dreamcast and have no access to a Ridge Racer title, I'll be getting it for the X-Box if it does eventually see the light of day.
Tue 28/08/01 at 02:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You know, another Ridge Racer game isn't a good thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.