GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How're your middle-fingers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/12/03 at 10:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
How're your middle-fingers?

Good? Okay? Alright? Yes?

How often do you use them?
I find I use them a lot more than I used to...

No, I'm that kind of person! :P What I means is that, over time, my middle-fingers have, somehow, become dominant "index" fingers that use to all sorts of things - especialling pointing.

Now, I don't know why this is exactly, because I never used to do it before.... Before I had my GAMECUBE!

You see, I believe this is down to Nintendo's GameCube and their "brilliantly-ergonomic" controller. Because of how the `L´, `R´ and `Z´-buttons are position ontop of the pad I have adjusted my hands to a "comfortable" gaming position where the 2 shoulder-buttons are operated by my 2 middle-fingers, while my right index-finger hovers over `Z´ (and the left one just sits beside `L´).

I don't know about you, but while I did find this uncomfortable at first, I've always seen as the most convenient way to hold the 'Cube's pad, given the average game makes good-use of 'all' buttons. To operate the `beefy´ `L´ and `R´-buttons with my index-fingers, switching between `Z´ and `R´, has never felt right to me.

And so, I appear to be stuck like this! No matter where I am, what I'm doing, I will now always point at or touch (first) something with my middle-fingers. And yes, it DOES look offensive sometimes!
Showing the staff in Boots on Monday that I could fit and remove my contact-lenses is a good example of this. Without thinking, I was always trying to put them in with my middle ones, and they kept having to tell me to try and use me index's! :)

...And I blame Nintendo for this! Will I ever be able to point normally again?? I wonder how this'll affect my future....

Have you noticed anything like this yet? Or are you one of those (probably) "normal" who hold the GameCube pads `the other-way´?

I'm interested to see if others have been affected, that's all.
Sat 20/12/03 at 17:31
Regular
"You've upset me"
Microchips wrote:
> A, B, X, Y was the layout on the SNES controller Pad. The N64 came
> out, C was invented (follows A, B) and Z (Follows X, Y).

True, I forgot that about the SNES. But why the sudden jump from A-B to X-Y?
Sat 20/12/03 at 14:54
Regular
I've got a friend that plays on his consoles almost 24/7 and he points with his middle finger(s). But his middle fingers are freakishly big, but kool in a weird kind of way.
Sat 20/12/03 at 14:51
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
A, B, X, Y was the layout on the SNES controller Pad. The N64 came out, C was invented (follows A, B) and Z (Follows X, Y).
Sat 20/12/03 at 14:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
Actually... one question: Why the hell are the buttons on the GC so strangely named? A, B, X, Y Z, L R..?

A - Logical. First letter of alphabet always an A button on a Nintendo console.
B - Same.
C - (N64) - Same as above.
L - Left. Simple.
R - Right.
Z - What the hell? Where did this come from? Why was it called the Z trigger on the '64?

And now we have X and Y on the GC, what happened to C + D?
Sat 20/12/03 at 14:08
Regular
"You've upset me"
Same, I switch my index from R to Z. In a game like Mario Kart where I might need both at the same time I simply barre across the two, by rolling my index finger slightly towards me and therefore covering the Z trigger.
Sat 20/12/03 at 10:09
"The Will of D."
Nah I don't use the middle finger at all when I play games like Super Smash bros melee, I just use the index finger as always to get rid of the weapon, it's just instinct now for me to use the index finger all the time when using a GC controller. But not many games actually use both the R and Z buttons as a combo effort.
Sat 20/12/03 at 01:37
Regular
"thursdayton!"
cookie monster wrote:
> I use my index fingers to depress the triggers.
>
> If i need to use the Z button its just a case of a quick switch from
> the shoulder button.

The very same for me too, tried using my middle but could onlly depress L+R at about half the speed of my index fingers.. bizarre.
Sat 20/12/03 at 01:36
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Lol, they're fine actually ;o)

But yeah, habbits like that are quite hard to get out of mate, so have fun with that! Haha
Sat 20/12/03 at 00:17
Regular
"Booooom"
ahh you dont wanna know what I do with my finger:) jks

But Teg GC has the madest controller and fits your hand pefectly so thats nice:D
Fri 19/12/03 at 20:16
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Using middle fingers you look like one of those people 'playing
> computer games' in soaps or whatever. They press every button as much
> as possible and shout 'Go on!" "AWWW!!" like morons.

ah, but you've gotta love the 'community game boy' in coronation street!
this is the "brand new" console kids always get in this soap.....a bleedin' original gameboy!

at least Eastenders had some sense and bought a GBA as a prop.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.