GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Tim Burton lost it/sold out?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/08/01 at 15:50
Regular
I remember with much fondness the time when I first saw 'Edward Scissorhands'. It was one of the first films I really liked. By that I mean it was one of the first films that I found myself watching again and again without ever tiring of it. It was beautifully shot and Tim Burton's imagination allowed the whole film to come to life. From the gothic towers of the Scissorhands' castle to the prim conformity of the suburbia to which he moves. Everything was painted in those larger than life colours that we associate with fairytales. Except Burton's fairytales were different to most, they were part brothers Grimm and part Hans Christian Anderson. In a Burton fairytale you would find the princess, the knight in shining armour and the dragon. However, the knight would be a chauvinistic pig and the dragon a creature of extreme inner beauty troubled by its exclusion from society and by its ugly exterior. In the Burton fairytale the beautiful princess would fall in love with the dragon despite its appearence.

Burton created a series of wonderful characters, each an outsider who was eventually accepted only to suffer some horrible indignity. 'Edward Scissorhands' was the paragon of this type of film, largely pioneered by Burton. He also directed 'Beetlejuice' and 'Ed Wood', both classics. He also gave us 'The Nightmare before Christmas', a stunning animated adventure which again took the outsider theme and created one of the best post-modern fairytales in recent times. It is Burton's romantic, poetic imagination that allows such beautiful worlds to unfold, but with a gothic darkness at the same time.

Although Burton has made great films he could be accused of selling out in 1989. Yes, that year saw the first 'Batman' film. Despite initial misgivings I have to admit that both 'Batman', and the sequel 'Batman Returns', weren't as bad, or "Hollywood-ised" as I had expected they would be. In fact these two parts in the Batman series were arguably the best. Gothem City is recreated in its intimidating gothicness and Burton adds subtle tones to Batman's character and so creates a more three-dimensional, troubled super-hero. This new twist on the outsider theme was not entirely unwelcome and did a great deal for comic book to film ventures (Spiderman's out this year).

'Sleepy Hollow' was Burton's return to the Gothic fairytale. Unfortunately it was less warmly received than his previous films. It follows the same pattern as his previous films but some of his usual flair seemed lost. None of the characters were as absorbing as Edward Scissorhands had been. While the plot was not as accessible as his other films. The final injustice would have to be the moderately happy ending. This raised the question 'Has Burton lost it?'

This was a difficult question so I sat down and watched Edward Scissorhands a few more times until I was absolutely convinced of Burton's greatness. Then 'Planet of the Apes' was released. This added the 'sold out' dimension to the Burton question. I must say that I didn't think 'Planet of the Apes' was a great film. The acting isn't great, the scenery is not as vivid as Burton's previous films and the story is a bit lame. His "reimagining", no it's definitely not a remake that would be so passé, is not as good as the original and is basically Hollywood crowd-pleasing fodder. There is nothing to redeem the film, apart from the great make-up, but let's face it a film was considered a classic solely in terms of the make-up then directors would only need to cast Christina Aguilera and they would get a truckload of oscars every single time. Make-up maketh not the film.

So 'Planet of the Apes' has left me rather worried. Can anyone reassure me that Tim Burton has not lost his creative genius? Does anyone think 'Planet of the Apes' was his retirement fund movie? I think I could accept Burton selling out for a brief period in time but I hope he returns with a classic outsider fairytale. What does everyone think?

Meanwhile I am going to return to 'The Melancholy Death of Oysterboy' (a collection of Burton poems) and ponder the issue at hand.
Sun 26/08/01 at 15:50
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I remember with much fondness the time when I first saw 'Edward Scissorhands'. It was one of the first films I really liked. By that I mean it was one of the first films that I found myself watching again and again without ever tiring of it. It was beautifully shot and Tim Burton's imagination allowed the whole film to come to life. From the gothic towers of the Scissorhands' castle to the prim conformity of the suburbia to which he moves. Everything was painted in those larger than life colours that we associate with fairytales. Except Burton's fairytales were different to most, they were part brothers Grimm and part Hans Christian Anderson. In a Burton fairytale you would find the princess, the knight in shining armour and the dragon. However, the knight would be a chauvinistic pig and the dragon a creature of extreme inner beauty troubled by its exclusion from society and by its ugly exterior. In the Burton fairytale the beautiful princess would fall in love with the dragon despite its appearence.

Burton created a series of wonderful characters, each an outsider who was eventually accepted only to suffer some horrible indignity. 'Edward Scissorhands' was the paragon of this type of film, largely pioneered by Burton. He also directed 'Beetlejuice' and 'Ed Wood', both classics. He also gave us 'The Nightmare before Christmas', a stunning animated adventure which again took the outsider theme and created one of the best post-modern fairytales in recent times. It is Burton's romantic, poetic imagination that allows such beautiful worlds to unfold, but with a gothic darkness at the same time.

Although Burton has made great films he could be accused of selling out in 1989. Yes, that year saw the first 'Batman' film. Despite initial misgivings I have to admit that both 'Batman', and the sequel 'Batman Returns', weren't as bad, or "Hollywood-ised" as I had expected they would be. In fact these two parts in the Batman series were arguably the best. Gothem City is recreated in its intimidating gothicness and Burton adds subtle tones to Batman's character and so creates a more three-dimensional, troubled super-hero. This new twist on the outsider theme was not entirely unwelcome and did a great deal for comic book to film ventures (Spiderman's out this year).

'Sleepy Hollow' was Burton's return to the Gothic fairytale. Unfortunately it was less warmly received than his previous films. It follows the same pattern as his previous films but some of his usual flair seemed lost. None of the characters were as absorbing as Edward Scissorhands had been. While the plot was not as accessible as his other films. The final injustice would have to be the moderately happy ending. This raised the question 'Has Burton lost it?'

This was a difficult question so I sat down and watched Edward Scissorhands a few more times until I was absolutely convinced of Burton's greatness. Then 'Planet of the Apes' was released. This added the 'sold out' dimension to the Burton question. I must say that I didn't think 'Planet of the Apes' was a great film. The acting isn't great, the scenery is not as vivid as Burton's previous films and the story is a bit lame. His "reimagining", no it's definitely not a remake that would be so passé, is not as good as the original and is basically Hollywood crowd-pleasing fodder. There is nothing to redeem the film, apart from the great make-up, but let's face it a film was considered a classic solely in terms of the make-up then directors would only need to cast Christina Aguilera and they would get a truckload of oscars every single time. Make-up maketh not the film.

So 'Planet of the Apes' has left me rather worried. Can anyone reassure me that Tim Burton has not lost his creative genius? Does anyone think 'Planet of the Apes' was his retirement fund movie? I think I could accept Burton selling out for a brief period in time but I hope he returns with a classic outsider fairytale. What does everyone think?

Meanwhile I am going to return to 'The Melancholy Death of Oysterboy' (a collection of Burton poems) and ponder the issue at hand.
Sun 26/08/01 at 15:54
People should be allowed to make mistakes, but only if they vow never to tread that path again. What Tim Burton was doing with Planet of the Apes, I'll never know, but Edward Scissorhands will always remind me of how brilliant his visions can be.
Sun 26/08/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I've never thought he was that great. I mean, Edward Scissorhands WAS good but then Ed Wood was awful (aside from SOME funny lines), Sleepy Hollow was pretty poor and Planet of the Apes was really disappointing. It was better than Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood but it wasn't any where near as good as I expected.
Sun 26/08/01 at 16:10
Regular
"Back For Good"
nightmare before christmas was class but Danny Elfman's happy tunes spoil it's atmosphere :(
Sun 26/08/01 at 18:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Edward Scissorhands is definitely a great film. Even if you think Ed Wood was a bad film then Burton's still on to a winner, maybe that was the point seeing as Ed Wood was the worst filmmaker ever... I thought it was good though. Planet of the Apes just wasn't as good as any of Burton's other films. The script was dodgy, the acting poor, and the "vision" that one normally associates with Burton, that is the magical atmosphere of his films, was completely absent.

As for the Nightmare before Christmas comment.. Didn't it win an academy award for its music?
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:02
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Batman could be considered a sell out by some, Sleepy Hollow as well. Does it matter? Nope. I ask for good films that entertain, maybe even make you think about something or present you with another's views on a subject you already know about. What I don't ask for is a director doing it for the "love" of the medium or to "furhter his artistic boundaries".

I reckon Burton made POTA and the two films mentioned as homages to his childhood, growing up with these tales. At the end of the day he also has mouths to feed, so why not accept a big pay check once in a while and then go fart about with no money projects like Stain Boy and the poetry for a while.

POTA was a no-brainer and that's all it should be seen as.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I thought Batman was ok, but Batman Returns was pure Burton and I loved it.

Starts with Pee-Wee Herman throwing a baby into the river, it's all dark and dangerous, filled with outcast characters, The Penguin was foul and nasty, Chris Walkern as "Max Shrek" (the original Dracula/Nosferatu).

Even Burton on auto-pilot beats most bilge clogging up the multiplexes, in my opinion.
Mon 27/08/01 at 19:51
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
So there are a few fellow Burton enthusiasts... it's good to see that I am not the only one.

In response to Dr.Gonzo's 'I want to be entertained' point. Some directors are blessed with an incredible imagination that can fully visualise how a scene might look. This is why we see in Burton's films whole elaborately constructed worlds. He seems to have squandered that talent on POTA. I know I question whether the Batman series was selling out but I don't really think it was. You see, Batman Returns as the goat pointed out is a gothic masterpiece. It is a lesson in how making a hollywood film does not need to force I director into a niche. Burton squandered none of his talents in making Batman Returns, which was a superb film, even if it didn't meet the standards of Edward Scissorhands.

Burton also has other talents besides his gothic imagination. He has a knack for characterisation, this too is vital in a film. If you watch most of Burton's films the characters are generally fairytale or comicbook stereotypes with a twist. These types of character are traditionally, and literally, two dimensional. If the knight saves the princess it is because he is good, there are no arguments of morality and no change in the stereotype. Burton makes these characters into three dimensional personalities with whom you can fully associate. It is a difficult thing to do. If you look at another director who has been accused of selling out, Bryan Singer, then it is evident. Singer directed the Usual Suspects, his first feature film, shot in a short space of time, but absolutely outstanding. He characterises each man so well that it draws you into the film. You see the domineering attitude of Agent Kujon, who's interviewing Verbal Kindt. You see the submissive Kindt the first time you watch the film, but if you watch again you see in how much detail the man has been characterised, and how his alter-ego actually shines through his pretence. Look for when he fumbles with a lighter and drops it, this is quite deliberate. It is done to see whether Agent Kujon will pick it up for him, which will show who in fact has the dominant personality, who can be manipulated. Kujon does pick up th lighter and Kindt knows that he can manipulate him. That was incredible characterisation. If you look at X-men, Singer's next film, he tries desperately to repeat this. Over half the film is spent meticulously characterising each of the central protagonists. Apparently he wanted to spend even more time doing this but was forced to cut a lot of the scenes as it was an action film and characterisation doesn't involve spectacular amounts of action.

Burton didn't betray his skills in Batman Returns, which is what makes POTA such a disappointment. His customary flair is absent from POTA, the characters are shallow and the scenes are flat. Even the outsider aesthetic is weak. Burton could have made POTA into an awesome film whether it was in homage to his childhood or not. He has already proved that a Hollywood film does not have to be a no-brainer. Look at some of the other stuff to come out of Hollywood, American Beauty, LA Confidential. It is possible to make an intelligent AND commercially successful film.

The most annoying thing about POTA is that it could have been outstanding. Burton at his best would have beaten the original, or even reinterpretted it completely. I think Burton's "reimagining" is how he wanted the film to be, ultimately it's become a "rehash" more than anything else. I hope the eventual DVD release shows an original cut, or even Burton's scene sketches, any of these could redeem him. Unfortunately I might just have to concede that POTA was a no-brainer and at least look forward to Burton not needing to make films for money anymore...
Tue 28/08/01 at 10:53
Regular
Don't forget, Burton also did Mars Attacks!

A complete spoof of Independance Day. Considering the budget he had, he got some big names, some good effects, and came out with an enjoyable, amusing film.

I'm not saying it's the best film ever, but it does completely take the mick out of the previous years blockbuster (independance day), and it's a pefect film for a rainy sunday afternoon.
Tue 28/08/01 at 15:26
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Mars Attacks wasn't actually a spoof.. Apparently it had already been filmed before Independance Day and got absolutely shafted at the box-office because Independance had just been released. Just as Doc Gonzo suggests Batman is a homage to Burton's childhood, Mars Attacks was homage to a series of playing cards that were banned for being too violent. Great film, maybe underrated.. I agree with whoever said that Burton on autopilot beats most directors hands down.

Oh, and i would just like to say that I am not disowning Burton for making POTA, I still love almost all of his films. I am only wondering whether he has lost his touch, as both Sleepy Hollow and, to a greater extent, POTA haven't been as good as his previous films. Either that or he has decided to make money-spinning films. I hope it's the latter because it's easier to fix than losing your touch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.